Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Shinanigans: Living your life one flatbed at a time.

Turbo Shinanigans: Living your life one flatbed at a time.

It all started wit this :

Bought my first AE in 2002, it was "ontario mint" ! They lied, it was at bet 6/10. I raced it for one season and started the bodywork. Half way through i found this pretty little bitch.

The newer AE was a red 85 gts. It looked awesome it was a 8/10 when I had it up on the hoist looking at it. I had it painted m3 mica black and begin the heavy modding.

And begin list:

New brakes on all four corners, I went through 9 fenco calipers before I found 4 that worked. This was the 2nd biggest pain in the ass ever, but nothing compared to removing four links. The stainless lines weren’t to bad, BUY LINE WRENCHES they make life a 1000x better. The rotors were decent so I left them, I should of got new ones but I was already into to much of my budget.

Suspension:
    I ordered my AGX off club4ag, mr2/camaro combo. I really really like these shocks, they are pretty nice for the money. I found them a bit under dampened for the 8/6 setup I was running but not to the point where they didn’t work. On the front I initially used an 8kg 8” spring on a short stroked housing. I did this myself, it was super easy, the hardest part was probably getting the gland nut off. You may find the oem gland nut doesn’t fit quite right with the kyb’s, its ok use them. The provided gland nut is for mr2 use onry. The kybs from the camaro in the rear are straight forward and easy, they go on and off like oem. Rears were trd 6kg springs.

LSD
    The trd unit is a 1.5way lsd in the rear. I pulled the axels myself, and popped the centre housing out. The pumpkin is the only thing on the car I paid someone to setup. I wasn’t comfortable so I got yota to setup my diff, I put new seals and new bearings all around. Pay attention and make sure u replace everything u can, exp seals, crush sleeve and the locks on the diff. You will most likely have to grind off the nuts on the driveshaft retainer and use all new housing gaskets.

When removing the axel scribe it so u can put it back on the way it came off!

Appearance: The body work I did initially was done to quick. I had to get the car on the road so I halfassed it. I had holes under the windshield which I had to cut out and reweld all new metal in. This was hard and quite time consuming, not for the timid. I got a jblood bodykit from andys, the skirts were complete garbage but the rest fit arlight.

Wheels: MY ROH’s are 15x7 light and rare as hell. You never seem them, and no you cannot have them.

Fun stuff:

Powah: First motor was a 3rib 4age, I tossed it away even tho im stupid and shouldn’t off. Just cause u aren’t using the motor don’t get bored have 10 beer and take it apart …

I stuffed in a late model ae92 4agze. Tossed the supercharger stuff and all the wiring onto ebay and what not. I used all the bluetop accessories, including the water pump and hardware. Blue top cams were in the motor, and seemed to be ok in the shim department.
    Intake is a redtop intake i converted to rwd.

The motor was seriously gummed up all to hell, which is probably why the poor thing died after 300kms. I should of take the time hottanked it and got a new oil pump. Lesson learned ….

Turbo:

14b dsm turbo, freshly rebuilt and ported, was running 1bar. Intercooler is a custom core with the end tanks facing the motor for less piping. Piping is 2.5” and downpipe is 3” to a 2.5” reducer. The manifold is a homemade log mani

Cooling: Custom 1 off honda rad, i made my own mounts and the rad was dirt cheap.
    Fuel: 440cc supra injectors with a 195 walbro

EFI” good old megasquirt with edis, waiting on neil to give me the high res code!

Stuff left:

Supra front brake conversion: I’m using the adaptors from BRIAN and fittin mkII supra front brakes rotors pads ect. I’m using the AE lower control arms but with supra shock spindles. The spindle housings have been shorted 40mm like the rolla ones . Ill be using an MKIII brake master cylinder, with an AW11 brake booster converted for my own use. The bias will be taken care of by a supra bias valve and a willwood or tilton brake bias.

Rear mkI 79 supra rear diff. I managed to find TWO one open one lsd, I left all the mounts cept the spring perches. Im going to weld the perches onto the diff but about .5 inch higher. I found the trds were to low in the rear for my liking. I’m using a battleversion lat bar and home made heim 4links. The top 2 lnks will be off centred so that the mki mounts line up with the AE body. The brakes on my diff are just as big as the fronts !

1 off custom aluminum driveshaft and W58 tranny mounts.

Niteparts bellhousing with a late model ae92 clutch,fly and pressure plate combo. 220mm I belive or 212 I forget.

