Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 94 of 94

Thread: 2011 Lexus IS350 6MT Build

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Koriyama, Japan
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
    If you actually go in with a scanner, you'll find that the automatic transmission processor is still functional and there are codes for the missing components, but it doesn't affect the car. I wish there was a way to make that not be the case, but alas. It's as OE as I could get it to be.

    Jeff
    This sounds like a job for Sparkie, really.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,269
    Well, it definitely could be done, and in fact I had considered purchasing the hardware required to read and write the ECU, but the transmission side of things is uncharted territory (not much beyond the data maps and a few other things have really been defined), and while it would be cool to play with (and who knows, maybe it is something I'll look at doing in the future), it is my daily driver after all, so it's not the best guinea pig for experimentation.

    The car is fully functional now, with no dash lights. VDIM (VSC, TRAC, EBD, etc.) and ABS are functional and the car is a blast to drive. I'm a happy camper.

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
    Well, it definitely could be done, and in fact I had considered purchasing the hardware required to read and write the ECU, but the transmission side of things is uncharted territory (not much beyond the data maps and a few other things have really been defined), and while it would be cool to play with (and who knows, maybe it is something I'll look at doing in the future), it is my daily driver after all, so it's not the best guinea pig for experimentation.

    The car is fully functional now, with no dash lights. VDIM (VSC, TRAC, EBD, etc.) and ABS are functional and the car is a blast to drive. I'm a happy camper.

    Jeff
    I'd like to go for a ride in this beast, wings soon?

    Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,269
    Quote Originally Posted by LastLatvian View Post
    I'd like to go for a ride in this beast, wings soon?
    Wednesday?

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,269
    Did the first oil change on the new engine this week and finally got the new tires on the car, they're Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R in 245/40R17 front and 245/45R17 rear. I would have preferred to keep the square tire setup, but the differences between the IS250 and IS350 VDIM parameters just weren't working for me. Thankfully it doesn't look too bad and the driveability is definitely much improved. Traction control does seem to come on a bit quicker than the IS250 (even when taking into account the higher power) but it seems to be a bit less intrusive than the IS250.

    The only unfortunate thing about having the taller rear tires is the effective gearing difference. I was considering going to a shorter final drive before, but now that I have the taller rear tires I think it's pretty much certain that I will. It's not bad, but it is noticeable.







    I also took a video of the car starting up inside:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpEeVr1PLq4

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montréal, QC
    Posts
    8
    Very nice!

    Also :

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,322
    How come your car has a Fsport badge but no Fsport seats?

    Also very good choice in tires, they're really good.

    Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,269
    Quote Originally Posted by LastLatvian View Post
    How come your car has a Fsport badge but no Fsport seats?

    Also very good choice in tires, they're really good.
    F-Sports are only available with AT, my car is not an F-Sport, but I figure it's better. Haha. (I do have most of the F-Sport parts on the car). I have been looking into the seats for a while now. Perhaps soon...

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,269
    So I've driven the car about 20,000 km over the last year and in that time I have decided that while the clutch setup isn't terrible, it could use improving. The throttle response from the 2GR-FSE is better than the 4GR was and as such having the dual mass flywheel with the dampened clutch disc, while smooth, can actually be a bit annoying in certain situations.



    After spending some time thinking about options and designing a new flywheel, I found what I've put together what I was looking for. My new flywheel is chromoly steel and weighs about 2/3 of what the factory dual-mass flywheel weighs. While it is lighter, it still has some weight to it.




    I am using an Aisin NVR 250mm clutch disc with a larger inner and outer diameter and a much larger sprung hub. I've used the NVR clutch discs in a few of my other cars and always been very happy with the way they drive. I will be keeping my existing pressure plate for now, but with the larger clutch disc, it should hold about 20-25 ft-lbs more torque while maintaining the same pedal effort.



    I hope to get it installed shortly, depending on how the weather looks. I've still got the Potenza RE-71R's on the car and they don't care much for the snow, haha.

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,269
    It's been a bit of a crazy year, meant to post some updates earlier, but didn't get a chance to.

    I did get the flywheel installed along with the new clutch disc. It feels fantastic, though I may still adjust it a bit, not sure yet. Much lighter makes for a more rev-happy experience, but it's not crazy light and so does still drive very smooth, as a Lexus should. Additionally I did replace the 3.91:1 Torsen T2 differential setup with a low mileage 4.10:1 T2 to give me a bit more gearing advantage and did a few other items here and there as well.

    Original Dual-Mass Flywheel (120,000 km, 20k of which was with the 2GR-FSE), still in spec, but heavy:


    New Aisin NVR clutch disc beside previous TSB-updated clutch disc. More torque capacity:


    GRMN clutch line/hose setup with no accumulator to replace my previous pieced-together setup:



    4.10:1 Torsen T2 Limited Slip Differential:


    In an effort to freshen-up but also increase a bit of the tight feeling of the car, I went ahead and replaced a few of the bushings/mounts on the car. I carefully considered which engine mounts to go with and almost went with the Megan ones, but I just couldn't get enough confirmation about their characteristics to make the leap.

    2GR/6MT engine mounts / GRMN transmission mount (stiffer than 4GR):


    Replacement shifter bushings:


    TRD differential mounts/stoppers (front upper/lower and rear solid rubber instead of liquid-filled):



    IS-F rear subframe mounts (stiffer than ISx50 stuff):


    Overall, the car feels fantastic at this point, I am still considering other ways to improve its performance, however now that I am back in school things will likely progress a bit slower.

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Onterrible
    Posts
    3,979
    I love what you’ve done to improve this car Jeff! The envy is real - my car would be lucky to drive like yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    I love what you’ve done to improve this car Jeff! The envy is real - my car would be lucky to drive like yours.
    Thanks man, you still have the IS300?

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Onterrible
    Posts
    3,979
    Yeah man, I still have it. Now that I'm in Ontario I've parked it for winter in my garage though. It already has rust and I don't want it to get worse. I'm driving a 06' V6 4runner for winter, we bought to tow a travel travel but found we weren't using it much and sold the trailer last summer. I can't give the truck up though, it's just way to useful for anything we need to do.

    So do you have any more plans for the car? You didn't get a tune for this did you? RR or OV tuning? Some PPE headers would really wake up the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Yeah man, I still have it. Now that I'm in Ontario I've parked it for winter in my garage though. It already has rust and I don't want it to get worse. I'm driving a 06' V6 4runner for winter, we bought to tow a travel travel but found we weren't using it much and sold the trailer last summer. I can't give the truck up though, it's just way to useful for anything we need to do.

    So do you have any more plans for the car? You didn't get a tune for this did you? RR or OV tuning? Some PPE headers would really wake up the engine.
    I did have it retuned (sort of), that is to say I have the Japanese tune (318ps vs 306hp) and a higher rev limit (7200rpm vs 6800rpm).

    I do have some other plans, but no money to make them happen. One day...

    Jeff

    2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •