Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 powered MR2 build

is it done yet, I'm impatient

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

I did some work. Mostly just getting at the engine and removing the unnecessary components. It's such a SMALL v8, It should fit in there so well

Neat project,going to do the timing chain while its out?.I heard the parts alone are about $2500!.

Mine is timing belt I believe, not an FSI motor.

Engine is out!!! Going to use the subframe and frame rails to mount this in my mr2. Should be fun.

Subframe with engine mount plates and sway bar:

This thing is like 300lbs lol, piece of crap;

this is cool. Good luck
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Awesome. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Just in case you think I slowed down... I cleaned up the frame rails and removed them from the front of the car, along with a portion of the transmission tunnel. Gearbox has been ordered and will be in tomorrow apparently, then I can start measuring things for final plans. These are my rough sketches along with approximate measurements for the plan.

I picked up the plasma cutter this morning. There is a big surprise though. I made an executive decision a few days back to change the design of the swap. Instead of cutting the firewall, I will be lengthening the wheelbase and moving the suspension components backwards.

The reasoning is this: Either way I have to cut vital frame areas of the vehicle to put the v8 in, and if I cut the firewall it means cutting into the protective cocoon that is designed to be the passenger cabin. Lengthening the wheelbase I only have to deal with essentially straight frame rails and my safety remains in tact. Even if the frame rails broke because of lengthening the wheelbase at least I wouldn't have to worry so much about having a v8 sitting inside the back of my face. Nor do I have to worry about excessive heat or noise from a home made firewall. I realize this means I will have to drop the motor to do any timing work but really, you think I care? That's what part of the fun is when owning a mid rear vehicle.

If you have positive comments please let me know because half way through the day I thought I had turned my $10K car into a $100 pile of scrap metal. But then the results of my prior forethought showed me exactly what I had in mind when I began this journey, except a few inches further back (8"-10" to be exact, there is still forward or backward adjustment as of tonight, will be decided upon tomorrow morning when I start worrying about suspension placement). The A6 front frame can bolt to the firewall and have enough space between the engine and the firewall for rad lines and a gas filler neck. This gives me mounting points for the engine, solid frame rails from the firewall back (where the meeting place will be reinforced as well as the moved strut towers), solves an issue I had with sway bar hitting the transmission and allows me to drop the engine tranny combo on the a6 factory subframe from underneath the car. Overall I think it's a slick way to install (and my engine bay looks badass WITHOUT a motor lol ). As it sits tonight the front frame rails are bolted to the firewall in the right spots, the back is just hanging until I can get the suspension in tomorrow.

Last edited by widebodystarlet; 08-19-2012 at 10:25 AM.

And this is where I finished tonight, the engine and transmission can actually bolt to this. Once I get my suspension set up I will add the right bracing to support the stretched wheelbase. I will update again as soon as I get some things sorted.

When I think of lengthening a mid engine car I think of the Lotus Exige turned into the Hennessy Venom GT.
    I think only radness will come from this build.

Leboe
    Last edited by leboe; 08-19-2012 at 03:12 PM.

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

That's so much more work, but you got some mad body work skill, so it should be a breeze for you

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Lengthen that wheelbase to stop the car from doing wheelies! Kindof like a streetbike. I just hope you will tie it all together with a roll cage of some sort! For strength and safety.
    "mmmango!"

Looks awesome! I'm very excited to see how this turns out!

Another 14 hour day yesterday. Had to give the plasma cutter back today so I needed to get everything done that I possibly could. 28 hours in 2 days is a good head start on this project haha, and I'm quite pleased with what I've accomplished so far. There were/are a few snags and nothing is connected or finalized or even close (everything is in position and just braced for a few more fitments and measurements). I initially started with the audi frame on the ground and tried making the strut mounts fit over top, but the whole thing was too unstable. Instead I flipped the struts upside down and built the whole thing from the bottom. This allowed me to work with the cross members as well as the two frames to see what was going to be needed. I still haven't decided on how to tie everything in but I have a few good ideas in my head. I'm always open to suggestions as always, I will work with the best knowledge I have available to me

The biggest problem I have right now is that the rear tie rod mount is not even close to being useable, and the tension rod mount is now way too far from the control arms. I'm hoping to figuring these out tomorrow. Things seem to other wise be shaping up nicely. Tomorrow I'm also hoping to figure out what metal bracing and tie in plates I will need to make this all happen. I'm pretty excited for the side profile as the length of the wheelbase is looking to be exactly where I would like it.

Also on a side note: Today I will finally get some sleep. It's been kind of crazy being in the garage for 14 hours straight, consuming massive amounts of monster energy drinks and pizza, coughing black wads of stuff from the smoke buildup due to the plasma cutter, dealing with the literally crippling reemergence of my carpal tunnel syndrome, and I'm sure there are other less interesting whiny things I could write of (plasma burns...). Just a little insight into the pains of a project like this :P

****in bloodlust baby!
    "mmmango!"

Just hide some triangulation tubing in there and everything will hold.
    "mmmango!"

I'm really keen to see what this is going to do to the proportions of the mr2. It's such a particular shape and balance between front and rear. 8-10 inches is A LOT! Very,very cool build though.
    1989 Toyota MR2 SC
    "As for the aluminum alloy wheel, which is designed as concave face, with the finishes as like chrome plated or sputtering finish, it is feared that the solar ray would converge by wheel concaved design,it would make fire in the worst case" -Enkei Wheels user manual.

So the last few days I haven't put in more than 8 hours a day, but I've been doing a lot of cleanup work on the car removing the unnecessary pieces. I've designed my primary structural components and have all the metal here, spent most of the day on the strut tower running pieces. The plates that are welded on and bolted through at the firewall are 10g steel and the strut tower running pieces are 14g steel sheets. 2x2" 100 wall steel tubes are being used as my primary triangulation pieces. Since I have all day tomorrow (finally) to work on the car I plan on putting in some serious hours. I hope to have the frame rails attached to the car by the end of the day. Haven't decided what to do with the inside supports but I know it will involve that piece of 10g steel sitting behind the seat. We shall see...

I'm confused here. Will you be moving the rest of the bodywork back? Or will this have a short Lambo-esque bumper?