Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: jz in my pants

just saw this car last weekend its clean as hell. now let me use your shop for my car haha

is it a hachi roku Clay?

thx again for the deal on the wheel they rub like mad but meh, let me know on the pipe before you scrap it

Wow you don't see this often. Are you sure this is a soarer motor? It looks like it has a fan clutch, did you change it already? If not, maybe a jza70 motor? Not that it really matters but I'm curious.

-Matt-Panic!

Yeah i'm sure. I took it out of the soarer myself. It was not a hydro fan car.

On another note, I hooked up the clutch today using a ma60 supra hardline, and my dad fabbed up some custom fuel hardlines which we installed (the 22re has the harlines run to the passenger side) along with a new fuel filter.

Looks sex. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Hope to have it running in the celica chassis by the end of the week.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Here's some ****e update pics. All that needs to be plumbed now is a rad and the IC, and the wiring to the chassis. The stock Celica PS lines worked fine with some adjusting to the bends. The big supra diff is now in the subframe. It just needs new bearings. This car is damn near test drive time. Anyone know how i can hook up my manual speedo cable to the tranny? I'm thinking i just remove the electronic senso andgear assembly and put a manual job, but i haven't got around to it.

Used the stock heat shield mounting holes. Have to make a shield for them still.

93 v6 4runner fuel filter is identical to the stock soarer unit.

cleaned diff housing. lots of wire wheel fun here.

someone buy this 5m
    Last edited by clay72; 03-12-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

show me a pic of your digital speed sensor. If its like the ones in the mk4 supra and is300 w58s, then its a digital speed sensor that was made to fit in the exact same hole as the old manual ones. In which case just remove it, and insert the speedo gear from your w58. You will probably have to change the speedo gear on the output shaft however, thats a PITA.

The otherstyle I know of is what came in the mk3 Supras. They had the standard speedo gears same as the previous gen just for the dash cluster, but on the other side there was another digital speed sensor for the abs only.

I'm back at school so i cant snap you a pic now, but what you are saying makes sense. The digi sensor is help in with a single 12mm and sealed with an O-ring. There is only one speed sensor on this trans (as far as i can remember).
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Some 3SGTE trans. came with a mechanical to electrical speed sensor adaptor. Just a thought, I have no idea if it will work correctly...

that sounds like what this is then. You should be able to just remove it and drop in the one off your w58, but like I said the output shaft speedo gear may not be the right one. There are two output shaft speedo gears, 10 tooth ones and 11 tooth ones. I would assume the digital speedo gears meshed with the same gears as the manual speedo cable ones but I'd have to check the EPC to confirm that. I belive your celica's w58 had a 10 tooth one, which is probably whats on your jz tranny. There are many different speedo cable gears though, 30 to 35 teeth. If your keeping the same rear end gearing (your celica has a 3.9 rear end which is excellent for your motor tranny combo, same as the 87/88 supra turbos actually) and tire diameter then what you have shoud be fine as long as the output shaft speedo gears match. On the CS forum theres a thread titled Speedo Gear Calculator or something by Slip. I belive its stickied in the general tech section. Take a look at it and my recent posts on the end of the thread if you want to learn more about these gears and correcting your speedo and all.

I'm putting in the diff from my 85 supra parts car. It has a 4.10 set in it. I'm not too concerned about the speedo woring right off the bat. I just want to drive. I can estimate speed for a couple months if it comes to it.

Slow -- not slow -- Fast
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Its an 85 celica right? I'd get a truetrac and throw that in the celica diff (assuming its an 85). The stock lsd gets pretty unreliable around 300rwhp.

1UZPWR is offline More projects than friends
    I've got the bits and peices from a Supra R154 that will move your gearshift forward slightly.

Inside piece, top plate, and stick. The gear stick I think might be the same, but the top plate is definitely different than a Soarer. The top plate doesn't extend past the rear most set of bolts that attach the plate.

Trade straight up for your Soarer parts if you're interested.

Wish I'd seen this sooner, for your sake. I come on DK much more regularily now.

