Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Swap 3tc into AE86

HOW TO: Swap 3tc into AE86

What you need-

1) 3tc flywheel
    2) 3tc belhousing
    3) 3tc starter
    4) 3tc radiator is recomended for neatness(or buy a 240 rad like i did, bigger and better, same outlet spots)
    5) for sr5 the exaust is on the other side, you'll need to weld up a new downpipe, for 4age it's the same side.
    6) If you do N/A then you'll need a custom header, 3tc ones hit the steering arm. Or just go turbo and don't wory about it
    7) two metal plates and 4 holes need to be drilled accordingly. See below

What you can use from your AE86

- t50
    -driveshaft and diff
    - engine mounts
    - slave cylinder
    - alternator and mounts for it.

Step 1-

Disconnect all lines and electric plugs, drain all fluids and remove the tranny and engine mounts and shifter.

Step 2-

Take out old engine, take off tranny. Put the 3tc belhousing on the T50. Put the 3tc flywheel and your original clutch(4ag and 4ac clutch work on the flywheel) on the 3tc. Then bolt up the tranny to the motor.

Step 3-

Put engine back in, bolt up the tranny to the car first. Keep the hoist on the engine and lign it up with the engine mounts.

Then make plates as such, the 3tc will sit a tiny bit more forward. Some can get away with drilling a hole next to the current one but sometimes it's further forward depending on the car.

Drivers side

Step 4-

The dizzy line needs to be extended because it's on the other side of the motor. Starter hook ups are the same. The alternator and mount will bolt onto the 3tc with very little modification, a little drilling help is all that is needed.

Step 5-

Tuning and other basic hook ups. You get the idea, I just wanted to lay out the basic things you need for the swap and what needs to be modified. It's an easy swap and a great choice for the SR5 guys out there. And even you 4ag guys who want more displacement and awsomeness.

The 3tc is a single cam, 1.8litre, 8valve. It had hemispherical chambers(4cyl hemi), cast iron block with much strength. There is good aftermarket support, and a site dedicated to it www.toyota3tc.com

Boosting them is common because of their strong and simple design, they can handle about 12psi stock, and can also rev above 8grand.

Good LUCK, ask more questions if I suck at explaining. I might have forgot a few things.....maybe
    Last edited by Rob.K; 11-05-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Its a cam in block, not overhead cam but great write-up anyway. Great motor to if you aspire to awesome power output.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    Its a cam in block, not overhead cam but great write-up anyway. Great motor to if you aspire to awesome power output.
    Truth, I had to take it out myself. Not sure why I put overhead, but w/e I changed it. For those who don't know it is in fact a pushrod motor.

I had a question about this already, so here's the answer-

The 3tc comes carbed, it can be made EFI fairly easily(not cheap though). Lots of people run dual webbers and holleys.
    Last edited by Rob.K; 11-05-2008 at 07:01 AM.

The nice thing about putting the 3TC on the rack cross member is you can set the engine back about 3/4". A header is not really neccesary on a 3TC as the stock exhaust manifold flows really well, with built in scavange. The down pipes can be cut off, rotated, and welded back on to fit around the steering shaft. I only had a Holley 5200 on the race car, but was still able to beat other 3TCs with bigger carbs and headers because I had the right cam, the right air/fule mixture, and the right timing. Colt cams has some awesome 3TC grinds too. I haven't checked lately, but there used to be a ton of high performance parts available for these engines too. I used to be in contact with a guy in the Carolinas that was getting 500hp with a super charger on it.

I know nothing about this motor.

cool
    HeatBloom - Street Style Since 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom

Very cool indeed! I like the potential of a 3TC swapped AE86. hmm...

Very cool indeed. To be honest, I've never payed much attention to the 3tc...had no idea it was
    a pushrod motor.

Rob, I take your car's back on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by drader View Post
    I know nothing about this motor.

cool

Not many people do, I know that, that's why i've started the thread. Sure there are better motors than the 3tc but the cost to build one up is far less than most motors, they're cheap and strong.

Phil- Nope not on the road, I'm waiting on my aluminum 3tc flywheel. I tried to make the 4ac one work, due to it's similar size and bolt pattern but no. This car is off the road till spring time.

[QUOTE=Rob.K;228881] I'm waiting on my aluminum 3tc flywheel. QUOTE]

I guess this means you're not interested in the 10,000 RPM one I've got kickn' around eh?

The one I pulled from my car didn't have or need a different exhaust manifold or custom mounts.

if i had an sr5, i would definitely run a carbed, cammed 2-3tc.

itd be very bryan adams. almost to the point of being chad kroeger. or bono.

-Brett- a corolla...

what car does the 3tc come out of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    Stop hoping for a new AE86, when we have em already.
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

The TE72, for one.

I'm stoked for my 2T-(T)E build.
    1990 Supra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    what car does the 3tc come out of?
    the 2tc and 3 tc's
    =
    old corollas.
    pre 4a.

all through the 70's!! OMFG too bad they're all rusted and gone. or there'd be bigillions of them.

don't hate on the 2tc's they re tough too.. and have better flowing heads from what i've read.. at least the early motors

-Brett- a corolla...

[QUOTE=Rastaracer;228884]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob.K View Post
    I'm waiting on my aluminum 3tc flywheel. QUOTE]

I guess this means you're not interested in the 10,000 RPM one I've got kickn' around eh?
    No, maybe for a $100 but not $300 sorry.

3tc came in 1980-82 rwd corollas. 2tc Came in rwd models 74-79 i think. 2tc is very similar but 1.6L and some other small differences, I'm not very familiar with them.

Cavi - That's weird usually they do require restructuring of the mounts, there must of been some shifting around in your car(like i said different for ever car). THe stock header will work but if you want to run an aftermarket one, they usually don't fit around the ae86 steering arm.

I'd love to do a 3T-G, it's cool.

But, I'll stick with my 4A-GZE.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS250 Obsidian "F-Sport 6MT" with LSD
    1986 AE86 Corolla GT-S Supercharged

Mac, AE86boy had a 3TC in his Starlet from a few years back... complete with t50 tranny too.. if you need any extra help with that stuff.. he would be the man to talk too
    Phil - DJ Ambiguous
    1984 Grey Zenki AE86 SR5 Hatch (Stolen)
    1985 Green Zenki AE86 GTS Hatch (SOLD!)
    1986 Red Kouki AE86 GTS Hatch (RIP!)
    1991 Black MR2 SW20 Turbo (SOLD!)
    1997 Green Acura 1.6 EL Premium (RIP)
    2010 Silver Toyota Venza V6 AWD GGV10 Touring Edition

Bump the undead thread!!

Okay... so I'm doing this swap. I not worried about exhaust, that's all easy and going to be turbo. I'm going to megasquirt it with a AEM wideband, and maybe a crane cams digital ignition box, depending on the cheap options that I have. I am looking for a little disambiguation on the motor mounts though. I've found on other forums that people have done this without modding the engine mounts, some say to use the rubber part from the '86, some say to cut an extra slot in the subframe (slightly further forward than the stock one), Rob here says to make plates, one dude even said to space the subframe (no way IMO!!). When making plates, do they go in between the engine bracket and the rubber mount... or in between the subframe bracket and the rubber mount. I'm thinking the former.

Further, do I really need to do any of this? I'd like the engine to sit as far back as I can get it. A 3tc+turbo weighs quite a bit more than the 4a and I'd like to keep the weight in the centre of the car (I have even lightened the front by quite a bit, more on this later)... I don't plan on using any of the stock drivetrain... w-58, custom tranny mount, custom one piece drive shaft and ma46 rearend.

Thanks for your help

Bry
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rock View Post
    -1 for mean spiritedness.

xx
    Last edited by Bangnscrape; 05-16-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangnscrape View Post
    Any idea how much a 3tc swap would cost?
    That's a pretty open question... any swap costs as much as you're willing to spend. A 3tc is going to depend on how you set it up. If I were to source the fabrication I plan on doing for this it would be 5k plus (both manifolds, custom ic piping, custom intercooler, custom harness, exhaust, brackets... and much more).

But the flip side of this is, it can be done fairly cheap. If you keep it carbed, n/a with stock gts drive line... than all you need is some kind of ignition control, low pressure FP, brackets, rad and some creativity. Also I bet this motor can be built to higher HP for less than a 4age. Certainly better torque.

I'm still looking for answers for my questions though.

Bry
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rock View Post
    -1 for mean spiritedness.