Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Birch's RA21 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    My poor little car is in SM and it sucks. You get put up against Skyline gtr's with internal engine mods and such. Damn near anything goes in SM so saying you are going to be overpowered for it might be quite a stretch.
    I meant overpowered by the competition, My one hundred and whatever horsepower isn't going to overpower anything...

Thanks Brett, I'll probably take you up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Birch View Post
    Does relocating suspension pick ups include traction brackets and beefing up shock mounting points? 'Cause I was gonna make some traction brackets that incorporate shock mounts... I don't know if I can trust mounting coilovers on the stock shock studs, I'm guessing they weren't really designed to hold the full weight of the car on their own.
    Probably. Read the scca solo rules closely. Stuff like that is pretty ambigious and not likely to raise any eyebrows. I've seen lots of street mod cars with lots of bits removed for weight savings that should be there. The suspension rules are basiclly inplace to discourage anyone from doing serious race suspension modifications like adding double wishbones or relocating stock stuff so you can drop the car 4+ inchs or something. At practices and NCT events no one cares, but if you do a regional event, which I would recomend as they're often the most fun events, if you beat someone and they take a disliking to you and know about those mods they could challenge you.

Those ae86 megans coilovers are an option too if you want to be legit to the rules. The rear coils mount in the stock location but are still height adjustable.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 09-22-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Those ae86 megans coilovers are an option too if you want to be legit to the rules. The rear coils mount in the stock location but are still height adjustable.
    I have the D2 rear coilovers that are true spring over shock body coilovers... I'll have to look at those rules...

Minor update, the steering is done and works beautifully, and the front and rear wiring are loomed and secured, next thing is trying to get the dash wiring and relays hooked up and operating, and then pull the struts out and mount the coilovers in the front.

Stripped the front suspension again (I could do this in my sleep by now) for the front coilovers. The inserts fit in the strut perfectly but I had to modify the strut towers to accommodate AE86 top hat stud spacing and for the camber adjustment. Nothing too serious, drilling, welding and painting.

A look at the turbines with a coat of white enamel. I don't like the paint, it's too easy to scratch, so I'm thinking about powder coating...

Got laid off last week, so a bit of progress while I wait for the next job.

Finished up the handbrake, which required a surprising amount of engineering for something that small.

After 5 tries, I finally got the hang of my flaring tool and made up the new Cunifer hardlines. I gotta say, this stuff bends and rebends great by hand. If you screw it up, just bend it back straight and do it again. The only lines I have left to make are the hardlines on the rear axle, which I will do after I weld the rear swaybar brackets onto it, and the fuel hardline.

Also mounted the fuel pump and got it wired up (thanks brett & sunray for the help)
    It's an Aeromotive SS pump which can switch from carb or efi service by switching out a spring. Perfect for me with the temporary efi motor and my longterm boosted carb goals.

So thats where she sits right now. I'm working on a bracket to mount the MSD 6A & coil on, as there is surprisingly little space in that engine bay. I got the bottom end of the 4age buttoned up with the new oil pan and mounts. It turns out the clutch is done so I'm going to look for a lighter flywheel at the same time.

Mike.. the 6A body fits real nice in the void between the shock tower and the firewall.. right beside the brake/clutch master.. then the wires can run through the hole there behind the shock tower and come out near the battery.. works nice..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend View Post
    Mike.. the 6A body fits real nice in the void between the shock tower and the firewall.. right beside the brake/clutch master.. then the wires can run through the hole there behind the shock tower and come out near the battery.. works nice..

Brett
    Hmmm... I never thought of that spot. I moved the battery over to the passenger side and I will be getting a light weight battery rather than moving it to the trunk so I was thinking about the drivers side where the battery was for a bracket to mount the 6A, the coil, and the 6BTM (which I will need to control the timing once I switch to carbs). I'll have a look at the spot you suggested though, as I still need a spot for the oil catch can and accusump (which I want to get for insurance since I butchered the oil pan).

