View Poll Results: Paint colour (this poll is rigged).

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Factory red

0 0%
  • Fever Yellow

1 25.00%
  • White

2 50.00%
  • Other. Preferably comes in Tremclad

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

I was going to wait until I had some better pictures to start this thread, but I am in camp and bored so here we go.

Last camp shift I spotted a pair of GTS' for sale on Sunshine coast craigslist for $1600. I figured they would get snapped up before I could get to them but I emailed the owner anyways. He had been getting bombarded by emails but when people realized that to get to the cars from anywhere on the mainland required 2 ferries (and likely 2 trailers) their interest slipped. Thanks to the awkward location of the cars I was in luck when I got out of camp. Before I went to check the cars out the guy emailed me to say the the yellow car was no longer starting... bummer, and the clutch was not working... also bummer. When I got to the owners property he greeted me with the happy news that the car starts not thanks to a new battery, the 10 year old fuel in the tank was not helping, but it was still running. I gave the car a thorough going over and then fired it up. There was a bit of blue on fire-up, but no drama and sounded good. I got in to try to the clutch which had felt fine when it was not running. I tried a gear, and voila, motion! With the owners permission I took the car out to the rural road he lives on and took it for a spin. Again, no drama, shifted fine, brakes worked, steering steered, all the driving functions functioned. Biggest problem was that the headliner was sitting on my head and the seat was not bolted down. Considering the car seemed driveable I came up with a plan to get both home in one go. With the help of a friend, his truck, a rented trailer, and some tactics of questionable legality I got both cars home.

So what did I get?

For parts a complete red kouki GTS hatch:
    -179xxxkms
    -Blown up engine (not sure of the nature)
    -Super rusty shell
    -Never been hit, the rust is straight

Old racecar yellow zenki GTS hatch:
    -Ex ProFormance racing car. Racecar since the early '90s.
    -Previous owner cut the cage out in hopes of converting it to street...
    -138xxxkms on the odometer.
    -Hardtop
    -Original AC car. Still ha AC controls and evap HVAC setup in car. AC pump and lines gone.

Engine, drivetrain:
    -Runs well, pulls strong (cams? decked for CR?)
    -Stock intake with K&N drop in
    -EGR removed
    -Big racecar exhaust
    -Spool in the diff I think. I know the proformance cars used to run LSDs, but feels like no give.

Suspension:
    -Tokico Illuminas all around
    -Front coilover conversion (unknown spring rate atm but look like eibach and should have markings)
    -Rear TRD race I believe.. blue springs.
    -Steel front camber plates
    -Stock 5-links
    -Stock bushings
    -6 15x7 unknown brand/offset wheels with old cracked RA1s. If someone can figure out what they are that would be cool. The spokes are slightly angled like fan blades.

Brakes:
    -Stock with stainless braided lines

Body:
    -No rust in the usual AE86 places.
    -Rust at the top of windshield from a poor windshield swap?
    -Evidence of racing incidents
    -Rad support has some kinks
    -Front right rail in front of strut tower has a kink
    -Left rear corner was punched hard at some point and fixed to a racecar standard.
    -Some dummy wrecked the floor to get at the fuel pump.

The plan:
    -Replace the front end forward of the shock tower with the clip off the parts car.
    -Replace the left rear corner with the corner off the parts car.
    -Replace the floor section above the fuel pump with parts car section.
    -Straighten out the rockers that have seen bad jacking practices.
    -Buy some new pieces from T3: New camber plates, adjustable LCAs, tension rods, tie rod ends, panhard.
    -Put a cage back in it
    -Paint it back to original red
    -RACE!

Last edited by clay72; 05-27-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

best fuel pump re/re ever.

Hey clay, let me know if your interested in selling the engine wiring harness and gas tank from the kouki car if you decide to part it out. The yellow car looks pretty good, those pic that were posted did not do it justice
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

I'll let you know. I will definitely have a spare harness.

