Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 powered MR2 build

Will definitely be doing that. I seem to have a difficult time sourcing more info on this, apparently some 4.2l engines are interference and some are not...

I would just assume interference. The one nice thing when mine went was that it forced me to replace all the rubber seals, most of which were leaking a little. Particularly the half-moon silicone seal by the cam chain tensioner and the cam caps, (the 2.8 is 2 banks, heads are just switched 180 on each side, same for 4.2?).
    Also, the timing belt tensioner was seized (prolly why it skipped), so bought the full kit from ECS Tuning and went at it. New waterpump, idler pulleys etc.
    "mmmango!"

Almost positive that it is interference- Im a tech for audi. definately do the timing belt damper and water pump aswell and yeah the chain tensioner seals and cam plugs and cam seals always leak.

Good to know, Aaron would you know where I can get an FSM for the a6 4.2L 2001?

I think this is pretty badass, I like the way the adaptation is being done with sheet metal. Is it getting a cage? I imagine it's going to be a bit tough to get the cosmetics right around the stretched wheelbase, but nothing some wild box flares couldnt fix haha.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    Will definitely be doing that. I seem to have a difficult time sourcing more info on this, apparently some 4.2l engines are interference and some are not...
    This should tell you...just plug in year and model number of car the engine came out of:

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/in...cation_id=3598
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

All our workshop manuals are electronic, if you have questions i can try to answer them.

Quick update: I've been doing my research to ensure the last things I need to do are all lined up. I just put together a "short list" the other day where I listed what parts need to go in and how I'm going to do it, so I figured I'd post it.

*Install transmission and spacer
    -cut away crossmember for transmission space
    *Install suspension
    -design and build tension rod mounting brackets
    *Install a8 hubs
    -measure mr2 spindle for machining
    *Install audi axles
    -measure required axle length (compatible audi axles come in 8 compressed lengths that I found: 20 23/32, 23 5/16, 24 1/4, 24 9/32, 20 7/8, 19 3/4, 23 11/16, 24 5/8. inches)
    -spacers where required
    *Install fuel lines
    -Map a route to the oem tank based on the engine fuel line locations
    -Supra TT fuel pump or equivalent required.
    *Install coolant lines
    -Map a route to the oem underbody pipes based on engine coolant locations
    -Reuse misc factory piping where available (cut/flare, etc)
    *Install front audi radiator
    -Move front rad location back and tilt forward
    -Cut and weld drop vent in front hood
    -wire and mount electric fans
    *Install ECU
    -Recode immobilizer EPROM
    -Flash ecu for 5 speed
    -Lengthen wires as necessary
    *Install audi gauge cluster
    -Create mounts
    -Run wiring to cluster
    *Install DBW pedal
    -Create mounts
    -Run wiring to pedal
    *Install shift linkage
    -mk3 shift cables
    -design and build linkage box for transmission
    *Install exhaust
    -design and build w/ high flow spun cats and flex pipes
    -Muffler not chosen
    -install secondary O2 sensors
    -hollow out front catalytic converters?
    *Install misc engine components
    -Coolant overflow
    -heat shields
    -audi belt tensioner
    -alternator belt
    -fuel filler neck
    -?
    *Install big brakes
    -front rotors/calipers
    -SS lines
    *Cosmetic modifications
    -Move taillights out ~3-4 inches
    -Glass hatch?
    -wheel spacers
    -quarter panels
    -widen rear bumper
    -widen front bumper
    -custom wide fenders/arches
    -custom headlights?
    -repaint entire car

Now you see why it's my "short list"

There are some steps I didn't throw up but this is mostly for my use as I might add to it when I think of things. Currently I'm looking for a job, so funding is low, but a lot of bits can be had used and I'm still trying to keep this thing as cheap as possible. I really wish I was working on this right now, alas I have a few exams left before it gets my undivided attention once more

Ok back to studying

One exam left, which mean's I've got plenty of time to procrastinate and work on my MR2!! Today I put the transmission on the engine, also marked the new x-member where I'm going to need to cut it to clear the transmission. Axle alignment looks pretty good but I won't know until I've got the suspension on. Which means I need to make the crossmembers work. Just waiting now to see if I can borrow a plasma cutter again Pictures!

