Thread: RA24 Celica Independent Suspension Conversion

RA24 Celica Independent Suspension Conversion

Hello Toyota Fans,
    This is how I put IRS into the rear of my Celica.

http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/ce...tyonp.jpg.html

1991 Miata Subframe and Suspension from PnP
    12 cm Out

Trim to Fit

Mount the R200 Diff

Modify S13 Hubs to fit Miata Wheel Bearings

S13 Top and Miata Bottom

Add 240SX Rotors and a Flying Miata Brake Caliper Kit

Ready to Install in the Car. It Bolts into the front upper mounts for the old 4 link suspension and also 4 bolts through the Frame Legs.

Then Drive the Car

After Thoughts:
    If I was going to repeat this process I would have used a S13 R200 LSD and then I would have gotten two short side S13 rear axles. I then would have looked at narrowing the Subframe the correct amount to work with those axles. the Drive Shaft Shop Axles are very nice but also fairly pricey with exchange and duty etc.
    I also would have tried to put a loop in the lower Subframe reinforcement so that an exhaust pipe would fit thru. Side Exit exhaust became a necessity.
    The Celica required very little trimming of the sheet metal. All the original mounting points for the Solid axle are currently retained. The Subframe is mounted the opposite direction in the chassis than which it was in the miata. This allowed the offset upper control arm to clear the frame legs and the floor. It also allowed the shock and spring to line up with the original spring mount in the chassis. The Subframe could easily be mounted taller in the chassis if one did not want their car to sit so low. I could easily raise my car without negatively effecting the geometry.

The Handling and Ride Quality of the Rear of the Car was greatly Improved!

Adam
    Last edited by 77Celica; 01-24-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    Josh Danish is a Scammer

I'm gonna order this on a pillow, and maybe some canvas prints for my wife.

Seriously though, mega excellent sharp work. you did exactly what I want to do to the subframe (narrowing/widening). How awesome is the car now?

also you can embed images using "img" inside square brackets:
    Code:
    [img] url to image here [/img]
    photobucket can generate the "bbcode" for you.

Sparkie, maybe a group Buy? My Wife's birthday is coming up.
    Seriously, Thank You for the lesson in code!

Adam
    Josh Danish is a Scammer

visean is offline Yo, troubled night in the John
    Very very cool! Can you tell us more about the axles that you used on there?

Quote Originally Posted by visean View Post
    Very very cool! Can you tell us more about the axles that you used on there?
    I used custom Axles from DriveShaftShop.com "This is the 600HP Level 2.9 system for the S13 and S14 platform. The Level 2.9 axles feature an outer CV that is a ball & cage type, a great improvement over the 240SX factory tripod style CV, our high-grade aircraft quality torsional center bars that twist more than a factory unit absorbing a great deal of the shock factor and a Porsche style 108mm CV with precision billet adapter plates and hardware to mount to the factory differential stubs"

They use Billet Adapters to go from the Nissan Flange to the Porsche 108mm CV Bolt Pattern. Like This but Black in my Photos

In the Nissan's they offset the differential to the driver's side. This allows the input of the driveshaft to be completely straight. They then have a shorter Driver's side drive axle than the passenger side Like this:

I Mounted the R200 differential in the center of the cross member. Both axles are the same length but the input of the driveshaft is offset a little to the passenger side just like in nearly all Toyota's of this era. I used the R200 from a J30 because it was cheap low mileage and they all came with VLSD factory (it has a different (5) axle flange bolt pattern than the (6)S13). I attempted to use the Shorter Driver's Side CV axle from the J30 on both sides of my car but it was slightly too long... If I had started with a VLSD from a S13 I am almost positive that the Driver's Side S13 axle would have been the correct length because they are a little shorter than the J30 axle.

So, to conclude if I was going to try to do this in a less expensive way I would find a S13 LSD and Drivers Side (Short) axle before I narrowed the Miata Rear Subframe 12 cm. If running those axles meant Narrowing the track width slightly less I probably would have done this. Hub to Hub the Miata was 3 Inches wider than the original rearend. The 7.5" Celica-Supra Rear Axle I had in the car which was 1.5 inches wider than original. 12 cm brought this back to stock distance from Hub to Hub.

If I was going to get Custom Axles made either way I could have either kept the 4x100mm Miata hubs or pressed in 5x114.3 Bolt Protege 5 front hubs which are the same spline as the Miata Instead of Machining down the S13 4x114.3 Hubs. I hope this clarifies things.

Adam
    Josh Danish is a Scammer

Now I needed to sort out the front end.
    I created my own front cross member which relocated the inner control mounts Upwards to fix the suspension geometry issues. This also allowed me to install a steering rack for superior steering, geometry, feel and control. Bottom holes are original height, Middle is Goldilocks and Top is Extreme Option!

I got the Steering Column from a 1983 Celica and Lego'd it to a 1992 Celica Steering Rack which I converted to Manuel Steering.

Here you can see some TechnoToyTuning lower control arms, 1994 Supra Inner Tie Rod Ends and 1992 Celica outter Tie Rod Ends. Toyota Lego! I am using the Jack to check for Bump Steer.

1991 Supra Turbo Mark 3 Front Rotors Re-drilled for 4 bolt; 30 cm Diameter. The Hubs were shaved down a touch to clear. Also, there are Wilwood Superlite Caliper with 3.0 square inch piston area.

"CAD" Template to mount the Calipers. Cardboard Aided Design

This is what the front Brakes look like after a day on a race track!
    Dirty!

I made it to Mission Race Way in September; Thank You Kevin for these nice Photos.

Josh Danish is a Scammer