Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: The KingSpence Corolla Build.

That's ****ed spence. Just run a straight vacuum source and the wastegate should be opening at like 3-4psi, that's a really light spring in there.
    Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedragon View Post
    That's ****ed spence. Just run a straight vacuum source and the wastegate should be opening at like 3-4psi, that's a really light spring in there.
    No dice. I tried that when I got home, and I got the same issue. So I pulled the motor last night, and managed to get it back running today.

Matt, remember when you were at my place, and you found that the wastegate spun, and you said it "wasn't right"; I think that was the start to my problem.

Had to pull the motor just to get the stupid wastegate off.

Removed the cap, removed the spring, and this is what I see. You can see four set screws bolted in each hole, but one set screw unthreaded itself, and was getting tossed around inside. By not being threaded in I am assuming it was letting air past. All the set screws were loose.

I undid the set screws and yanked the top and this is what was underneath, that 17mm nut was quite loose, and that was causing the wastegate to spin, and leak exhaust out the bottom.

I put everything back together tight, and it works much better than before. When I use my finger to compress the spring, you can hear air being pushed out the top, and it creates a vaccum when you release the spring, something it never did before.

Car started right up, no issues. I let it run for about 5 min, then ran inside to change. When I came back out, the car wouldn't spark, it just turned over and over. I couldn't get it started after about 5 min of trying. Went to dinner, still didn't start afterwards. Finally I got it started, it blew smoke like a mother****er, and ran great. The wastegate works perfect.

I'll check the timing and compression tonight, just for minds sake; timing could be why it didn't start. idk, im sure ill figure it out.

Me=Happy. Well, for now.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

What type of ewg are you running?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    Ah yes, the elusive Mr. Watson returns to the old school Toyota forum...with a Datsun.

Quote Originally Posted by rywats View Post
    What type of ewg are you running?
    Its an XS Power external wastegate, with a 3.63 psi spring. Ive never really heard of the company before, but the website seems pretty legit.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Im running XSpower stuff too. Its got me a bit concerned, but the cars not on the road right now so it doesnt really matter.
    It seemed like an EBAY ching chong brand too me it works, but you'll probably find higher quaility stuff at wallmart in there 'plastic chrome' section.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

I know the company, I am using one of their FM intercooler kits.
    Ah yes, the elusive Mr. Watson returns to the old school Toyota forum...with a Datsun.

Ebay china stuff is usually ok.
    But...pull it appart and locktite the screws. They fall appart.
    Quality is fine though. Loose screws is the only issue I've had with mine.

RETIRED

Yeah, hope you loctited them in Spence. Good to hear it's working again.
    Matt H.

Yeah....I didn't loctite the screws. I thought about it, but I figured if there wasn't loctite on before, it shouldn't need any.

Im pretty sure when I paint the car, ill pull the motor, stitch weld the bay and interior, and put the motor back in. Ill loctite the wastegate for sure then. It only took me 2 hours to pull, and 3 hours to put back in.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Another ****ty update:

So I had the unstoppable urge to take my car for a spin tonight, I was feeling a bit stressed, and we haven't had a good time together in a few days now. So I run out in the -24 degree weather to start the car and came back inside. Started up no issues at all, and idled fine. When i went to go check on it it 5 min later, the interior was hot boxed with smoke, so I pull it into the garage. The car was still idling fine. My dad says its just from the exhaust leaking in through all the rust holes in the rear of the car (seems believable). I unplug the oil catch can line so the valve cover is breathing freely, and take the car out. As im driving, I notice I have a 500m+ cloud of smoke behind me, so I turn around ASAP, and get the **** home. Literally 10 feet from my driveway I see FLAMES coming out of the hood by the driver headlight!! Holy ****, flames! FLAMES! I shut the car off, and pushed it into the garage.

Remove the intake, there is a pool of oil in the intake side of the turbo and the fins are soaked in oil. It looked like flames came out of the air filter, is all black. Im so confused, how does fire come out an air filter?? The harness is not damaged at all, the car runs fine. Checked the oil and the oil just touches the indicator, so it used 2L+ of oil in 10 min. The smoke was hard to tell whether is was white or blue, its -24 outside, so everything looks white. MY turbo seals could be pooched? The smoke hung in the air for a good 5 minutes all the way down my street.

As of right now im hoping that the oil return line is loose, and the oil is being leaked out, smoking like a dirty whore, and catching **** on fire. The turbo is too hot to get underneath it right now. Maybe the turbo seals are pooched? there is hardly any shaft play.

I bless my corolla with a turbo, and this is the **** I get in return? hehe.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    Holy ****, flames! FLAMES! I shut the car off, and pushed it into the garage..
    This made me laugh, envisioning burning down the garage (+house if attached).

This made me laugh, envisioning burning down the garage (+house if attached).
    Funny. I wasn't pushing the car on fire into the garage, as i shut the car off, the flames stopped. But, I was ready to make use of a snowbank if the flames didn't go out though.

My garage/interior smells like someone had a BBQ.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

sounds like a dead turbo to me. oil getting in the exhuast side ftl
    simply pointing out stupid

That's why I said to leave that catch can line off. It only takes a few minutes to ice up, especially when it's this cold. Quite possible you killed the turbo seals. Take it out for a drive once it has settled and see if the oil issue is still there. It never once came out the compressor side when it happened to me, so that makes me think you might have killed a seal. You have that spare I gave you though, right?
    Matt H.

Turbos shot.

Sounds like the oil seals went.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedragon View Post
    That's why I said to leave that catch can line off. It only takes a few minutes to ice up, especially when it's this cold. Quite possible you killed the turbo seals. Take it out for a drive once it has settled and see if the oil issue is still there. It never once came out the compressor side when it happened to me, so that makes me think you might have killed a seal. You have that spare I gave you though, right?
    Yep, unfortunatly the only way I end up learning is the hard way. Always.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

We don't soon forget the lessons we learn the hard way

We don't soon forget the lessons we learn the hard way
    I sure do. The catch remains in the garage till its warm outside, swapping turbos is time consuming.

I figured pulling the motor completely was going to make this job the easiest, so here goes the second time this week, and the fourth motor pull in a month. This build thread is starting to get repetitive.

As im unhooking the intercooler piping I found where half the two liters I burnt off found its way too. So I had to clean up a liter of oil off the gargage floor, and clean every pipe. Getting the downpipe off is a bitch, whoever decided to strengthen the welds on the manifold somehow got spot welds and splatter everywhere....Matt. Oh, its probably Glenn's fault isn't it? I had to take my little grinder and cut half the bolts off.

I took this opportunity to tack up all the holes in the downpipe that was leaking exhaust, and a few tacks on the manifold. Installed some new nuts and bolts, and reassembled everything. I took the wastegate apart again, and used loctite this time.

I was tempted to tack weld the engine bay while everything was out, but said **** it. Im sure ill have the motor out next week for some reason, and I just wanted to get the thing running again.

Ive been told I work fast for doing everything alone, this all took me two and a half days. Putting a hood on by yourself is not fun.

The car runs great again, all the work was worth it after I took an hour cruise throughout the city.

The new turbo, before I reinforced welds some more.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Haha, I'd tacked a couple of the bolts because they kept backing out from vibration after the engine mounts were welded solid.
    Matt H.

Hi.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.