Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flexy rocketship adventures: Black Betty

That and its what came with the sedan. Its a great rad, from a 5.0 mustang. And it did get pretty hot if I was hot-lapping in the summer at the track a bunch. Moving the rad like this, plus another 12" fan on the back, and some rivet on hood louvers should hopefully keep the temps down where I want them. Also I hate the look of no hood while on the track.

Had a little time to wrench today, but the weather was crap. Decided to do some interior stuff, so I got to pulling the old cracked dash from the liftback, and mocked up the minty dash from the sedan to take its place. I probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for the AE86 cluster that Clay had modified to fit the sedan dash. I also pulled the heater core and got it mostly ready to chop the trans tunnel a bit to fit the bellhousing.

Either way, it looks like it will all work out, though none of the mounting points are actually the same. It will take some drilling/possibly some custom mounts if I dont want it to rattle around too much.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for interior paint/dye? I want to make this dash black to match obviously. I've heard good stuff about the SEM products...

Flock it!!

Lee Valley sells a nice kit. It's cheap.

RETIRED

Can't wait to see herrrr all done!

ah fair enough, U gotta flock the dash. I'm considering doing mine

Not too much progress lately. Was working a ton the last while, and just recently had a little bit of time off, but I've hit a bit of a wall progress-wise. got the trans tunnel cut up for the 1UZ, but I need a welder to weld it back up after a day of test fitting the motor/trans, and then I need to get the motor in place, as its a huge pain in the ass moving the motor in and out of my basement. Likely nothing will happen until the new year on this front.

On another note though, I picked up a pair of spare volk mesh for a great deal, and have been refinishing them.

started as 14x6, but came with lips to make them 14x7. The bigger lips were a little rough, but a bit of hammering and filing helped.

I somewhat accidentally went a little overboard with the polishing, but they're still far from perfect. Still look much better than what I started with. Plus a fresh coat of paint on the faces, and they're good to go!

Those look dope!! Great work!
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

So I had a little time today, so i test fit the wheels on the car, just for some motivation.

Also I forgot to mention I picked up a set of BC Works knuckles and extended LCA's from Chewy and installed them. (new inner and outer tie rods to come, and hopefully a swaybar solution.)

Also heres a pic of the terrible looking hole i cut in the trans tunnel/firewall for trans clearance. This will have to be patched when I get a welder and can do some engine test fitting.

..That's not how you install tires.

Kidding. Looks rad, keep pushin!

be cautious bout thou LCA's welding sections in has created a weak spot on those. Not sure if uses have coronas over there but the RT142 model bolts straight up and is 10mm longer each side..

Hey Pete. We don't have the same road rules as you guys do down there (I lived in Brizzy for a while).

We actually like our LCA's to fold, just like they're originally designed to do. That way, when you drift into the curb, you don't have to replace the chassis, just the LCA's. Minus Jason, who managed to do both.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

We also got shafted by Toyota, we only had the corona until the early 80's. It was replaced with the fwd Camry I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

I realise the road rules would be different. good point about wanting the lca to fold. I guess its only a drift car rather then street car.
    Just checked the t142 was 85 to 87 in aus

its still good practice for a street car as well. its now stronger than before as well, as we dont grind down the welds for looks. bracing the bottoms just breaks everything else as well as tweek the LCA anyways.
    cant all machine our own arms, weld together and add heims

Finally some progress on the car this weekend.

Test fit the 1UZ in the liftback for the first time to get the trans tunnel clearances right

then back out again, time to weld up the trans tunnel

here's my terrible welding of the tunnel. I didnt have a welding helmet or mask, so i had to do the ole eyes shut and look away welds. looks like garbage, but its solid. (that and you will never see it with the motor in and carpet inside)

annnd back in, for the last time.

I also removed the crossmember spacers that clay used in the blue car, I needed more oilpan clearance to the ground. I did have to trim the hood supports though to get the hood fully closed. I also replaced the hockey puck motor mounts with some poly mounts. And not pictured is the added front support bracket for the clutch pedal that I welded in.

All in all, the rest of the work is pretty easy. Hopefully sometime in march I'll have it ready to go!

Here's encouragement for getting a front sway bar mounted this time.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    Here's encouragement for getting a front sway bar mounted this time.
    I still don't think its gonna work with a factory bar. I tried test fitting it a while ago, and I'm pretty sure It hits the front of the oil pan and the flange for it... I'll have another go at installing one soon, but i think im going to have to come up with some sort of custom solution. Trust me, I really want/need to get one in there...

Yeah stocker is a 100x no-go. Custom bar would be cool. I don't know what those components cost.

Your lack of hockey pucks makes me question your patriotism.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

something maybe this style? http://www.colemanracing.com/Sway-Ba...lid-P3539.aspx

or i may just make some measurements and go junkyard hunting...

Yeah, like that!

Anything that you can find made for circle track guys is usually reasonably priced. You can get a blade for one end to make it adjustable too.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car