Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 78 Corona wagon rust bucket wannabe daily

Not too much to update, been driving it 2-3 days a week. But the Rona got some new shoes for 2017.

Small update. I ordered most everything to redo the steering, sway bar links, front and rear shocks, blocks for the rear, u-bolts, u-joints, and a transmission output seal. I also got a pair of Mighty Max springs from a junkyard a few weeks back.

Spent about 4 hours today just pulling everything apart. Everything was so rusty it took a ridiculous amount of hammer blows to get everything loose. And then when I went to put the steering back together I realized that the tie-rod adjusting sleeves differ from side to side and I ordered two of the same. I also thought that my pitman arm was okay, but it had a good bit of play in it. So I had to order another adjusting sleeve and a new pitman arm, which means I have to wait to put everything back together. Since I realized i couldn't get my steering back together I decided to put the new springs and shocks in. To my surprise the Mighty Max springs only lowered the front by about an inch. I was looking for about 2-3 inches, so I'll probably cut half a coil off til I get it where I want it. I also found that my stock spring had snapped at some point. I don't think I've ever seen a broken spring on anything that hasn't towed a ridiculous amount of weight behind it. Also my front shocks where completely blown. If I compressed them they didn't even start to expand, even hours later.

Hopefully I can get everything back together next weekend, but I know how projects go.

Sometimes springs break from rust, or manufacturing defects; for instance Ford had a big recall on windstar springs from the 90's because they were very prone to breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    Sometimes springs break from rust, or manufacturing defects; for instance Ford had a big recall on windstar springs from the 90's because they were very prone to breaking.
    Well considering how much rust is on this thing it shouldn't have surprised me.

The car is back on the ground with Mighty Max springs with 3/4 of a coil cut off and 2 1/5" blocks in the rear.

But I need to put the steering back together. And as always with this car, the rust has prevailed. When I cut the old U-bolts off I guess it broke loose the rust on the axle. The rust had gone all the way through the axle housing right above the spring perch on the left side. Not really sure how I'm gonna fix it. I would try to just weld it up, but it's so caked in rust I'm worried about burning through it. And the perches are so thin on the edges I'd want to replace them at the same time. But do I want to put that much time into an already super rusty car? If I could find a leaf sprung T series out of a Corona I'd just slap it in, but after talking to about a dozen different people and posting on multiple groups I have no leads. So at the moment I'll slap the steering together and it'll just have to sit still for a bit.

Put in a Toyota Previa rear axle! 7.5" rear end with 4.3 rear gears. only hang up is the 5 bolt pattern.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

I wouldn't be super opposed to swapping in a different axle if I had access to a better welder. I'm gonna bide my time for the moment and hope I happen upon a Corona axle. This things is not my first priority so it can sit in the yard for a bit. I'll be sad looking at it but it won't be the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by coheed View Post
    I wouldn't be super opposed to swapping in a different axle if I had access to a better welder. I'm gonna bide my time for the moment and hope I happen upon a Corona axle. This things is not my first priority so it can sit in the yard for a bit. I'll be sad looking at it but it won't be the end of the world.
    just use some gasket maker on the hole, what's the worst that could happen?

just use some gasket maker on the hole, what's the worst that could happen?
    I'm real tempted to clean the rust and slap some JB weld on there...

The only catch is that it has to be grey.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon G View Post
    The only catch is that it has to be grey.
    I'd be ok with the yellow though.

So do you guys think that $250-300 is outrageous for a housing shipped about 3000 miles (4800kms)?

What kind of housing? Like the axle housing? What's still attached to it? Those weigh a lot, so shipping is going to cost a lot anyway.

That is the shipped price, right? Not just the price of shipping?
    Last edited by 4Aaron GE; 04-02-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Empty axle housing, assuming nothing but the housing is in the box. And yes that is shipped not just the shipping.
    Last edited by coheed; 04-02-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Not to much to update. I bought a 7.5" rear end out of a 83 pickup a few weeks ago to replace the rear axle. From my eyeballs and a measuring tape I won't have to modify the spring perches to bolt it up and the brake tee is in pretty much the same spot. But I'll need a 1 piece driveshaft made. I could probably make the 2 piece work but the carrier bearing is super out of round and I think that's were my vibration above 50 was coming from. So might as well knock it all out at the same time. The only thing is being in the middle of college again and my house needing repairs I don't know when I'll get this stuff done. I put some Sta-bil in the tank and crank it up and let it run up to operating temp about every 2 weeks, so the motor is still healthy, just have to find some extra funds.

So I swapped the T series axle in today. The guide pins were just slightly off, maybe 3-4mm, so not a huge issue. Now if I just get the money I'll have a driveshaft made, alignment, and maybe a new exhaust. Also the wheels I had to throw on are way to aggressive with the new axle. I didn't think about the axle being about an inch and three quarters wider.

Wheels look good to me.
    ---------------------------------
    End.

They're not too insane, sit maybe an inch past the fenders. But with my quarters being so rusty the first couple bumps I hit the **** might disintegrate. They have 185/70's right now, will probably try 175/65's all around and see if that works better before I buy different wheels.

Yeah, 185/70 is definitely a bit tall. 185/55 is good too. If you can find them.
    ---------------------------------
    End.