Oh, also I will be prepping it to SCCA ITA spec which allows for 1950lbs weight. Is that possible to achieve?
    Last edited by clay72; 05-27-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

great deal on the 2 cars! I think the yellow is growing on me...you should leave it
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some hairdresser comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

That red one still looks better than Ontario mint! That was a really good deal! I don't think the yellow is too bad either, and it looks like ok paint.
    Last edited by Blade7; 05-28-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    I'll let you know. I will definitely have a spare harness.

Oh, also I will be prepping it to SCCA ITA spec which allows for 1950lbs weight. Is that possible to achieve?
    my coupe is 2200 lbs full interior, it didn't have any under coating and the interior really doesn't weigh that much... I honestly don't see how I would lose more weight besides carbon doors and lexen glass

Just ditching the american bumpers, hood webbing, and some of the glass will make leaps towards your 1950lb goal. There are some 1800lb corollas, but that can be tricky.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

This car uses JDM bumpers, so class legal? Lexan is not allowed. You can only remove door glass. You can also remove headlights and headlight motors. Aftermarket ECU is also allowed but AFM must remain in place as must stock ignition type. I have a MS2 I'll throw in eventually.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/05/22/...la-gt-s-racer/
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

His doors are mucho-gutted too.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    my coupe is 2200 lbs full interior, it didn't have any under coating and the interior really doesn't weigh that much... I honestly don't see how I would lose more weight besides carbon doors and lexen glass
    The drift slut was only 1800lbs

Yeah my white ae86 coupe was 1930 lbs with plexi windows, gutted everything, side pipe, 14" wheels, no bumpers.

no markings on the insides of the wheels? i imagine the word "fin" is in their names. many wheels of that era had a fin/20 spoke wheel

Only markings i can find are 15JJ 6.5 Offset 20. Have JWL casting marks too, so something out of japan. I need to get a spare set of 15x7 wheels (max legal size). Something in a 0 offset. Might just pick up a set of rewinds. Or Scrotas.

I was pulling the parts car apart this weekend when I was kidnapped by my friends for a bachelor party in Vic. Managed to work on it yesterday though some of my hangover. Next steps will be to pull it's engine, trans, and driveshafts. I took the valve covers off and there is evidence of bottom end bearing material. The cams are not scored at all thought. Time will tell how much of the bearings got chewed and if the bottom end is a rebuildable core or if i have a garbage crank.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Got the red car stripped a bit.

It ended up in chunks in the back of a toyota pickup.

Wow real metal!

Cut

trim

Zap

Zip

And just because I miss this car and saw it in my photo host library

1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

i miss the blue car too.

the shell is actually in good hands, its currently being built for track stuff...

Got the new front end on the car!. Put quite a bit of time into fitting it up and it went well. Now the front end will be square and all the panels and headlight buckets should fit up mint... at least until the first race.

1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I have managed to fit in a bit of frantic car thrashing between camp shifts. Rear quarter time. It is now fully welded and not just tacked as in the photos. Very happy with the results. I also had to replace the upper windshield frame. The last metal work will be some stuff on the floors where it has seen a lot of bad jacking practices at the racetrack which have crunched various supports and reinforcements. It is class legal to install some reinforced jacking points which shall be strategically placed. I swear this car was super solid and worth saving! I am just not leaving any stone unturned and because I had the spare sheet metal I am putting it to use. Turns out I am actually restoring the parts car using pieces from the yellow car. Call it a VIN-up restoration?

Once the floors are done I will do some refinishing on the diff and install with my new T3 heim links and panhard, paint the engine bay tremclad grey and refinish the front subframe, LCAs, struts, and install with T3 outter tie rod ends, RCAs, and manual rack, then I will have a roller again and it's cage time!

Unless you guys think i can fit the shell into a longbox truck bed.

Windshield frame rust

New quarter draped in place

Old and busted

New hotness

Buy my BMW! It is clogging up the driveway.
    Last edited by clay72; 08-19-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Time to make floor fix
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car