Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 powered MR2 build

No modifications are going to be done to this motor, I'm going to run it stock for a little while and just get used to it. More power will come in the future via larger displacement replacement motor with upgraded stronger transmission But alas that plan is still far off (although I'm already parts shopping lol)

I'm pretty impressed with a stock 2.8 V6, the V8 will kill!
    "mmmango!"

? I think you're thinking of a fiero bro. This is an MR2!

Das Audi! I've got a '98 Audi A4 Quattro with the 30V V6 2.8, and the project here is the V8 version.
    "mmmango!"

yes the 2.8 v6 fwd motor is what my transmission came on (so you know you can bolt a v8 into your car

This build has me on the edge of my seat, I can't believe how fast it's come along
    I hate Corollas but I don't think I can do better with anything else

Still making frame pieces, should be two more to go then everything else is cosmetic. Hopefully I can test fit the motor this weekend

Sides:

Today's work:

that looks like snake skin...

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

It's the pattern left behind by the black sound deadening in the audi lol

Spent a few days in the garage this weekend just finishing up a few little things with the frame. Today I had to baby sit at the same time so work was slow, also started classes again last week and I need to spend the next week/weekend working on the bmw so I probably won't get anything done for a week or so on this. Most of the engine bay is done as far as welding and cutting goes, there are a few seams/joints that need to be welded but nothing major. Next up is the crossmember plus engine test fit (how did I know I wouldnt get that far this weekend? lol), then the wheel wells still need to be put in. After that I will clean up some of the welds, do a bit of bodywork in the engine bay to get it looking really nice and then I'll seam seal and paint the engine bay. I sprayed some paint on the bare metal today to keep the surface rust at bay and the white makes it easy to see what needs to be grinded, filled, etc. Overall I'm really happy with the current progress.

Blacked out frame where air intake will be:

Multiple angles of engine bay:

The crossmember...

this is GOOD, way to take on a challenge. keep at it bud, looks great
    85Sr5 3RZ+TH400+8.8 TO B CONTINUED

Slow progress due to school. I'll keep this brief and add a photo or two.

I found a nice set of rims for the car, I'll need to get two more tires and also paint the rims gloss black. I also took the torque converter off the engine in preparation for flywheel/clutch/bearings test fit.

I've been thinking a lot about the quarter panels and what I will be doing there to bring it back to life, nothing inspiring yet but I have a few ideas on how to make it pretty. I'm as well considering changing the venting in the front of the car so the air comes in through the bumper and rad and out through the frunk hood. This will allow me to upgrade to a larger rad, better fans, eliminate some piping, and hopefully streamline the cooling system to accommodate the v8. Have already researched and chosen larger front/rear calipers, rotors. Final decision has been a headlight conversion, most likely custom; and I have a few never-done-before ideas in mind

I know some will complain about the decision to stray from the oem mr2 design but my reasoning is that with the wheelbase stretch the car might look like a "funny mr2" and I can't have that. If i want it to look like an mr2 I'll buy another mr2. So instead I'd rather have people see the car and go "whoa, what is that? it looks cool". Hence a lot of things will be changed, but hopefully the end result is as awe-inspiring as I can imagine

Bought these used. The previous owner liked my build so much he threw me a wicked deal on them. 17x8.5 +41 and 17x10 +41. The offset is kinda high but the widths kinda make up for that fact. No stretch here either. They came with a good set of 235/40r17 Nexxens that I'll be putting on the front. I'm not sure what size to go with on the rear, I'm thinking 275/40r17 or 255/40r17 (I'm using these to aid my decision http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html , audi transmission is calculated for 205/60r15) Anyways here are the rims:

Sick build, subbed

Didn't feel like doing any school work today because it's over ten degrees outside, so I put my engine in instead. Literally took like 15min, slid in place like a baby. This is the first test fit of the engine, the frame is done (save for the tension rod brackets). Looks like my measurements and calculations all came out well as there is still plenty of room for the fuel filler neck in front of the block. Next I'll test fit the transmission and get to modifying my crossmember.

Clearances:
    The engine still has to tilt backwards a little bit, but as it sits I should have about 2" from the top of the covers to the slanted firewall:

Enough room for the filler neck once I tilt the block back and install the transmission. I'll need some serious dampeners to keep the engine from squishing the pipe though as I believe I only left 1" clearance between the block and neck:

Just need space for hoses over here probably, nothing really on this side though

Finally, the oil pan ground clearance with reference to the original frame. Hard to tell in this picture but I have lots of room.

thattaboy
    "mmmango!"

I'm going to be honest... The concept is awesome, I love 90% of this build, but your welds make me cringe/scare me.
    1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 20 valve megasquirt bucket SOLD
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

If you're looking at the welds against the fire wall, yes they are ugly lol. Every time you hit that fire wall with a spark the rubber sealant leaks through and lights on fire. Those plates are also tied in nicely at the frame rails below and frame beside and will be tied in to a metal plate on the other side of the firewall. I have no issues with penetration, it's flux-core so can spatter a bit but the welds are clean on all other parts of the car.

Replace your timing belt before you put that in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Replace your timing belt before you put that in.
    haha agreed. Mine skipped and there went 30 valves, spent a lot of money getting everything back up to speed.
    "mmmango!"