Not too much to update, been driving it 2-3 days a week. But the Rona got some new shoes for 2017.
Small update. I ordered most everything to redo the steering, sway bar links, front and rear shocks, blocks for the rear, u-bolts, u-joints, and a transmission output seal. I also got a pair of Mighty Max springs from a junkyard a few weeks back.
Spent about 4 hours today just pulling everything apart. Everything was so rusty it took a ridiculous amount of hammer blows to get everything loose. And then when I went to put the steering back together I realized that the tie-rod adjusting sleeves differ from side to side and I ordered two of the same. I also thought that my pitman arm was okay, but it had a good bit of play in it. So I had to order another adjusting sleeve and a new pitman arm, which means I have to wait to put everything back together. Since I realized i couldn't get my steering back together I decided to put the new springs and shocks in. To my surprise the Mighty Max springs only lowered the front by about an inch. I was looking for about 2-3 inches, so I'll probably cut half a coil off til I get it where I want it. I also found that my stock spring had snapped at some point. I don't think I've ever seen a broken spring on anything that hasn't towed a ridiculous amount of weight behind it. Also my front shocks where completely blown. If I compressed them they didn't even start to expand, even hours later.
Hopefully I can get everything back together next weekend, but I know how projects go.
Sometimes springs break from rust, or manufacturing defects; for instance Ford had a big recall on windstar springs from the 90's because they were very prone to breaking.