Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Celica ST Build

$150 Celica: It lives!

So I am pretty new to this forum. I started a build log of my 1972 Celica you can follow this link to see the progress: http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...774#post481774

I some how missed this link: http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...ive-this-a-try. I was wondering why No one made any comments, but now it makes sense. I like this format. It is nice to read through a build and only see progress and build stuff.

any ways feel free to comment on my build here I look forward to hearing from you.

a couple of quick pictures:

This is the car when I first saw it:

My goal for the car will look something like this and its quality of build with the exception of maybe a modern engine swap and a really nice suspension:

My car currently looks like this:
    Last edited by white_cross; 08-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.

Keep Cracking away at this thing! What kind of bike is that?
    Adam
    Josh Danish is a Scammer

Keep going man!! It will be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by 77Celica View Post
    Keep Cracking away at this thing! What kind of bike is that?
    Adam
    The bike is a Hiawatha probably a late 1930's model year. Building vintage bikes is my other hobby. Follow this link to see the build up of it: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/ind...2-gauge.90623/

Quote Originally Posted by guilam View Post
    Keep going man!! It will be worth it
    Thanks I sure am excited to be building it! good times for sure.

The bike is a Hiawatha probably a late 1930's model year. Building vintage bikes is my other hobby. Follow this link to see the build up of it: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/ind...2-gauge.90623/
    Cool, I didn't realize that there was a forum for Vintage Bike guys. I also have a bunch of Vintage Bikes including a 1936 CCM Flyte.

Checkout AlfaParts.net for those rockers. It is nice that someone in Canada is making body repair parts for our cars now. I had to make all my repair parts myself many moons ago.
    Josh Danish is a Scammer

Quote Originally Posted by 77Celica View Post
    Cool, I didn't realize that there was a forum for Vintage Bike guys. I also have a bunch of Vintage Bikes including a 1936 CCM Flyte.

Checkout AlfaParts.net for those rockers. It is nice that someone in Canada is making body repair parts for our cars now. I had to make all my repair parts myself many moons ago.
    Ratrod bikes is a very cool bike forum. I have a couple of my other builds on there. Just do a search under my user name on there to check out the builds. I also have a face book group you may want to check out. It is for Manitoba bike collectors but it is all ways good to have connections in the bike hobby. It is called "Manitoba Vintage Bicycle". The CCM Flyte that you have is the one that all the CCM guys are trying to get right? Very cool! Do you have one of those bare aluminum Silver King Bikes? I would love to add one of those to my collection some day.

Thanks for the tip on the rockers. I wish the quarters that they had were for the RA21 model that would save me some work on my car.

This build is looking really sweet, can't wait to see the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by cityslicker View Post
    This build is looking really sweet, can't wait to see the progress!
    Thank you. I am enjoying it a lot.

So I am going to start updating my build on this page as well as in my build log (the link to that can be found on the first post I made above) So if you want to see only my posts follow the link and if you want to see my builds with comments follow along here)
    I spent some time washing the 1973 Celica yesterday. Interesting finds: There was a small wasp nest attached to the bottom of the hood. The rad cap was missing and so some squirrel made a storage unit in the radiator for his winter stash of nuts.

Also kind of cool to have an original Toyota key my 1972 is a recut.

Clean car with all its sweet patina

Pressure washed the trunk out:

engine compartment before and after pressure washing it:

Good windshield and really nice dash pad:

The inside is still a mess That will be this weeks project:

Data plate:

Pulled these parts out of the car:

(I will probably be selling every thing here except the fenders and am/fm Radio. I have 3 am/fm radios now good to have spares.)

Me with the cleaned car and my two 1st gen's, Thinking I will have to call my garage: Dads Toy Garage.

I'd be interested in a rear bumper. And front fender marker lights.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    I'd be interested in a rear bumper. And front fender marker lights.
    I have had a lot of interest on the rear bumper. But I am not sure if It will be going up for sale yet. I May need to use it after all. I have been considering building both celicas one for a full restoration and one as a track rat for HPDE events and autocross. I am leaning towards my track rat Celica having Nascar style steel rims and 240zg style flares and the body and paint on it will be primer/faded silver Then I don't have to worry about messing up a perfect paint job. Then for motor options either a beams or f20c. The interior would be very sparse, with a driver and passenger seat dash board and roll bar. Of course some cool suspension parts would be a must. Well that is me dreaming for now. No paint job means more money spent for going fast

I found a lot of grossness in the 1973 celica so today My dad came down to give me a hand cleaning out the car. I found so much mouse turds and acorn Nuts in the cabin of the car I did not want to touch the car. So Canadian tire and my pressure washer were my friend. The interior was rinsed clean with the garden hose (every thing from top to bottom) then I soaked it at least 3 times over in a mixture of bleach and water, pressure washed it out. After that it was sprayed again with mr clean and finally pressure washed one more time. I did not really care what got wet Just needed it safe to work in.

I pulled the 1973 Celica into the garage, checked the oil it was clean. Added some seafoam to the oil. Cleaned the carb. checked all the wires for damage and connection. put a bit of oil in through the spark plug holes the plugs looked good. I put a breaker bar on the crank pulley it moved very freely. The muffler was gone so I Schmaded (low german for Make it work with what you have) the factory one from my Subaru on with zip ties "because road kill" (I know I watch a lot of Roadkill) It just needs to keep the sound down to test the motor. Stole the battery out of my Mach 1. Hooked up the battery in the Celica. All the lights and wipers etc worked! The motor cranks over very nicely. Just no spark so I am close. Pretty good for a car that was supposed to have no motor or trans. I also looked in the oil fill hole and the rocker arms look like brand new.

So I tested the coil it is shorted out so I ordered a new one today it should be here on Monday. So hopefully it starts on monday.