So Euro! Get out the Torx bits and metric allen keys. Stoked to see an update, keep it up!
    "mmmango!"

Quote Originally Posted by joey jo jo View Post
    So Euro! Get out the Torx bits and metric allen keys. Stoked to see an update, keep it up!
    LOL! I definitely had to buy some new torx bits just to get this far

Had a few hours to kill this morning so I trimmed the new crossmember down to size. I test fit it as well. It looks like I can't make the mr2 crossmember and the audi one connect as one piece... too much work and no benefit I can think of. For now I just clearanced the audi piece so the control arm bolts can could go into the mr2 piece. Also jammed one of my new rear wheels in the back wheel well for fun. They will have much wider tires on them when they finally go on the car. Pictures again!

Some shots of the clearance between engine and firewall now that the engine is on the right angle:

This is where the fuel filler neck goes, lots of space:

Mr2 control arm bolts and audi crossmember interference:

Cutting the new crossmember for the transmission:

Wheels!

Quick update: Finished designing the tension rod brackets and the frame rails required to support them, but I ran out of time to weld it all together. I need to drop the engine and transmission to finish a few welds and while that's out then I'm going to clean up the rest of the engine bay/underbody with seam sealer, primer, and paint. Next parts required are Audi A8 hubs and audi axles, as well as spacers for the rims and rear tires. Once that's all done it should be a roller, and then it's on to the nit-picky custom shifter/ecu crap... Just gotta take it one tiny job at a time and soon it will be done PICTURE DUMP!

If you end up removing the heads let me know and I'll mail you the special tool. I ended up buying 2 by accident. ECS Tuning took a lot of my money!! I also have longer wheel bolts.
    "mmmango!"

this build is just too cool

for school

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

Checking the weight of the car:

I've been working away all week to finish the mounts for the tension rods. I had to take the suspension off, take the motor and transmission out, put the suspension back on, take some measurements, make metal pieces, tack them in place, take the suspension back off, and finish the welds and clean up the underbody. I also finished off the front crossmember. Now that I've given it all some light grinding and a quick spray to keep the surface rust off, I'm putting the motor back in to make some custom transmission mounts, find my axles, figure out the shift linkage, coolant/fuel/clutch/brake lines, and finally exhaust. After that's all done I'm going to take the engine and transmission back out to body work and spray the engine bay and underbody gloss black. With all the engine out/in work, I'm going to get really good at this

Finishing off the brackets:

Front crossmember cut and sealed up:

Lowered on factory front rims, to approximate ride height, testing wheels and getting a sense of the body modifications required. Still need spacers before it will roll on my new black rims:

Awesome. The working mans R8.

Is the positive camber in the back as extreme as it looks? Can you dial that our or need to do some mods to mounts?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

The positive rear camber is only because the wheel is just sitting in the wheel well. There is no suspension on at the moment as I'm disassmbling the rear spindles/hubs to modify for a6 hubs, allowing me to use audi axles that bolt in, no custom axle work

Ok so small update. I got a job working parts at the local Toyota dealership, my dream job haha. I've made significant progress but nothing really interesting to see in pictures, so I took boring pictures anyways. Hopefully now I can afford the rest of the bits and pieces to finish this off. On a positive note, the company that sold me the Audi originally has promised to provide me with an ecu and possibly a gauge cluster as well. Only a few parts short of the goal.

New hubs and old spindles:

Some tool did this taking the bearing out last time, hopefully it will be ok for me to press a new one in overtop:

Doesn't quite look like an Audi engine does it?

Mount in progress, passenger side:

Driver side:

How I want to attach them to the crossmember:

How the 300lbs AWD transmission was attached:

Next on the list: