Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Celica ST Build

wow mate. how are u making these panels. they look great. U certainly have plenty to do

Quote Originally Posted by Auspete View Post
    wow mate. how are u making these panels. they look great. U certainly have plenty to do
    Thanks, they are a lot of fun to make. Here is a quick overview of how I make my patches. I am making them out of 18 guage sheet steel that I picked up from the local welding shop. Then I keep all my old Mini wheat boxes etc. They are great for making patterns. I hold up the cardboard to where I want to make that patch. Then I draw out the patch make measurements etc, I trim the cardboard to fit. Once I am satisfied with the cardboard pattern I trace it onto the sheet steel. Then I cut it out with tin snips. I shape it using a combination of my vice for 90 Deg angles, a hammer and dolly set for some curves etc. and the english wheel is used to pre stretch the arias I am adding ribbing to which is done with the bead roller. Pre strecthing the metal helps prevent the oil can effect in the panel after you add the ribbing to it. A very quick overview to how I make the panels.

I am almost ready weld the driver foot well aria together. I have all the patches made up. Next is sand blasting the weld arias. applying weld through primer to those arias and welding it all together. Here is my current progress:

I finished up the patch making for this aria with the 90 deg piece that runs under the chassis brace:

and the bottom side:

Here is a sample of how I plan to weld the driver foot well aria back together:
    1) fire wall section first

2)door jamb bottom section

Need to fill this missing aria:

3)back side of jamb work:

4)floor pan:

5)inner rocker:

I got kind of excited when I saw all the pieces work together. They may look like the fit is off but it is actually quite a good fit I am just roughly holding all the pieces together.

I decided to modify my bead roller. It had a lot of flex to it, which made rolling the beads a challenge. So I welded some 2 inch square tubing to it. I also built a guide fence to aid in rolling arrow straight beads. I am also building a base for the bead roller and replacing the crank handle with a steering wheel from a Ken Worth semi truck which was sitting in the scrap yard.

Here is the bead roller with the guide fence and square tubing welded on it:

also here is the semi brake drum for building a base for the bead roller stand and the steering wheel which will replace the crank handle:

Give me forty acres and I'll roll this bead around!

Looking sharp, keep up the progress!

A bunch of little things happening in my garage. I took some time to do a brake job on my Mustang and take it to the first auto cross of the year. I also decided to Give my Wife's FJ a vintage FJ 40 grille treatment and paint it white. Originally it was silver:

I made a make shift sand blasting booth in the garage and blasted the arias where the patches would be welded in place clean:

I also sprayed a combination of weld through primer and epoxy primer over the blasted arias:

I also have been contemplating putting in a seat from one of these cars: s2000, honda civic, RSX type S. I like the look of the seats. The seats will probably be recovered to match the original Toyota Celica pattern. I picked up this well used seat from a guy I work with to test fit in my car. It came out of his Honda Civic:

new car seats are so big.

comfy but huge.

being 6'1-2 i have head room problems, the only seat I have succes with is the stock 76 seats. super un comfy but i have head room.

miata seats sat too high for me.

maybe i am just being a chicken about cutting more out of my car.

good work on the celica

Quote Originally Posted by 76RA24 View Post
    new car seats are so big.

comfy but huge.

being 6'1-2 i have head room problems, the only seat I have succes with is the stock 76 seats. super un comfy but i have head room.

miata seats sat too high for me.

maybe i am just being a chicken about cutting more out of my car.

good work on the celica
    They are kind of big but they are also sitting higher than they need to be right now with the civic seat rails. Thanks for the complements on my build.

I just finished the bead roller today. I am very happy with the end result:

And the bead roller fence:

Time to try it out!

I finished welding in the driver side front floor today. I am very happy with how it turned out:

Stellar work as usual!

Will you be priming or coating the steel on the inside of the rockers before you box it in?

TIme to do something about the passenger side. It goes so much smoother once you have done it once. Here is what I get to start with:

The front fire wall corner:

The lower dog leg to fire wall cut out and new piece fabricated:

Old floor pan cut out and new one test fitted:

new inner dog leg:

outer dog leg:

The passenger side rear floor pan foot section of floor was completely crumpled from either jumping the car in its past or falling off the jack stands. I hammered an dollied it back to shape:

before:

After:

And the final piece of this puzzle the 90 degree edge of the floor pan that goes under the floor pan and the rear seat brace:

So time for a big update. The car now runs. I did this list of stuff to the 18RC:
    -Spark plugs
    -plug wires
    -new coil
    - new vacuum lines
    -cleaned the distributor points and gapped them
    -fixed a bad ground in the distributor
    -bought a new carb rebuild kit
    -combined the best carb parts between my 1973 and 1972 celia
    -new fuel pump
    -flushed the radiator and engine cooling system with a garden hose till no rust came out.

The car would run and stall right away and never rev up at all. So I got tired of trying to get it running and started rust repair. I had suspected there might be some acorn nuts in the exhaust system. So yesterday I cut the exhaust right off at the trans mount/cross brace. A bunch of rust flakes and acorn shells dropped out of the tail pipe! I sprayed some brake cleaner in the carb and turned the key it fired right up and revved. So I got my Jerry can of gas and stuck the rubber fuel hose attached to the fuel pump and it started right up with the key and idled beautifully. I revved the motor and it revved strong. This motor seems pretty healthy and does not seem to smoke! I have a video but cant seem to get it to upload to youtube right now.
    I poured coolant in the rad and it started leaking on the bottom hose fitting. So I grabbed the other radiator from my "parts ware house" (my garden shed). It was full of acorn nuts so I shook them out and flushed it out installed it and filled it with coolant and it is leak free.
    I could not press the clutch pedal down so I hammered on the slave cylinder a couple times and the pedal pushed right down. The slave cylinder is working perfect now and the clutch fork is moving nicely. The thing hindering me now from driving is what I believe to be a clutch frozen onto the fly wheel. With the engine off I can select all the gears. With the engine on I can not shift into any gears when the clutch is pressed down. If I start it in gear the car will roll forward. If I start it in gear with the clutch engaged it will roll forward. I will work with that to see if I can fee it up and then drive it. The other thing that surprised me was the brakes were not frozen and worked!

Im so glad this car found you.

Stellar work W_C!
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Amazing build. Great metal work.

Quote Originally Posted by projectae86 View Post
    Im so glad this car found you.

Stellar work W_C!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harjeet View Post
    Amazing build. Great metal work.

Thanks guys.

Clutch is free! The car drives! I drove it 1 foot :cheers: I so wanted to drive it around the block but the car is quite loud and I don't want to bug the neighbors. So no trip around the block. I did reuse the old resignator (not sure on spelling) It quieted it down some what. But the beauty of the car running and driving I can drive the 4 blocks to my parents to use the welder instead of towing the car.
    So to get the clutch free I went about it this way: My wife sat in the car and put it in 4th gear and applied the clutch and brake and I grabbed my breaker bar and used it on the crank shaft pulley. I wiggled it back and forth and then there was a clunk noise and it was free!

That's fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by white_cross View Post
    resignator (not sure on spelling)
    resonator, in case you needed to know.

here are 2 videos.

The first start up after cutting off the exhaust:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVlKLc6LNs

Here is the first time I drove it once around the block:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yis7zWl1Cg

Note I did not let the car warm up and the carb is not adjusted. So it is stumbling when I leave the driveway and is burning excess fuel. But it felt so good to drive the car.

nice! coming along extremely well!

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130