Exhaust will be made by me with 2.5” stainless tubing, overaxel with a U bend.

Now im redoing more bodywork … This time properly, I have cut so much metal out its hideous to look at . Ill have pics up soon, just haven’t had a chance to take any shots yet.

Unfortunatly i didnt take any snapshots before it blew up.

These are bearing I spung:
    [img][/img]

Last edited by TTC; 11-26-2006 at 02:00 PM.
    I am your 4ajesus

More rad info pls. I need one that size.

RETIRED

Its a honda del sol or civic rad, i cant remember the year. Just do a search for koyo knockoffs, youll find it. http://www.onin.ca/radiator.html
    I am your 4ajesus

Ohh...! So that was your car on pitobreads web site with the turbo start up thats was running rough.

I thougth that was Joels car that at one point had been turbo charged and then removed!

Sweet I really like both, your very lucky for those to have found you! (Whats your secret? )

Anyways keep up the goodwork I like them both.

P.S: Were are you racing these cars anyways? Have you been up to Calabogie yet?

NO bogie yet, and i prolly won't go. One daily driver shiny side down was enough.
    I am your 4ajesus

Shinanigans?

Huck it!

noice

first time I have ever seen pics of your car, the black hatch looks great with that bumper, and the track shot is awesome.

I know what you mean about road course 'willies' after rolling your other car. I haven't rolled anything myself but I've just had bad luck and had to witness way too many cars being rolled in my lapping events. Makes you wonder how some guys can track the same car for so many years ...I guess it's part luck and part being comfortable with the limits. I think some open parking lot drifting would be great for improving ones confidence ..but those kind of events are few and far between here in the east.

Will send you my hi-res stuff soon, I've been waiting for the next release to come out, but it keeps getting delayed cause of 'new' bugs, ie. fix one thing, break another. Plus when I was trying to counter for the missing priming pulse, I ended up messing up my cold start settings. So now I've got to do some work, upgrade to the next release and roll back my cold start, shouldn't be long tho.

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

Update on the ontario mintness. I have cut out even more .... since these were taken.

Shot of the supra rear end.

I am your 4ajesus

Man, I might have to look into that rad. Would be so much better for the intercooler piping.

I assume you have no cooling issues with the 2" thick unit?
    Matt H.

Nope but she needs a fan, ill overheat at idle with it Quit stealin my intercooler ideas!
    I am your 4ajesus

im stealing your intercooler idea to man sorry. ill still give you credit tho.

Lol its ok, it works really well. Gives you tons of room, shorter charge pipes too. And yes aaron im filling the fawking spaces with sheet metal so stfyou.
    I am your 4ajesus

Haha, well I have a decent little fan here right now. I'll just transfer it over.
    Matt H.

hey what ecu are you running is it mega squirt of still stock or what just wondering cuz i was thinking of boosting mine but not sure what to run

Megasquirt v3 with edis.
    I am your 4ajesus

are you running stock internals and what about the head gasget? i like the set up:o

Old setup:

late model gze, fwd intake manifold conversion, smallport head 8:9:1 uncracked motor.
    bluetop cams, oil pump killed it
    ported 14b turbo, log style manifold
    still working on the new setup
    I am your 4ajesus

nice project,
    I was wonder what type of front suspension you were going to run?
    The idea of running MA61 or MX73 struts crossed my head, but i dont know where to get custom RCA to mount to the LCA.

O ya forgot to tell you.

Brian on this board has or is or is going to!! Send me some custom rcas to allow the supra suspension and brakes to fit my car. As far as ino i got the last one.

I am using 8kg springs and coil-over sleeves, short stroked casings, mk2 supra brakes.

I'm using an aw11 brake booster with an mk3 brake master cylinder, i havent yet verified that this will work. But ill know in a month or so when i get all my parts together.

edit: im 90% also sure that 4bolt cressie brakes will bolt on no problem. Many of the mk2 supra folks do this, its a big upgrade for a supra and huge for an AE. But they are heavy and I wasnt pleased with the added unsprung weight.
    I am your 4ajesus

The Cressi brakes will fit the strut casings, but you're going to have to run at least 15" wheels to clear the calipers.

What I did with my MKII supra brakes was run just the regular celica gt steering arms, stock corolla ball joints, and a buddy on here shortened the celica arms by an inch. Huge steering angle with my stock power steering rack still. I am going to buy some t3 celica supra rca's in the coming months. Supra brakes are really nice, but have a definate bias problem, with more of the proportioning in the front than the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?