Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 1984 BJ60 Land Cruiser, "The Nipperwagon". SOA, 35''s, Locked.

My 1984 BJ60 Land Cruiser, "The Nipperwagon". SOA, 35''s, Locked.

It's 3:45am on a Friday and I'm more awake than a bat so I feel like bragging about my Land Cruiser. It's not a car, but it sure as hell is an old school Toyota.

I'll start off with my history/credentials with Land Cruisers. My dad is the original owner of a 1985 Land Cruiser BJ60. For those of you don't know, in Canada the 60 series Land Cruiser was this station wagon body style from 1981-1989, there was the BJ60, FJ60, HJ60, and FJ62. The BJ60 had the 3B 4-cyl diesel engine, the FJ60/62 had the 2F and 3F 6-cyl gasoline engines, and the HJ60 had the 6-cyl diesel engine. I don't know what it is about these trucks, but I live for them, and in summer 2009 I finally purchased my first Cruiser; a 1987 HJ60. It had a 2 inch lift, 33x12.5 tires, and a freshly rebuilt engine!

My Dad's. The truck looks like it rolled out of the showroom yesterday:

My old HJ60. I bought it in June 2009 and sold it in November 2009 once I started school:

Notice the tow strap from the Toyota to the Ford. I had to tow buddy's dead F350 10kms out of the push.

-----------------------
    -----------------------
    -------------

After following the new owner driving my HJ60 out of the city, I knew I had to find another Land Cruiser. I browsed ads several times daily from the day I sold the truck in November until one mid March 2010 evening, I refreshed the Kijiji Calgary page and BOOM, there is my new truck! I ended up calling the guy within 20 minutes of the ad being posted, and after a long conversation on the phone I was heading down the the next weekend with a flatdeck. The truck is a 1984 BJ60, in probably the roughest condition you could imagine. I ended up picking up the truck knowing it was going to need a significant amount of work, but it was SOA (Spring Over Axle conversion) and the engine and transmission were in exceptional condition. The truck was built about 12 years ago at North Shore Offroad in Vancouver. The truck had sat for over a year, the batteries were dead and the keys were lost; I showed up hoping my either my Dad's or my old Land Cruiser key would work, and once batteries were hooked up my old key started the truck first try, with nothing but a mere quick puff of blue. You don't even know what I payed for the truck, it was too much, but after searching for so long and having a buyer for my Cummins available I gave in.

The truck:
    -1984 BJ60 5 speed.
    -Sprung over, ford shock towers, custom rear shock mounts, re-enforced frame is several locations. Rancho shocks.
    -ARB front bumper
    -Custom rear bumper with spare tire on swingate.
    -ARB air lockers front and rear.
    -Warn 8274-50
    -Stainless brake lines
    -On-board heavy duty ARB compressor.
    + much more

As for the work needed on the truck, well I'll just start making a list:

-Both front and rear pinions had significant play.
    -Tires were old, sidewalls were cracked.
    -Rusty, holes in the roof, quarterpanels, etc. I did not realize the extent of the rust until I got the truck home. The frame is solid though.
    -Starter was shot, cranking very slow.
    -Water pump had significant bearing play, huge play, but no leaking.
    -Rad hoses were shot.
    -Interior was extremely dirty. The seats are still full of dust and have been vacuumed several times.
    -Bad alignment. Blown shocks. Bent tie rod, shot tie rod ends.
    -Exhaust was rusted out, leaking everywhere. Ended up falling of from the manifold while driving at one point.
    -Both batteries need replacing
    -I could go on and on, these are just the major issues.

This is the night I brought it home. I ended up going from an HJ60 to a 2002 6 speed Cummins, to this big piece of junk. I miss my Cummins a lot, but I've been a Land Cruiser guy since I was about 4 years old.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

After dropping nearly $2500 on the rear end getting rebuilt I focused on the rust. (I needed new spider gears for the ARB locker, new 4.88 R&P, and all gaskets if you are wondering why it was so expensive.) I had no idea how bad the rust actually was until I started cleaning the truck out that night, literally shoveling mud that had sat wet under the rear seats for over a year! This is a BC truck, but looks like it's from Ontario. I did not take pictures at the start, but I should have; you could stick your head through the rear rearwells into the cab.