Also have the speedo gear from the Supra R154. Pretty sure I won't need it, but that I need to confirm.

Oh and if you still have the remains of the Soarer, I'd be interested in the front lower control arms if it has any.
    Last edited by 1UZPWR; 02-26-2009 at 01:31 AM.

I know what you want those parts for yeah if you switch to the mk3 supra r154 shifter housing you'll be able to use the stock center console, but you will still have to notch it a little or run a short throw shifter. The r154 speedo gears are the same as the w58 ones.

damn... wicked swap.

MOAR PICS

Its an 85 celica right? I'd get a truetrac and throw that in the celica diff (assuming its an 85). The stock lsd gets pretty unreliable around 300rwhp.
    Unfortunately it's a 84. I have a supra parts car though. I was going to swap the subframe from the supra, but its really rusty and gross. Instead we ended up just modifying the celica subframe to fit the larger supra housing. I want to get a trutrac as soon as possible but money is tight. I'll just have to fry the stock clutch diff for a while.

Wish I'd seen this sooner, for your sake.
    This sounds ominous. What did I do wrong? I'm fine with where the shifter ended up. Its about 3 inches back, but i'm a tall guy so it will be better within my reach with the seat back. The stock console should fit with minimal modification if any. I haven't test fit it yet.

MOAR PICS
    Sorry, all my pics are **** cell cam. When it starts getting really buttoned up, i promise some good photos.

Last edited by clay72; 02-27-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    This sounds ominous. What did I do wrong? I'm fine with where the shifter ended up. Its about 3 inches back, but i'm a tall guy so it will be better within my reach with the seat back. The stock console should fit with minimal modification if any. I haven't test fit it yet.
    Oh, I did briefly read the thread, and got the impression that you were looking for ways to move the gear shift forward. My bad. You have done nothing wrong whatsoever!

I drove my friend's 3sgte swapped 85 celica last saturday, quite amusing. Your build should be fantastic. I'm all for big power in old cars

guys who run the supra r154 and stock shifter have to notch their shifter surrounds, what you have is much further back, your going to have to hack up the center console as well and you won't be able to run the stock shift boot. I'd take 1uzpwrs offer and swap the parts. The shifter will still be a touch further then back but it will be livable at least.

your going to have to hack up the center console
    Gross. Sounds like I will be swapping the parts then.

Oh and if you still have the remains of the Soarer, I'd be interested in the front lower control arms if it has any.
    I have the complete soarer at home. I just bought the drivetrain out of it, but even after telling the guy who sold it to me (a friend of mine) to come pick up the reast of the car multiple times, he hasn't. I'll ask him if he just wants me to take it to the crusher. If so, i have a complete soarer with no bent suspension pieces, just a caved in RHD drivers door. Has the big LSD diff, LED trunk spoiler, everything.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

hey, dibs on that diff. Can you get me diff code off the info sticker in the drivers door for it? What year of soarer are we talking? I have those r154 shifter housing parts too if it doesn't work out with 1uzpwr

Damn lol I could use an LSD haha

I'm free basically any weekend to come exchange parts. Maybe wait till you've heard from your buddy about the car.

Supra shift parts should move the gearshift forward about 2 inches at the base, so depending on the shape of the stick it's self, you might get a bit more. I'll bring everything, and we can exchange whatever looks different.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if your buddy is interested in selling it, for the right price I might take the whole car, whatever's left that is.
    I have 2 SC400s, would be good to have some spare parts.
    Last edited by 1UZPWR; 03-01-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Alright i'll try to get ahold of him. I think what will end up happening is i sell the stuff off it and just give him a percentage. The main problem for me with getting anyone parts is that i'm at UBC now, til the middle of April basically, and the Soarer is in Abbotsford.

I have two of the rear ends. Suprafiend, is the LSD unit in the soarer interchangable with the ma61 supra rear end by any chance? I believe the soarer diff is an A01B but i can't remember exactly
    Last edited by clay72; 03-01-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car