Some pictures of my exhaust install for your entertainment:

The floor is pretty decent and should clean up nicely:

If you drive by at mid night you just might see this:

Well it runs to some extent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf5Pr5GlvtY I am very impressed with Toyota quality at this point. I read somewhere that at 300,000km that the 18R-C motor was just getting broken in

I spent a bunch of time getting this motor to this point where it will idle. It won't rev yet but I will keep plugging away at it. So far I have done this to the motor: New plugs, wires, coil, vacuum lines. I disassembled and cleaned the fuel pump out it was not pumping. The gas in the fuel pump was so rubbery and vanished that it would not pump now it works really well. I hooked a battery up and no spark, so I cleaned the points and gapped them traced power all the way to the distributer and the there was power all the way to the condenser. I pulled a condenser off the 1972 motor and put it on the 1973 and I had spark. This weekend I pulled the carburetors from both cars apart and took the best parts from both to make one better unit. I thoroughly cleaned the parts I intended on using by soaking them in lacquer thinner used aerosol carb cleaner to blow out all the tiny passages. Put it together and bolted it to the motor. It would run for a bit then stall right away. I tried opening the choke and it would run longer then shut off again. Then It ran for about 2 minutes and shut off and went back to starting and stalling right away. While the motor was running I adjusted the fuel and idle which helped. I tried to rev the motor and it would just not rev but sounded like it wanted to. I have a suspicion of the power valve not working properly. I pulled the power valve off of the other carb today and it looks nicer I will try that one some time this week. I also have a carb rebuild kit coming this week so hopefully I get better results, once the rebuild kit and power valve are switched out. It has been fun figuring out this puzzle. The last thing I did on the car today was flush the coolant system and radiator out with a garden hose there was a lot of sediment and rust particles floating around in there. I will replace the rad hoses and heater hoses before I put proper coolant in the motor. So all my hoses/vacuum lines are going to be new and not give me any worries. I love the simplicity of this old motor.

There is typically a check valve in the carb accelerator circuit, a small ball in the passage way. Check to make sure that it is free to move and not gunked up from old gas, which is preventing the acceleration in-richment. Dave W

are you talking about this one: http://www.retrojdm.com/ScanViewPage...20-%20Body.jpg figure 8-70 my carb does not have anything in that spot.

I have a carb on the car from my 1972 celica. It is the 2D8 34112 model with a non manual choke:

I had another thought on the car not running right maybe the mice/squirrels that were living in the car and stashing acorns in the radiator stashed some in the exhaust pipe. Which could cause the motor to stall I am guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by white_cross View Post
    I had another thought on the car not running right maybe the mice/squirrels that were living in the car and stashing acorns in the radiator stashed some in the exhaust pipe. Which could cause the motor to stall I am guessing.
    you would hear lots of sounds akin to an air compressor running a marathon. If the exhaust sounds loud and clear this is unlikely - a blocked exhaust system leaks anywhere it can, also the exhaust starts to glow if you can get it up to speed.

Yes, Check both of the passages that supplies fuel to the accelerator plunger and to the discharge nozzle. You should be able to take carb cleaner and spray thru both ports [verifing that they are clear] after you have removed the check valve ball. Dave W

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    you would hear lots of sounds akin to an air compressor running a marathon. If the exhaust sounds loud and clear this is unlikely - a blocked exhaust system leaks anywhere it can, also the exhaust starts to glow if you can get it up to speed.
    I used The oem muffler from my Subaru, It was sitting in the shed. So the exhaust is so quiet I can hardly hear it run. The noise you hear in the video sounds like a diesel running I think comes out of the exhaust manifold in the hole where it is supposed to connect a tube to the air cleaner housing. At the back of the car at the tail pipe end it is very quiet. It has not run long enough to glow red hot yet. There is a resonator or catalytic converter in the exhaust system sort of under the drivers foot or seat aria maybe it is clogged up enough to block exhaust flow? the exhaust pipe looks very old probably original. I am tempted to unbolt the exhaust pipe after the exhaust manifold and see if it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    Yes, Check both of the passages that supplies fuel to the accelerator plunger and to the discharge nozzle. You should be able to take carb cleaner and spray thru both ports [verifing that they are clear] after you have removed the check valve ball. Dave W
    I have a carb rebuild kit coming from NAPA at the end of this week so that might help too. Here are some pictures of my carb disassembled:
    the air horn:

This is the middle body section. The thing is this is the one off of my 1973. I have the one from the 1972 on the car because Napa could get a rebuild kit for the 1972 carb, but they had no carburetor number that matched the 1973 for a rebuild kit. So I am rebuilding the 1972 carb. This body section is very similar between 1972 and 1973 carbs: The 1973 seems to have a spacer on the bottom of the middle body where it bolts up to the throttle body. Also on the 1972 middle section to the left of the big hole where the plunger for the throttle pump goes in there are a few less things there is only a hole for ( http://www.retrojdm.com/ScanViewPage...20-%20Body.jpg ) the Pump Discharge Weight Outlet Valve and a slow Jet and a hole that is right under the slow jet. The small oval indent with the small hole in it beside the slow jet is not existing on my 1972 carb. I wonder if the small hole under the slow jet is still plugged up? I may try to clean that one a bit more, it is the only hole I could not get the carb cleaner to spray through and I thought at first it was just a dead end hole or something:

and this is the throttle body:

It is identical to the 1973 so I used it since the throttle blade screws broke on the 1972 throttle body when I was trying to disassemble it

I included the pictures in hopes you could point out which passages you are referring to ("passages that supplies fuel to the accelerator plunger and to the discharge nozzle") I am not a mechanic so my knowledge is limited at this point but growing due to me learning as much as I can. This is the first carburated car I have owned so it is a fun learning experience.

Thanks for your help so far.