After I dealt with sealing the trucks floorboards and wheel wells completely, I bought some new parts.

- 7 inch round driving lamps in front of winch. 6 lights weren't enough!
    - 35x12.5r15 Cooper Discoverer STT tires. Awesome tires, they rock mud, dirt, skeg, snow, everything. I've got almost 40,000kms on them in the past year, and they still have ~70% left.
    - Used rear leafs to bring the height back up from the sagging rear springs that came with the truck.
    - Two new batteries. $527.
    - Cooper 35x12.50r15 STT's. $1400.
    - Rebuilt front birfield assemblies. Seals, bearings etc.
    - Relay rod rebuild.
    - Water Pump. $220
    - Starter $300.
    - Poly bushings. $50.
    - Fuel filter. $15.
    - Air Filter. $25.
    - All belts. $70
    - Upper and lower radiator hoses. $100.
    - 6000k HID's. $300.
    - U joints. $50.
    - Used carpet, door panels, re-upholstered interior.
    - Tons more, this is all I can think of.

Old crap:

New crap, with new speakers:

Cool!

Before I took my Cruiser to Golden, BC last summer I wanted to get some accurate gauges so I knew what was going on while I was going through mountain passes in the heat of the summer. This truck makes 82bhp from the factory, god only knows what it makes at the wheels, especially with all the extra weight and the 35'' tires. There were several hill between Alberta and Golden where I was in the slow lane with the 4-ways flashing, doing 60km/h high in third gear crawling with the semi trucks.

Water/Pyro:

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Let's backtrack a bit to May Long weekend. We went to Cadomin, AB and ended up in Brule Lake, AB by the end of the weekend. It was the first time I had been camping without a trailer and a toilet, and I had the time of my life!

Our first day of wheeling was crazy, it snowed all night and we woke up to about 3 inches of snow, and about 6-10 inches at different places up at the higher altitudes. On the way out I ended up hitting a couple bumps going slow, but at the perfect speed to get a horrible rhythm. I had the whole truck full of gear, and the truck suspension compressed and the truck caught close to a foot of air. When we got back to camp I was wondering why my truck was leaning, I broke the main leaf on the passenger rear leaf pack. Breaking a main leaf in the bush 450km/h from home is not cool.

We ended up heading to Hinton, AB the next day to find parts to fix my leaf issue. My truck stayed in Cadomin, and we made the 100km trek to Hinton in the other vehicles. We ended up finding some boat trailer wheels, the brackets had holes and by using some bolts I was able to afro-engineer a clamping device to keep the leafs from sliding out from each other to at least get me home.

On the way out of Hinton we decided to check out Brule Lake, the dirt road that leads to the trails is in horrible shape, yet people still tow $40,000 trailers down it all the time. As we were getting close buddy in his Jeep was going a little fast, hit a good bump and the center pin on the leaf pack gave way (it had been slowing wearing away for the past while but finally broke), and his axle slide almost 5 inches back on the leaf pack.

So we have a broken Land Cruiser in Cadomin 100kms away, and a broken Jeep in Brule. ****.

We took another vehicle back to Cadomin as they set up camp in Brule, we had to stay the night and wait till Sunday to find parts, and to top it off no body is open long weekends. We went to Cadomin, fixed the Cruiser and came back to Brule. The next day we got a bolt to use in the leaf pack and fixed his Jeep, wheeled the day in Brule and headed home the next. It was a ****show to remember, and was one hell of a time! My camera broke that weekend, so there are minimal pictures.

And that was May Long 2010. 2011 is going to gnar.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Awesome. Once I get the 80 set up right, I should invite myself out wheeling with you this summer.
    Dean L.
    2007 Lexus LX470
    2000 Lexus LS400
    1985 Toyota Celica Supra 1JZ - 1JZ, restored
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73

i love ur dads toyota!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some “hairdresser” comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

that is not a lot of horsepower at all. How do you make work with that?

Great story, and truck by the way. Don't know much about the landcruisers, sure do look like beasts though.

Keep on truckin

Diesel torque. Keeps on going.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

There's an 85 for sale locally that has piqued my interest but the timing is bad for me atm. Looks like you're having a blast! Love the dirt-job.

so much fun, my straight six diesel sounds amazing, your big exhaust needs a new drive by video to show it off. Your truck is by far my favorite build on dori now lol.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Quote Originally Posted by SliP View Post
    Awesome. Once I get the 80 set up right, I should invite myself out wheeling with you this summer.
    For sure! If you are ever in the Edmonton area and feel like heading out for a bit, fire me a PM and I'll take you to a couple really good local places fairly close to the city.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by RHDskyline View Post
    that is not a lot of horsepower at all. How do you make work with that?

Great story, and truck by the way. Don't know much about the landcruisers, sure do look like beasts though.

Keep on truckin
    It's been re-geared to 4.88's, which is about 3-5% over the stock gearing. Around the city it's "peppy" if I can even use that word, it's the highways where it runs out of steam. The truck is geared like a tractor, you're in third at 35km/h, so it's got low end torque. Also, being a diesel although it only makes about 82bhp, it would show close to 150-160 ft lbs/tq. It does a good job of keeping me out of speeding tickets that's for sure. It needs a turbo in a big way, but Corolla has priority right now. In Japan the 13-bt was available in some Land Cruisers and other Toyotas, it is essentially the same engine only having slightly lower compression and direct injection (I have indirect), so the 3B engines take to a turbo quite nicely.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Here are a few videos from the past summer I will share. I'll upload some photos as well.

Warning: There is some redneck language in these videos.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I can update this thread, I've been lazy. Today while driving, I hear a loud whirling sound from the rear end, got under to find it puking apple sauce thick metallic goo, and more pinion play than I could ever imagine. Something is seriously wrong, and this will be the third time this rear end has blown up in a year. It must be the workmanship at the shop, because it's pretty hard for a 82bhp truck to blow 9.5in rear ends every few months. It was already warrantied once, but is 5 months out of original 12 month warranty (it was rebuild under warranty in February), so we'll see how it goes. If warranty doesn't cover it, you won't be seeing my SR86 running this summer.

On a positive note, progress! Time to add another gauge to my collection. I figured it would be a wise investment before my 1500km trip to BC and back.

I wonder what this is for?

I completely forgot to take progress photos, my bad.

Mocked up on the truck:

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

rad dude! that rack make the cruiser look even tougher! whats your attachment setup?
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Here we go again. Just after my BC trip something in the driveline had started howling, it got worse over a few days so I crawled under the truck and found a thick goo seeping from the oil seal, when I grabbed the pinion not only did it have immense play in all directions, I could rotate it almost 1/4 turn with the tires on the ground. I figured the pinion bearings had worn completely, I decided to call Alberta Driveline and inquire on my issue. (The shop that has working on the rear end since day 1 of my ownership).

I called the shop first thing Monday morning and told them what had happened. I was told that the pinion bearings were sixteen months old, four months over the given warranty terms from March 2010. I decided to cut my losses and start tearing into. The oil was so thick it had the consistency of ketchup, I let it drain for almost half-an-hour and decided to pull the cover and start scooping out goo. I was scooping oil from the bottom of the differential when I felt an object, a bolt. At this point I started inspecting the differential, and it became known to me that 7 out of 9 bolts holding the cylinder cap on the locker had backed out, been chewed up by the ring and pinion and mixed with the oil damaging anything that needed lubrication in the axle. I called it a night and would call the shop in the morning.

That next day I talked with the owner of Alberta Driveline about the issue (who has been there as long as I have ever been to Alberta Driveline). He gave me permission to finish removing the third member and bring it to the shop so we could deal with it. The diagnosis of the third member showed that the bolts had indeed backed off and caused the issue, they had not been installed correctly in January when the spider gears were replaced. They ordered the parts and called me three days later letting me know that the differential was ready to be picked up. Upon pickup we went over the differential, the pinion bearings were replaced (they fell apart upon disassembly), as well as the pinion seal and crush sleeve. I was told the carrier bearings were fine. Backlash was set to 10thou, and the locker was air tested and locked with no leaks when they applied their shop compressor to it. I asked about what looked to be a poor drive side pattern on the ring; they assured me that under load it would be fine. I was told that they would cover all the labour, and I will cover the parts; that seemed fair to me, this was four months out of the warranty period, they could have denied warranty. Up to this point I am very impressed with the customer service; they admitted their faults and repaired them.

