Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Who are you kidding, that's not even a Corolla anymore" Corolla build

The "Who are you kidding, that's not even a Corolla anymore" Corolla build

So I have had this Corolla for about three years now and it has undergone some crazy changes over the years. I'm not going to get into too much detail now, but this build will be ongoing through the winter here in preparation for the 2009 racing and drifting seasons.

My ultimate goal for 2009 is to have myself and the car ready to run the GT support race at the Edmonton Indy.

Here is how the car started out when I bought it back in 2005.

All that was done at that point was the MKII Supra wheels and a crappy Ractive intake filter.

I drove it that way for a few months, then lowered the car on some Eibach springs and drove it that way for most of the summer of 2006. As you can see, the springs were a bit soft.

That winter with the help of Glenn (Supradevil) the car was boosted and received a few suspension changes. TRD shocks, ridiculously stiff AFCO springs for the rear. It drifted, but it wasn't pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAbfQ7mcn2Q

So in the summer of 2007 the car underwent a transformation. The engine popped in the fall of 2006 from my being a dumbass and overloading it at low RPM on the highway. So that engine came out and another stocker went in, with which I spent a little more time paying attention to the A/F ratios and it ran solid for the next two seasons with a LOT of track and street time.

The majority of the transformation was cosmetic in 2007. The car received new paint, real suspension (coilovers in the front, Swift springs in the back, Tokico Illuminas all the way around, Cusco anti-sway bars, fender braces ... and the list goes on). Also thrown into the mix were some 15x8 0 offset Sportmax 002 wheels.

At the end of the day, literally the car was painted in a day just before a drift event, the stickers were put onto paint just 16 hours old, this is how she looked. The kit is v-speed, cheap, but it works.

The car stayed that way through the 2007 season and held up quite well, save for an exploding ring and pinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf8SIt0g6b4

Then the car received some more upgrades in the spring of 2008. Origin wide body fenders, proper JDM bumper lights and some paint touchups.

At the end of this summer I decided to take the plunge and step up to 17s. Normally they look crazy huge on a Corolla, but the right wheel can look decent if you ask me.

Next up, the true definition of a transformation.
    Matt H.

The car has gone through some changes, for sure. But nothing compared to what's currently happening. The car has been stripped down completely in preparation for sandblasting and a basic primer before it comes back for all of the fabrication work.

The plans for the car over the winter include:

- Full GT racing spec roll cage tied into all suspension points in the car
    - Lexus 1uzfe 4.0-litre V8
    - Fully built MKIII Supra R154 5 speed transmission (already being built in Calgary)
    - All of the ridiculously expensive custom parts from Australia to adapt this transmission to an engine that never came with a manual tranny
    - Custom one-piece driveshaft
    - Nissan S13 independent rear suspension and differential(s)
    - Custom coilovers at all four corners
    - Upgraded brakes, likely Z32 calipers and rotors
    - Wilwood clutch and brake pedal assembly with dual brake master cylinders and built in remote-adjustable balance bar for adjusting brake bias on the fly
    - Standalone engine management
    - Custom gauge cluster
    - Fully rewiring car from scratch
    - Custom trunk floor made to house fuel cell, surge tank and battery securely and safely
    - Dual fuel pumps to ensure surge tank never runs low on fuel
    - Custom housing for coolant, power steering and washer fluid
    - All windows removed, side and rear replaced with Lexan, front with new windshield
    - Bracing removed from trunk, hood and doorskins
    - A whole schwackload of smaller changes to the interior and exterior

The car was stripped down over the last week or so.

This is how it sat about five days ago. Doors, fenders, engine, front suspension and most of the interior removed.

A whole bunch of the interior crap that was pulled out.

Taking stuff out of Glenn's garage so things can stay nice and tidy while we work on the car. The engine, turbo setup and rear differential were snapped up by Corolla lovers ridiculously quickly.

Glenn welding together a bracket for the rear of the car to go up on the rotisserie.

Matt H.

And up on the rotisserie she goes.

Glenn prepares to cut out the trunk floor and panhard mount. I'm not sure I'll ever want to work on a car on the ground again after this.

Here we can see the mounts for the rotisserie. There is another plate sandwiched on the inside of the frame rail. This unit is solid!

So the trunk floor has been cut out and it was dropped off at the sandblasters to test how well the blasting will go on the paint and undercoating. We want it stripped completely bare to ensure optimum contact and strength in all of the welds.

Going off what the sandblaster said there shouldn't be any issues with blasting this thing right clean. After that there will be a bit of rust repair and some panels will be cut out and/or welded up. First thing will likely be figuring out positioning of the rear subframe and suspension. Once positioned the roll cage will be tied into all of the mounts. By the time the cage is finished the hope is that the parts will be here from Australia and the engine and tranny positioning can begin.
    Matt H.

Gnar!

Sweet strut bar btw.
    Last edited by JungleMatic; 01-15-2009 at 08:30 AM.

CAR STUFF FOR SALE: CLICK ME. Link to a facebook album?! So smart! Always updated.

WTB: ST ITB Velocity Stacks

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Gnar!

Sweet strut bar btw.
    It's for sale if you want it. hehe.
    Matt H.

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    wow... such dedication... good stuff matt... i never went thru this whole process... if i ever had to, i'd give up my 86...
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

This is going to be awesome matt! you're going to LOVE 1uz power lol

steve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Fastest corolla ever? could be.............

Nice non-corolla, there will be lots of real done up rolla's in Edmonton this year, that really don't contain much of what we would consider a corolla. Turbo's and rotaries and wheels wider than a barn. Should be fun.

wow nice project... very ambitious. I hope this is your full time job cause getting everything done you listed for 2009 is gonna be tough! At the rate I seem to be able to get stuff done thats about 5 years work lol. Hope you can pull it off, should be sweet when its done.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee!.
    I am your 4ajesus

F'N Awesome.. THis is the **** I like to see.. You do it.. CAUSE YOU CAN.. not because its a corolla..
    Thanks dude, you rock
    Al!
    Needs parts? msg me

Hotness...insanity...awesomeness...the words that come to mind. I have to say Matt, you and Corby are an ambitious bunch, all the best.

As for the rotisserie, how'd you guys get the car up so high?

Quote Originally Posted by philProject.D. View Post

As for the rotisserie, how'd you guys get the car up so high?
    He probably just lifted it up. Have you meet Matt? He's like 500 lbs

CAR STUFF FOR SALE: CLICK ME. Link to a facebook album?! So smart! Always updated.

WTB: ST ITB Velocity Stacks

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    He probably just lifted it up. Have you meet Matt? He's like 500 lbs
    hahahaha
    Last edited by philProject.D.; 01-15-2009 at 02:39 PM.

ooo this is very exciting!!

lulz good bye brake booster,

damn i like where this is going
    lolwut

Wow Matt you have a full plate this winter eh? This should be awesome...love the rotiserie,I sooo wish I had done that to strip all the undercoating on my car.
    So your getting it blasted? Isn't there some place in Edmonton that does chemical dipping?I thought I saw an add a few years back in the Quicktimes Classifieds.
    Lane M

Sweet matt! Engine stand roticeries are the best. Yours looks way better than mine and it goes all the way around. Who is doing your cage? Let me know if you need a tube bender.

Check these guys out for brake system stuff I might be putting an order in with them in the next couple months.
    http://obp.uk.net/

Corby Martin
    1986 Corolla GT-S 13b REW Silvia N2 Hot Mess -SUPER SOLD
    1986 4Runner SR5 Panda Tofu delivery special edition.-FOR SALE

what rear subframe are you using or are you gonna make your own?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    Stop hoping for a new AE86, when we have em already.
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

I'm gonna be pretty damn jealous of the final product! Even if it's sitting on 17's