Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: notnilc20's 1986 ae86 Hatch build/restoration

notnilc20's 1986 ae86 Hatch build/restoration

Hi everyone, just thought I'd post my build on this here Dori-Kaze forum as it seems to be the most active between the eight six forums. I'm doing an ae86 SR5 to GTS conversion and post my updates on youtube. Check em out from time to time here is a link to the thread on club4ag but the new stuff i will post here from now on as well. Thank you and also constructive tips and advice is always appreciated. For the first few videos i apologize for the crappy camera work and editing but i get a little better as time progresses.
    http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18212
    Last edited by notnilc20; 08-04-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Aftermarket oil cooler install
    https://youtu.be/blK_hLXQUN8

Rear end removal
    https://youtu.be/2Wi4T4nU4aw

Rear end swap part 1
    https://youtu.be/dgFK7OklktA

I love your mishe radiator. Keep up the good work, it must be hotter than hell in memphis right now.

Thanks Sparkie, yes it's been crzy hot for the past couple weeks....110 heat index and the humidity is what gets you...

Tearing down the gm 7.625 rear end and prepping it to transfer all the bracketry and perches over to it. Here's the vid.
    https://youtu.be/psOgWs5Y22E

Hey guys and gals.....i finally get the perches and control arm brackets welded and finish up with a nice lil paint job. Here's the link
    https://youtu.be/duoNoE_k6zs

Thank you.

Can you just post some pictures? Looks like a nice shell from the club4ag posts.
    Last edited by clay72; 08-19-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Can you just post some pictures? Looks like a nice shell from the club4ag posts.
    Ok here's a few before and afters......but watch the vids to see it all come together.

That rear end looks pretty. What drove the choice of an F-body rear end? Will you be throwing more power at the engine in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    That rear end looks pretty. What drove the choice of an F-body rear end? Will you be throwing more power at the engine in the future?
    Thanks...and yes.....i plan on more power....i'm thinking boost. But the main reason is because i didn't have an sr5 driveshaft to connect and my gts driveshaft is too short to reach. I tried to get a gts rear end but here in the states in the midsouth it's next to impossible to find one and i already got scammed by a guy telling me he'd sell me his gts rear end (got my money back though via paypal). I was getting the run arou d by a few different people....(what's the deal with that?) Even now trying to buy ac and powersteering stuff people have ads for sale and tell me they'll sell to me then when it comes time to deliver they don't come through. So i just decided to do this on my own and go bigger since i am planning for more power soon.

Looks good.
    Lots of cheap LSD choices? Disc? How does the width compare to corolla stuff?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Looks good.
    Lots of cheap LSD choices? Disc? How does the width compare to corolla stuff?
    Thanks. The widths are pretty close....the gts rear is 54.8 and the gm 7.625 rear is 54.25 so about a quarter inch on each side shorter. I like that there is no cutting of the axle tubes like there is with the ford 8.8.
    Brakes.....i did a disc swap from a 99 blazer....

as for lsd....i ended up finding 3.73 gears from the salvage yard from a 99 blazer and it also has the locker rear end. Only crappy thing about it is it doesn't engage over 25mph....so it's more for getting out of a jamb if you are losing traction on one wheel at lower speeds. But i swapped diffs for the 3.73 gears mainly. But if i wanted to i could search for lsd from a gm car maybe from a camaro or firebird or something.....or i could just buy one aftermarket.....there are a lot of them available yes and they aren't $1,000 either like some for the 86. Much cheaper prices here.

I do a disc brake conversion and diff swap with 3.73 gears and locker rear end and finally install this thing. What a ride it's been. Heres a link to all the excitement.
    https://youtu.be/zjHURCg3pgg

Ok here are a few pics of the rear end after the disc brake conversion.....the vid link above shows the process.....thanks.

Wow that looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work on the conversion. Looks very clean!!

Soo much brake!

Thanks guys....yes plenty of brake. I went to the salvage yard today and i found a g80 rpo code out of a '99 camaro. What does that mean? Well i have already a g80 diff from a Blazer but gm put the gov loc lsd in the blazers and they only lock up under 25mph.....it's more for trucks and suv's not sports cars like a true lsd with a spring. But a g80 code in a camaro or firebird means true lsd or gm calls it posi trac or something like that. So i spent a little time and pulled it from the camaro and now it's going in the rear end for the 8-6. Gotta pull the gov loc diff out and Just gotta change the bearings......and i'll put this baby in there. wish i could do all this stuff just once.....but that would be too easy.
    Last edited by notnilc20; 08-26-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Is that a reluctor wheel on the ring gear for some kind of traction control system?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    Is that a reluctor wheel on the ring gear for some kind of traction control system?
    Seems like i remember hearing that it was for the rear abs.