I took the third member to another driveline shop that carries ARB and have a proper tool with a regulator to test for air leaks in the locker. Upon inspection he noticed that out of the three air seal housing screws, two were tight while one was only half threaded in. I was upset, if that had not been noticed, I’m sure it would have fallen out within a few hundred kilometres. Backlash was checked as well, 16thou. When we applied air to the locker not only did it not lock, but you could feel the air from the seals on your hand and see the oil bubbling. Back to Alberta Driveline I go.

I talked to the owner once again, and told him everything that I had just discovered. When he saw that the bolt was not tightened he looked speechless. He took the differential and told me they would check it over. About two hours later I got the call it was ready to go. We went over the differential again, he showed me the adjusted backlash, the air seal bolts were tightened, and new o-rings were installed. Now I’m seriously double guessing the workmanship, are the carrier bearings good? Is the drive pattern going to be fine? Either way I was on my way home, with a new updated receipt with “no warranty” at the bottom.

I decided to check the carrier cap bolts that they replaced, because at this point my trust level with their work is pretty low. Some of the bolts were nowhere near tight, and there looked to be a slight sign of red loctite on only one bolt, but the others showed no solid evidence. It looked as if they went to the used bolt bin, found the same thread pitch bolts, and grinded them to make them fit. They were covered in greasy gunk, so even if red loctite was applied, it was not in the environment to cure. This was the worst bolt of all, it had been grinded down so the head had a small enough diameter to fit in the locker; how the hell do you properly torque a bolt when there is no head, let alone no threads. I pulled this bolt out using an 8mm 1/4 socket with my fingers.

After I cleaned all the bolts, threads and applied loctite I started re-assembling. I replaced the axle bearings, seals, and ARB air line fittings. I took the truck for a test drive, the rear howls like a mother******er! It's obnoxious, anything over 50km/h under load puts a high pitch howl throughout the interior of the truck. To add to the issues the locker made some crazy snapping noises when taking the odd turn for the first couple hundred kilometers, and the locker is not locking properly. So where am I at now you ask? I'm ordering a new locker, a new ring and pinion, new bearings, a solid spacer, and replacing everything. I'll be using a shop I trust because this is the last time I ever want to deal with the rear end on this truck, $5000 on a rear end in two years is stupid. I don't want to take this picture again in the future.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Dude....that ****ing blows. By the looks of it you're taking care of some of the body work in some of the other pics? You gonna get some VX flares? You want some? I see them on Yahoo from time to time..

1995 Toyota LandCruiser - Diesel/24V/5spd/Locked
    1999 Toyota Mark II - 5spd

Report them to the BBB. That bolt is completely unacceptable, and so is the whole situation.

Quote Originally Posted by imbroglio View Post
    Report them to the BBB. That bolt is completely unacceptable, and so is the whole situation.
    I've got a review of my personal experience from day 1 to current, I'm going to post it on every forum that I belong to that involves vehicles. Word of mouth will move, I'll let the public make their decision of going to the shop or not based on my experience. I'm not going to report them to the BBB. It's just too bad that there are shops like these that have no initiative to produce a good quality product.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    I've got a review of my personal experience from day 1 to current, I'm going to post it on every forum that I belong to that involves vehicles. Word of mouth will move, I'll let the public make their decision of going to the shop or not based on my experience. I'm not going to report them to the BBB. It's just too bad that there are shops like these that have no initiative to produce a good quality product.
    There are more of them than you think. I have to deal with other shops ****ups nearly daily.

brutal. i'd be pissed!
    Dean L.
    2007 Lexus LX470
    2000 Lexus LS400
    1985 Toyota Celica Supra 1JZ - 1JZ, restored
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73