BTW: The roof is like a golf ball with all the little dents and I'm not sure my limited bodywork skills are up to the task so... Is there anyone who is good with bodywork that can give me some ideas about how to fix it up?
    Last edited by Birch; 10-18-2008 at 10:37 AM.

how big are the dents? Like somebodies been walking on the roof? Its the hardest panel to actually get straight because its so flat that any amount of stretching just warps things more. I know it sounds like bad advice, but as long as the dents are small (like 1/8" depth or less) bondo it. Or mess around with heat shrinking with a torch and keep hammering to an absolute minimum.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    how big are the dents? Like somebodies been walking on the roof? Its the hardest panel to actually get straight because its so flat that any amount of stretching just warps things more. I know it sounds like bad advice, but as long as the dents are small (like 1/8" depth or less) bondo it. Or mess around with heat shrinking with a torch and keep hammering to an absolute minimum.
    The dents are a variety of sizes but alot of them are fairly significant. They were made by kids sitting on the roof while it sat in a field for years. They aren't really deep but some are quite broad and the curved bit above the windshield is nearly flat between the A pillars. This might be one of the few things I pay someone else to do...

Cool project,I'd love to have one of those for summer driver.The wife wants me to build HER one so thats a good start I suppose.

On a side note you really gotta clean up the garage,it'll make fixing those dents much easier as you'll be able to actually reach the car afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by max attack View Post
    On a side note you really gotta clean up the garage,it'll make fixing those dents much easier as you'll be able to actually reach the car afterwards.
    I know, and I do fairly regularly but I tend to spread out and do bits of many jobs at the same time... My shop is like my mind, random bits of chaos sprinkled far and wide.

Finished the aluminum bracket to mount the 6A, Coil and 6BTM all in one place in the spot where the battery used to go. I don't have the coil or timing box to measure size yet, so I'm hoping they'll fit without issue.

Also started checking the circuits in my new harness. Horn, signals, backup lights, hazards, wiper & washer, electric fan are all good so far. But the headlights and heater circuits are not. I'm running them through relays and the steering column multi-switch but I seem to be screwing up the arrangement 'cause I'm popping fuses like crazy. Adapting a hot rod style harness which wasn't prepared with relays in mind and mating it to OEM multi-switches and stuff is proving more difficult than I thought, but at least I'm getting some electrical education out of it.

FYI, those mastercraft portable jumpstarters make excellent power sources for checking circuits. I just hook it up like a battery, power up the clamps when I need juice, and cut when I start messing with connections. Easier than pulling battery terminal connections off and on.

any battery charger will work for that too.

I couldn't work in that chaos, I'd go mental

There's order in my chaos, everything gets spread around by what's in my head at the time. It's like a secret code for scatterbrains.

Finished the chassis wiring today so now I'm working out the last electrical details like the gauges, e-brake switch, etc. it's starting to look like a car again, instead of a big mechano set. Also did some sanding in preparation for the bodywork while I wait for more money for parts. Gotta roll the fenders, patch a couple holes, pound out some dents, make a new rear fascia panel. and so on.

Did some more sanding. Have I mentioned I hate sanding? Also cut out the crumpled rear fascia to weld in a new piece. The trunk has had some bodywork before. Someone filled small dents that can be easily pounded out. Same with the roof. You can see the golfball effect on the roof.

I'm out of money for parts at the moment so I have to focus on the free but labour intensive stuff.

What is that cunifer stuff ?

Edit found it

http://store.fedhillusa.com/cnf3.aspx

Where did you get that ?
    Last edited by Answ3r; 11-01-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Wright's Supply in the UK, through Ebay. Cost around $140 for 50 ft of tubing and 30 end fittings I think, which was about half the price of Fed Hill. I still have a 25' roll and half the fittings left to do my 4runner.

Just got laid off again so I finally get some time to work on the fun stuff. Mostly bodywork so far but starting to get some work done on the engine.

Turbo. Not for the first engine though. The first engine is NA until I build a proper turbo motor with the 7 rib I have.

Still need a bunch of parts so it's slow going until I get another job. Gotta work for money but get no time for fun. Get time for fun, got no money for parts.
    Last edited by Birch; 12-20-2008 at 08:51 AM.

id love some side shots of the sticker kit. my uncle wants to put the stock stripes back on his ra21. the car looks so rust free for a 73 . awesome job so far. love the turbo
    simply pointing out stupid

Quote Originally Posted by rob rayne View Post
    id love some side shots of the sticker kit. my uncle wants to put the stock stripes back on his ra21. the car looks so rust free for a 73 . awesome job so far. love the turbo
    Thanks. I can do that. I'll post some side shots next week.