Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: The KingSpence Corolla Build.

spiders to the carrier, weld them together. important!
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    spiders to the carrier, weld them together. important!
    I was talking to the dude who set up my gears, he told me I shouldn't be welding to cast, it will weaken the carrier.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Bahh
    Don't listen to people, have you seen how thick and huge the carrier is?
    I think the most important part to weld would be the side gears to the carrier, welding the spiders still allows a little movement, and that's how welded diffs fail.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    Bahh
    Don't listen to people, have you seen how thick and huge the carrier is?
    I think the most important part to weld would be the side gears to the carrier, welding the spiders still allows a little movement, and that's how welded diffs fail.

Yep.

Weld EVERYTHING together solid, and it won't break. It's good to heat the diff before welding, and try to weld like 1in at a time max. Change side, do 1 in again. Heat it back as soon as you finish welding to slow down the cooling. Cast has a really high carbon content, so any drastic change in temperature will cause it to quench, and it will become brittle.

I've never has a welded fail on me, and I welded a TON.

Quote Originally Posted by Answ3r View Post
    Yep.

Weld EVERYTHING together solid, and it won't break. It's good to heat the diff before welding, and try to weld like 1in at a time max. Change side, do 1 in again. Heat it back as soon as you finish welding to slow down the cooling. Cast has a really high carbon content, so any drastic change in temperature will cause it to quench, and it will become brittle.

I've never has a welded fail on me, and I welded a TON.
    Fine, I will do this. But if it fails, I put blame on the entire DK community.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I found some more parts laying around.

Two 12 inch electric fans and a 3 inch FlowMaster 40 series.:

Megan exhaust manifold and 3 inch turbo elbow:

Bings adjustable short shifter. It was one of their adjustable ones but the previous owner bent the arm dumping it from 3rd-2nd or something. He ended up welded to bolts together, I plan on chopping it in half and welding on a Toyota thread pitch for my Toyota shift knob. The adjustability is nice because I will be able to match height with the original shift boot. I intend on running a full interior.

Here is the muffler mocked up. I'm super happy with it. It should keep the car throaty and deep, but quiet enough to keep come cops off my back. I've got the same muffler on my Land Cruiser, but it's tough to compare a diesel to a gasoline engine. I'm thinking about painting it black too, we'll see.

Last edited by KingSpence; 02-18-2011 at 12:59 PM.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

welding the diff will be fine....

like everyone else said. weld 1 side at a time. top left carrier, rotate, bottom right, rotate, top right, rotate. heat it with an oxy torch...when youre done welding, heat it a tiny bit more with an oxy torch to even all the heat out....and slowly let it cool down.

also, please do NOT use that BLOWmaster muffler. chambered, unpacked mufflers FTL.

In Toyota, we rust.

Come on now, show of hands...how many people actually go through all the BS of pre-heating and re-heating when welding up a diff? Anyone? I didn't think so. Pour a bunch of hot wire into that bich and you'll be fine.
    (I agree with a little at a time on each side)

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    Come on now, show of hands...how many people actually go through all the BS of pre-heating and re-heating when welding up a diff? Anyone? I didn't think so. Pour a bunch of hot wire into that bich and you'll be fine.
    (I agree with a little at a time on each side)
    I do. And they don't fail. Whatever haha.

3in straight pipe ftw. sr20s aren't too loud anyways.
    Ah yes, the elusive Mr. Watson returns to the old school Toyota forum...with a Datsun.

being loud sucks, I want my car to be more quiet.
    Mathew Morrison | Project Thread |

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    I was talking to the dude who set up my gears, he told me I shouldn't be welding to cast, it will weaken the carrier.
    Did you get the diff/gears set up locally? If so, who did it?

Quote Originally Posted by rywats View Post
    3in straight pipe ftw. sr20s aren't too loud anyways.
    I don't mind the loud, but the cop cruising behind me will. When I was running the Corolla last, I was getting pulled over on average more than once every two weeks. Stupid **** too, mostly the muffler (which was legal), the tint, the front wheels looking broken/bent (camber), and once for no reason at all, the cop had seen me driving around town before, really liked the car, and wanted to see it up close and meet who drove it. What can you expect from a town full of cops and no crime.

Quote Originally Posted by J268 View Post
    Did you get the diff/gears set up locally? If so, who did it?
    Bear Trax Offroad. Bunch of really chill dudes, and being a small shop you know who is doing your work. I talked to the gear guy for about half an hour when I dropped it off going through everything and shooting ****, and another good half an hour when I picked it up. He let me know all the specs he set everything too, and everything he went through until he got a good setup (shim thicknesses etc.)

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I'll start off with a bit of a story. Last week while drifting after a snowfall, a friend tried to link a drift through a gate into a storage yard doing close to 50km/h. He squeezed through, kissing the fence with the truck and broke only the lens to the taillight, that's it that's all.

So the Corolla had to be towed from the spot on the driveway where it has sat for the past three months. Between all the snow, wind, and warm/cold snaps the car was frozen in ice from the front tires to the rear. As he was tugging on the Corolla, the truck fishtailed about two feet towards the Land Cruiser. That taillight was installed the day prior, and there was just enough room for a pinky.

It doesn't look like much ice, but the car is low.

I got the GTS rear diff out, the bushings are a pain in the ass! I had the rear end out when I sold my Kaaz a few years back, but I couldn't tell if it was going to be a bitch this time, and it was. I can't get the lower control arms off the rear end. Oh, and I welded the diff some more, spider gears to the carrier. I'm picking up a Prothane Bushing kit tomorrow. Do prothane bushings make a noticeable difference?

Fitment is going to be gnar in the rear. The 7.5 inch diff is an extra 3/8in wider on each side. I have maybe 3/8in of tire gap on the rear right now, so I might be taking some sand paper to the overfender again to get a 1/8 of extra clearance. I take fitment serious.
    Last edited by KingSpence; 02-22-2011 at 10:45 AM.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Prothane's alright, but I bent a front control arm, changed it out, and the prothane bushing in the bent arm (after 5 years of driving) had softened up considerably.

Close call on the new tail light...lol

looks good mang, i wish i had a beauty shop like that to work in! hell i'd be excited even for that paved driveway!

pirate is my go to for welded diffs. If your doing it wrong you will be lynched and burned within two posts.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...117&highlight=
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Wow That is the biggest home garage I ever seen. I would love that in my house. I hate it when you got no room to do or store anything. Cool build tho

That manifold for the stock turbo?
    Ah yes, the elusive Mr. Watson returns to the old school Toyota forum...with a Datsun.

I feel pretty spoiled to be able to use a garage like this. My dad is big into woodworking, so he has been slowly building up his shop for the past 15 years. Just the other year we had an addition added so the third bay is double deep. There can only be two cars in the garage, the other two bays are shop. Last year we pulled a furnace out of a house for the garage, you can have all the doors open in -20, and within ten minutes the garage is back up to temperature. This workshop is the single and only reason I'll be hesitant to move out.

Yes, the manifold is for the stock t25/t28.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Mid swap. I'm not liking the brown as much as I did before, but it's too late now. It's not really that bad, but it was the only decent color sitting in my paint cupboard.

Tell your guy to call his guy to call HellaFlush. I've got a bit of adjustment available from the panhard, I'll have to see what I can do. The rear is gonna be about an inch lower too.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.