Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happened?

it's called dori-kaze ......
    My Blog CarJunkies

Nice to see some familiar names in this thread.

I still remember checking DK daily when I was in junior high and in high school -- still checked often when I was in uni.

Fast forward a number of years and my interests changed...

Always been a lurker, but still check the forums once a day.

For the vancouver guys, what happened to Brian, Narfy, & Crzy_Joe? Are they still around? Do they still own corollas?

Quote Originally Posted by J268 View Post

For the vancouver guys, what happened to Brian, Narfy, & Crzy_Joe? Are they still around? Do they still own corollas?
    Brian's still around. He bought another coupe recently. He periodically updates his build thread about it every few months. Narfy's moved on. He's got a Landcruiser now I'm pretty sure.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Ya the job/wife/kids/mortgage really tests the car addiction, some survive, some don't, and some get a divorce haha.
    My Blog CarJunkies

Quote Originally Posted by jp86 View Post
    Ya the job/wife/kids/mortgage really tests the car addiction, some survive, some don't, and some get a divorce haha.

Amen to that. I've hardly touched my Corolla in the past two years. Sold some parts, bought some parts, contemplated selling the car, turned away buyers. Life gets easier and harder at the same time once you get older.

I know I have personally found a better balance when it comes to my car obsession. Sometimes a little break goes a long ways too. That being said, I love DK and check in daily. I have made some awesome friends here who I talk to regularly.

One of the best things about DK is not necessarily the cars, the parts or the builds - but the people.

I do, look forward to making some progress on the corolla in the near-ish future, and of course to share that progress with you all.
    2011 Ford Escape - stock
    1984 AE86 - SR20
    1976 KE35 - rust bucket

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3w View Post
    Nice to see some familiar names in this thread.

I still remember checking DK daily when I was in junior high and in high school -- still checked often when I was in uni.

Fast forward a number of years and my interests changed...

Is this really your ride or your looking to get one???!!! If its yours i'm pretty jealous atm!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some hairdresser comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Is this really your ride or your looking to get one???!!! If its yours i'm pretty jealous atm!
    It's mine. I still really want an AE86.

I still message an AE86 seller that I contacted back in the mid 2000. The seller works oversea so his car is just parked at his parents place. Maybe one day I'll be in a position to pick it up.

life, its hard!
    moving, job changes, married, everything is different now.
    finding it hard to have the funds to go have fun. I haven't checked in here forever, as I interact with lots of dk gus in person, facebook, text.
    as some one said, lots of us are personal friends now and it goes way deeper than build threads and online bs. we now bs in person! haha

Quote Originally Posted by J268 View Post

I've been driving an 80-series landcruiser for a few years. Yeah, I dd a beater coupe. It's fun, and slow. I haven't been on here in ages because I sold the altezza-86 some years back, and it hurt too much to look at corollas, even on the internet.
    - Brian

Sure, lots of us got old, had kids, got a mortgage , blah blah blah. This is nothing new. I've personally been active in this community through at least 3 almost complete generational changes. The old guys get older and fade out, new guys come in, act like a bunch of dumb kids for awhile, then mature up and become upstanding contributors to the board and the community. Then the cycle repeats every 4 to 6 years. This is not that.

This is ****ing facebook. Seriously, **** facebook. Its not just killing 80s/90s car communities, its killing all forums, everywhere. People still love cars. People still love old cars. Yes, as our cars age, there slowly becomes less of them and less of us into this things, but that is a slow decline. What we have seen over the last 2 years is a 50+ % decline in all forum traffic across all forums. You know whats consistent with these boards that are dying? The facebook groups that cater to the same community are doing just fine. Every board I used to frequent is seeing the exact same thing (celicasupra.com, supraforums.com, japanesenostalgiccar.com, DK etc). Now I don't want to sound like the crazy old guy who hates everything new and refuses to keep up with change, but facebook is not an adequate replacement for forums. These boards exist primarily as a resource for people fixing, restoring and modifying a particular car. They also are used to document people's ongoing builds. Facebook sucks at doing those 2 things. Searching and finding useful info on FB is a joke. As an organizational tool and a medium to store and present useful information, it is horrible. However, it does the social side of things much better then forums, has built in picture hosting and its pretty much everyone's main portal into the internet so you can do all of your browsing under one roof, which a lot of people like. But we are going to lose so much if all of our boards completely die, FB is not an acceptable replacement for forums. I wish people would realize this and stop using the FB groups or at least make an effort to check into their community's boards as much as they do on FB. Ultimately it is the community that is choosing to fragment themselves and to let the boards die.

And uh, hey guys! I'm still alive. FB has nothing to do with me not being around here anymore. More the other stuff, had a kid, house renos, career, not really into corollas or drifting etc. Anyways, I am coming to the 8 6 Day meet on Sunday. Hoping to see some old friends and meet the new guard. I'm coming out in my black '86... Supra! (of course)
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 08-08-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Agree with all that. I haven't been on much in the last few years and I quit Facebook too and don't miss it. I moved north, still have too many project cars and not enough time/money, my kids are both in college and life gets busier with more responsibilities. I still keep in touch with a few DK members outside of the forum and I'd hate to see it die. But if FB died I wouldn't shed a tear.

Seamus - Facebook isn't killing all forums. IH8Mud is crazy popular, even in the face of probably hundreds or thousands of comparable Facebook groups. What's different there?

-forum software is new, fancy and well-featured.
    -4x4ing lends itself to "builds" even more than sports cars - half or more of the hobby is the build.
    -i thought i had a few more points but apparently I am out. Shoot. I might not even be right: Mud could be shrinking.
    Dean L.
    2007 Lexus LX470
    1985 Toyota Celica Supra 1JZ - 1JZ, restored
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73

I have to agree facebook is killing dk, ive been on here forever,

Also I was told recently dk changed ownership?

Seems way harder to find parts compared to 2010. Not much fun if they're not cheap cars anymore.

I'm hoping this forum will survive and this is just a regression from being trendy and going back to toyota lifers and find a new pace. . My entire Toyota-centric car life has been built on and around it since 2000, I remember when Dennis was trying to get me to join the email list even before that.
    My Blog CarJunkies

I feel so out of the loop with no cell phone and no Facebook. At least there seems to be a bit more activity here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post
    I have to agree facebook is killing dk, ive been on here forever,

Also I was told recently dk changed ownership?

Correct. This was done so that a more active administration team could be created. It's still in the hands of one of the long term DK members, fear not my child.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Part of the problem is these cars broke down so much when you first got them that everyone on here pretty much knows what it is when a problem arises based on personal experience lol Or we've upgraded our cars many times over that there's not alot more to learn /do to them that we haven't seen before. And someone mentioned earlier the chance of getting your hands on one now are getting harder and harder to find which means less new recruits - I'm pretty much on here just to check out the new build threads I've been working on a 71 roadrunner the last 4/5 years which has been challenging and new and cool and it has eaten all of my time, now that I'm almost done that car I would like to try something else like a bike powered mini or a datsun or something completely different like a cafe racer...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some hairdresser comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*