Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAXGRIP Supra 7.5" O.E.M. LSD rebuild kits

MAXGRIP Supra 7.5" O.E.M. LSD rebuild kits

MAXGRIP Supra 7.5". A real performance reabuild kit for the O.E.M. Supra LSD. These parts have been designed to get the maximum grip possible with the o.e.m. LSD! The kit comes with new stationary plates and new clutch plates that were normally not installed from the factory. Adding these two clutch plates increases the overal friction surface area 4X or 200% more than the typical factory LSD. Also included are new reversible solid bronze thrust washers, spiral grooved for oil. You also get new heavy duty springs and complete shim kit (16 assorted thicknesses) for setting the clearances within the LSD to exact specs for best performance. Using this kit, your LSD will be more responsive, lock faster, with maximum grip! No more one tire fire!

This is a great alternative to the more expesive aftermarket LSD's! We also have a kit for the O.E.M. GTS LSD and plan on producing kits for Mazda and others soon.

Since this LSD is very similar to the AE86 you can use the install instructions for the MAXGRIP GTS kit: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=31135

$190.00 plus ship and CA sales tax if applicable. Thanks!
    Last edited by WeirPerformance; 03-16-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    Spence Weir
    Weir Performance Engineering LLC
    707-315-6638
    spence_weir@sbcglobal.net

!!!!! Will order two kits next week
    I am your 4ajesus

Gah, of course. Now that I've decided to ditch a solid axle.

I have a feeling I'll build another street Corolla in the future though, so I believe I'll just hold onto my Supra diff.
    Matt H.

Please excuse my ignorance, but this is for solid and independent rear ends? will it survive 1jz power for a deccent amount of time? If so i'm soold, you can't even get a rebuild kit from toyota for these anymore, and if you could it would be around $500.
    Last edited by clay72; 03-13-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but this is for solid and independent rear ends? will it survive 1jz power for a deccent amount of time? If so i'm soold, you can't even get a rebuild kit from toyota for these anymore, and if you could it would be around $500.

It is for either rear as long as it is the clutch type O.E.M. LSD. I would think it can handle the power of the 1jz just fine.
    Spence Weir
    707-315-6638

The celica guys say the limits of the 7.5" diff is roughlky 300lf ft IIRC. The rebuild shouldnt add or reduce the max power of the diff. The pinons are what fail,l adn the rebuild has nothing to do with em. I guess you could always cryo, shotpeen them while u have it apart
    I am your 4ajesus

Looking forwards to having one of our locals pick this kit up for me to install. The extra clutch member will definately improve lockup.
    - Brian

The pinons are what fail,
    Yeah i've heard that. I just have to make sure i don't put to much tire on it so that they spin before anything breaks.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    The rebuild shouldnt add or reduce the max power of the diff. The pinons are what fail, and the rebuild has nothing to do with em.
    I have to disagree with that, and here is the reason why.

The pinions do break, this is true, but it is caused for the most part because the LSD is 20+ years old and is worn out.

This first image shows the lower clutch member in the LSD casing. It fits very close to the slot in the casing. It is done this way by design.

This next image is of the upper member in the LSD casing. It fits with a gap, this is so the member can rotate slightly. This is done by design as well, it allows the members to push away from each other under load. This is what clamps the clutch plates.

The problem with a worn LSD is that the upper clutch member can make contact with the LSD casing. This is not good and is why some LSD's do the one tire fire.

So, why does this cause the clutch member or pinion shafts to break? Well, this is the simplest way for me to describe it.

We have all broken a branch or stick by placing something under each end of it then stomping on the stick in the middle with our foot. Snaps pretty easy. The stick represents the upper clutch member in a worn LSD. This is what is happening when the upper clutch member makes contact with the LSD casing. It places the pressure points on each end of the member and in the middle of the member.

The second sketch shows how the pressure points are applied in a rebuilt LSD. The stick representing the clutch member. The pressure is applied directly in the middle of the clutch member, the way it was designed by the brilliant toyota engineer. In this situation it is very hard to break.

I know some people will say this i pure bull, that I am only trying to sell my parts. In reality, this is why they break. Another reason these LSD's will break is due to the pinion gear making contact with the LSD casing. I have seen this many many times with the GTS LSD. Most people think it was the LSD breaking that made contact with the pinion gear but it is exactly the oppositte situation. The crush sleeve on the pinion gear fails, letting the pinion gear move in the housing and contacting the LSD casing.

The design of this LSD is very good in my opinion and when correctly assembled with the right clearances (so the upper member cannot make contact with the LSD casing) it works fine and can handle way more power than people believe. We have rebuilt many GTS LSD's which are the same in design as the Supra LSD's. We have never had a customer call to tell us their LSD broke after we rebuilt it.
    Spence Weir
    707-315-6638

LOl sweet mspaint spence.
    I am your 4ajesus

Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    LOl sweet mspaint spence.

Ha, That is free hand with a good ol' #2 pencil
    Spence Weir
    707-315-6638

Any kits for the trd 6.7" LSD?

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

learn something new every day! those sweeeet pictures definately make sense to me

I have only made one drift run with this kit instaled in my car but it defenitly locked super hard. Good kit forsure.

Corby Martin
    1986 Corolla GT-S 13b REW Silvia N2 Hot Mess -SUPER SOLD
    1986 4Runner SR5 Panda Tofu delivery special edition.-FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by coreworld View Post
    I have only made one drift run with this kit instaled in my car but it defenitly locked super hard. Good kit forsure.

Thank you, good luck this season!
    Spence Weir
    707-315-6638

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Looking forwards to having one of our locals pick this kit up for me to install. The extra clutch member will definately improve lockup.
    That will be me at some point, hopefully soon. Deja vu huh? Looks like someone was thinking the same thing you were and made the right center clutch plates.

Spence, nice to see you here. You'll probably sell more of the 6.7\Corolla GTS rebuild kits on this forum, but theres lots of Supra ones around too.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    That will be me at some point, hopefully soon. Deja vu huh? Looks like someone was thinking the same thing you were and made the right center clutch plates.

Spence, nice to see you here. You'll probably sell more of the 6.7\Corolla GTS rebuild kits on this forum, but theres lots of Supra ones around too.

Thanks, glad to be a member here!
    Spence Weir
    707-315-6638

mr e is offline Un-Official "Dori-Kaze TBG"
    Bump?

Anyone know if these are any good?

Is WeirPerformance on the boards anymore?

MrE
    Penelope ~ AE86 4AGE;Maxine ~ A32 VQ30DE; Roxanne JCE10

.{yesguy! Performance}.

He may see this but its been awhile. He'll answer PMs though. He was on the celicasupra forum pretty recently. I don't know anyone who's bought this yet but its still on my list (but far away sadly).

mr e is offline Un-Official "Dori-Kaze TBG"
    yeah I pm;d him same day. I'll hit up that email of his and find out what the deal is.

Local friend of mine purchased this kit, but is yet to install it.

CelicaSupra shows fairly good reviews of the actual seller, and some nice responses to the product. I'm willing to be a guinea pig, but I need to get a hold of him first.
    Penelope ~ AE86 4AGE;Maxine ~ A32 VQ30DE; Roxanne JCE10

.{yesguy! Performance}.