Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened?

What happened?

Wow, this forum seems like a ghost town these days...

I remember when this was a thriving community, next in line after Club4ag Moto started....

I think forums in general are kind of dying, the facebook page is much more active.

It's sad, but it's like as soon as some people leave, everyone else starts to leave too because then there is nothing posted here...

Not enough old 86's around anymore or any old Toyotas in general

People grow up. Generations move on and then the next one takes the other's place. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to really be any guys in my generation that take an interest in these cars. Kids my age seem to be more interested in the s-chassis'
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

no corollas for anymore, community can only shrink.

1) Newer forms of vommunication r better then forums
    2) cars r becoming super rare
    3) people getting ahold of parts and gouging

jehuty summed it up well. it's not very fun to build a corolla anymore, never any available, no used parts to browse through, can't even buy unnecessary things for the car anymore. I've been thinking about a cheap rebuilt frs myself, or a Miata

I still check here daily, but there's not much going on. Nobody asking questions to answer, and I'm too busy to be doing anything cool myself, haha.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

I still check daily, quite active in the community but don't really post. Also most of my projects move at a snails pace since Life>cars

Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    jehuty summed it up well. it's not very fun to build a corolla anymore, never any available, no used parts to browse through, can't even buy unnecessary things for the car anymore. I've been thinking about a cheap rebuilt frs myself, or a Miata
    I've also been thinking about a Miata or an FR-S aswell because they're so plentiful that if someone were to hit you, you could easily transfer all your parts to another Miata whereas AE86s, Panels, and parts are rare and expensive that you constantly have to baby it everywhere you go.

Rust has also claimed many cars, combined with the weak dollar and parts becoming more rare and expensive it's becoming an expensive hobby, eventually, people just sell and move on to something else.

There have been many times where I've been fed up with mine to be honest, it's not fun driving in the middle of traffic with the constant reminder that it's game over if someone runs a stop sign or a red light.
    Last edited by Mdnght Lvr; 04-15-2017 at 05:07 PM.

A good ae-86 is as rare or rarer than a 70 Chevelle or 69 Camaro but unfortunately they have struggled to gain status in North America.I recently took my mint 87 SR-5 to a local cruise in.I arrived early,parked and said to the guy parking cars "Will mine be alright parked here?He said it is for now but you'll have to move it when "the cars" get here! Status maintains interest,if no one else is interested eventually you're not either,sad but true.

I just got an SW20. I like that I don't see many, but there seem to be enough being parted out where ever that I can get parts. I'm currently in Japan and the 86 prices are crazy here. I want another one to bring home, but it will cost a lot. When I was at Toyota, the FR-S was a joy to drive! I liked how it was reliable, fun at the track, and still RWD. I do plan on getting one when I get home too.

I just can't afford cars anymore. Even the cheap or free ones I always find. No matter how hard I work, I never gather enough money to get ahead. It's a curse!
    SpeedHero

penis.

I`m amassing a pile of parts. Bringing it back with Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavirace View Post
    A good ae-86 is as rare or rarer than a 70 Chevelle or 69 Camaro but unfortunately they have struggled to gain status in North America.I recently took my mint 87 SR-5 to a local cruise in.I arrived early,parked and said to the guy parking cars "Will mine be alright parked here?He said it is for now but you'll have to move it when "the cars" get here! Status maintains interest,if no one else is interested eventually you're not either,sad but true.
    Doesn`t help that you`re in Stratford. I mean, when I think of the kinds of demographic that would be interested in Japanese cars, or even Sport Compacts in general, it`s not exactly the place I think of first.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    I`m amassing a pile of parts. Bringing it back with Blade.
    Yes, bring me lots of Corolla parts please

Did I tell you I found a boat Aaron? We just need to drive to Osaka.

I try to be as active as I can on the forums and facebook page.

I'm currently trying to put together a build thread of my 86.

However, I think brandon hit the nail on the head.

Our generation of early 20 somethings are mostly interested in other platforms.

However, Toyota will always be my #1 and I do what I can to keep it alive but with parts and cars becoming harder to find or way overpriced it puts a damper on new people getting into Toyotas.

That's just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honourary ae92 Boro Crew member checking in.

I miss my old Corolla. One of the few regrets I'll have was letting her go. I'm always looking for that right old car to pop up, with the right price, in the GTA = unicorn
    '90 4A-GE, '00 1ZZ-FE FWD? WTF.
    '92 5S-FE, '01 D17A2,
    '06 J35A7 VCM, '07 J30A5,
    '88 VW MKII, '88 Datsun/Nissan
    R.I.P. LM.05/13