Thread: e-test, failed HC ppm and CO %.. help?

e-test, failed HC ppm and CO %.. help?

Took my tercel in today for the test, before going we put new V power plugs (bpr5ey) and cleaned out the motor with that ac delco combustion chamber cleaner. Here are the results

HC PPM Limit: 85, result: 175, fail

co% limit: 0.48, result: 2.01, fail.

Can someone suggest something? We put a new o2 sensor so hopefully tomorrow it will pass.

**** the 3e-e motor.
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

Check the bolts between your downpipe and exhaust manifold to make sure they are nice and tight against each other, on my failed e-test that ended up being the case. The fresh atmosphere confused the oxygen sensor into thinking it was running lean, as such the motor ran super rich in order to compensate, much like yours appears to be.

You could also have a bad cat at that point, because when it's been running rich for a while, you nuke the cat. As such if it does happen to be the loose bolts smell your exhaust, if it burns your throat after it's completely warmed up, then you have a bad cat as well.

Hope this helps!
    I hate Corollas but I don't think I can do better with anything else

Thanks! We will check that, could it possibly be the oil being burnt? This thing has really really bad rings in it, if it idles for too long it burns quite a bit.
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

Agreed. The HC is a no brainer and with CO being high as well its simply running rich.

Same advise, make sure there is no false air in the exhaust stream but also the intake snorkel. Make sure the clamps are tight on the intake side. How old are the plugs and wires?

Mileage? If its high and has been running rich then the cat may be inefficient. If its OBD2 then a quick check of the ho2s1 and ho2s2 pids will reveal that. If its pre-obd2 then use an infrared thermometer and check the imlet and outlet temps of the cat. If its all even then the cat is pooched.

Change your oil, go for a drive, and then drive right in to get it retested.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Yeah so this thing is OBD0 and uses a map sensor, everything is tight on the intake side of things, but wouldnt make much difference anyhow.

the plugs are brand new, the wires are ancient. it has 1 o2 sensor pre cat, and we'll have to use the temp gun tomorrow to check. I suspect the motor has more than 200k on it, the car alone has 567xxx km.. My dad says the cats rarely need replacing, but with the abuse from burning so much oil and possibly running rich might have killed it. We'll check cat in and outlet temps before going tomorrow..
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

Make sure when they are testing it that its up to operating temperature.

You want that catalyst to be HOT, really really hot. Drive around the block in second gear at like 4000rpm right up until you pull it in for the test. Hopefully the cat stays lit.

Usually when the tercels failed with a bad cat they'd fail on NOx and CO. Which test did you fail? Idle or ASM2525?

You could also have a bad ECT causing it to run rich.

Wet down the plug wires and see if there is any arcing. HC's could be from a misfire, bad rings, or both.

Ok so we got her to pass!

85 HC PPM, that is what we got, and that was the limit.
    CO % went from 2, to .23, limit was .48.
    NOx doubled roughly, from 267, to 58x? (limit is 1000?)

Anyways, we put methyl hydrate in the tank, messed around with the PCV and fresh air draw on the valve cover (didn't have pcv plugged into manifold) and unplugged the vac line from the fuel regulator, my dad believes it is messed up, making the car lean misfire randomly. The cat is (still, wow) in tip top shape, and at 100*F difference from one end to another.

Wooo!
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

Good job getting it to pass! Knowing Toyotas though, you will likely have to deal with it again in 2 years time. (unless you sell it, fill it with 20w-50 to stop the oil burn and say it "comes with legit e-test" )
    I hate Corollas but I don't think I can do better with anything else

Bahh! Who cares she never leaves me stranded so I'll keep driving her, besides, i always run 15w-40

Oh and we also had an exhaust leak pre cat, so we bought some of that melting epoxy permatex exhaust tape and sealed it up like a branda new!

But yes, spare block is being torn down come next week, new rings and seals, head is being cleaned up, I just pulled apart a saab 900se turbo and am bolting on the GT17 garrett eventually. Car will run like a dream!
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

haha... I should get your dad to get mine to pass, better yet I should get your uncle to fix my car.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

5efe swap.
    SpeedHero

penis.

eww... i vote bigport 4AGE, haven't you guys learned from nick's Tercel by now? I know he has a smallport, that's why I said bigport.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

I kept saying at the shop, "needs more turbo motor, 4efte, or even a 5efe" my uncle's "partner" (ulysses, the guy that drove the rally starlet and ****e) was busting my balls saying how the paseo is newer, pffft please it's a rotbox, southern car ftw.

Ren definitely bring the car by the shop, i'm sure my dad would love to make it pass, he knows them damn well, so yeah, hehe.
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up