Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOR SALE: 1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86)

Icon4 FOR SALE: 1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86)

General Vehicle Details:

Year: 1987

Make, Model and Body Type/Trim Level: Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86)

Transmission: 5-Speed Manual

Exterior Color: Black (w/ Blue Pearls)

Interior Color: Black/Charcoal

Odometer Reading: 182,610 KMs (as of May 30, 2017)

Location of Vehicle: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

General Condition of Vehicle: Good to Very Good (for a 30 year old vehicle)

Specific Details:

Engine Description: Original and stock engine (1.6 Litre, 16-Valve, 4AGE, 1,587cc, DOHC Inline-4, “Blue Top”).

Maintenance History: I’m the second owner of the vehicle (since August 5, 2003) and since then, I’ve used either a synthetic blend (Mobile 1 High Mileage) or full synthetic (Mobil 1 Advanced Synthetic) oil and paired it with genuine Toyota Oil Filters (7 brand new Toyota Oil Filters are also included). From what I can recall, this is a list of items I have replaced and/or repaired over time: valve cover gaskets and grommets; full rebuild of distributor and replacement of gaskets/seals (performed by Toyota); oil pan gasket; timing and accessory (serpentine) belt; and oil cooler lines.

Upgrades/Mods History: K & N Cone Air Filter; Cusco Oil Catch Can; Techno Pro Spirit Rebuild Toyota Starter w/ Adapter; Kirkland Battery w/ tie-down; Magnaflow Performance Muffler with 2 ” Custom Exhaust Piping.

Transmission/Transaxle: Original and stock transmission (T50). Recently changed the transmission fluid to Pennzoil Synchromesh. NOTE: You will probably need to replace both the pilot and release bearings as there is a “whirling” noise which is starting to come about when the clutch is pressed and depressed.

Maintenance & Mods History: Replaced clutch in 2004/2005 with a clutch kit from TechnoToyTuning (T3). Unfortunately, I don’t remember which brand and “stage” clutch it was (it was either a 1 or 2, as it is still fairly “streetable”). Installed/Replaced the following items: Earl’s Performance SS (Braided) Clutch Line; Toyota (OEM) clutch master & slave cylinders; and TechnoToyTuning (T3) Short Shifter.

Differential Description, Type and/or Mods: Kaaz 2-Way Limited Slip Differential (LSD). Recently changed the gear oil with Pennzoil Axle Oil (80W-90, GL-5) and added Ford Friction Modifier (2 bottles of the friction modifier are also included). NOTE: From experience, don’t use synthetic gear oil, it tends to be too slick for the clutch plates to grab and will cause a lot of chattering during dry to low speed turns. Use a mineral-based gear oil with the friction modifier to silence the chatter.

Suspension Description and/or Mods: This is where the majority of the upgrades (and money) went. The following items have been installed: Cusco Front & Rear Sway Bars (23mm & 20mm, respectively); T3 Front & Rear Strut Tower Bars; T3 Front & Rear Coil-Over Kit; T3 Rear 4-Links Kit; T3 Panhard/Lateral Bar; T3 Upper-Hat & Camber Plate Kit; and T3 Roll Center Adjusters (RCAs).

Brakes Condition/Mods: Brembro Front Rotors (Dimpled & Slotted); Bradi Rear Rotors (Cross-Drilled & Slotted); Hawk HPS Brake Pads; Replaced Front-Left (Driver’s Side) Caliper; Replaced Right-Rear (Passenger’s Side) Caliper; Replaced Both E-Brake Cables; and Goodridge SS (Braided) Brake Lines.

Exterior Description: The original color was black and I repainted it black with blue pearls. In direct sunlight, it will look navy blue or black (depending on the angle), and at night it will look black. Unfortunately, the body is not without some minor rust, which was probably due from the original owner driving it during the winter when she owned it. However, I have not winter driven the vehicle since I have owned it (August 2003). I have always had a second vehicle to drive during the winter (and also had a second AE86 which was my “winter beater” for some years). Installed a H4 Headlights Conversion Kit. Both door locks and the hatch have been replaced with Solex locks. The hood has been replaced with a B-Tuned Drop-Vent Carbon Fiber Hood and paired with a Sparco Hood Pin Kit. AE92 side-skirts have also been fitted onto the vehicle and I have an AE86 Rear Lip Spoiler which is included (but not installed).

Interior Description: The cabin interior is original and in very good condition, including the stock cassette tape player (which still works) and the cup holder located behind the e-brake centre console. The sunroof seal/gasket was also replaced. For the trunk/hatch interior, I removed the paneling and soundproofing material and sprayed a black matte Tremclad coat in its place to prevent surface rusting. Installed items include: TechnoToyTuning 75mm Steering Column Spacer; Sparco Steering Wheel & Adapter; Sparco Fighter Racing Seat with Sliders & Base; Sparco 3-Point Bolt-In Racing Harness; Sparco Race Pedals; and a TRD Leather Shift Knob

Wheels & Tires: There are four (4) stock 14” snowflake (aluminum) wheels on four (4) Bridgestone Blizzaks, mounted/balanced. These Blizzaks have a decent amount of tread left on them but you will need to purchase a new or used set of tires, as these tires are quite old and belonged to my other “winter beater” AE86. I use these at my own risk since I do not drive on them much anyways. You will be using these tires at your own risk as well, but they would probably make a great set of tires to burn off at drift practice if you so choose. There is one (1) steel wheel spare included.

“Extras” (Included): The original hood is also included, which is painted the same color as the car. The original steering wheel and shifter is buried somewhere in my garage, under a bunch of spare parts, which I also intend to include, so be prepared to take away a bunch of this stuff as I have no use for it anymore (and I have no idea whether any of these parts are useable or not).

Asking Price: $8600

Contact Information:

Please contact me by sending a Private Message (PM). NOTE: If I don't respond to your message right away, that doesn’t mean I’m ignoring you. I have a lot of things to take care of at the moment and I'll respond to you as soon as possible and in the order I received your message. The vehicle is currently unregistered and only has fire/theft coverage. Therefore, before I go through the efforts of registering & insuring the vehicle (and a good wash & wax)—serious enquiries only please. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

NOTE: These pictures were taken last year, September 26, 2016.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_01.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	785.4 KB 
ID:	15521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_02.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	778.7 KB 
ID:	15520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_03.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	882.3 KB 
ID:	15498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_04.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	965.2 KB 
ID:	15499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_05.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	516.4 KB 
ID:	15519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_06.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	683.4 KB 
ID:	15518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_08.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	729.7 KB 
ID:	15517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_09.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	600.1 KB 
ID:	15516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_10.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	929.4 KB 
ID:	15500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_11.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	704.4 KB 
ID:	15515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_19.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	599.8 KB 
ID:	15514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_20.jpg 
Size:	611.6 KB 
ID:	15513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_23.jpg 
Size:	513.2 KB 
ID:	15512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_24.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	624.6 KB 
ID:	15511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_25.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	15510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_27.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	748.1 KB 
ID:	15509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_28.jpg 
Size:	654.6 KB 
ID:	15508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_29.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	706.9 KB 
ID:	15507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_30.jpg 
Size:	750.6 KB 
ID:	15506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_31.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	693.4 KB 
ID:	15505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_32.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	678.3 KB 
ID:	15504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_33.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	691.3 KB 
ID:	15503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_35.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	699.6 KB 
ID:	15502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_36.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	622.7 KB 
ID:	15501
    Last edited by cmx378; 07-31-2017 at 07:54 PM.

i haven't posted in a while but man that's nice!
    learning alot but still dont know it all...

I remember seeing this car at Sumaru's like ten years ago. Always wondered what ever happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshimura View Post
    i haven't posted in a while but man that's nice!
    That makes both of us...you probably don't even remember me...but I think I either sold you my silver AE86 or bought some parts off of you a long while back...

Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    I remember seeing this car at Sumaru's like ten years ago. Always wondered what ever happened to it.
    Nothing much has happened to the car since you last saw her...she's basically been hibernating in the garage...dormant. It's an injustice to keep her from the wild, which is why I'm parting ways with her now. It's time for someone else to take over the "dream"...

Wow this is a great example. Thanks for being a good owner, the 2000's weren't a great decade for corollas.....few survived.
    My Blog CarJunkies

Sold?

Sooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucch bondooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    SpeedHero

penis.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Sold?
    Hi North. Please check my response to your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    Sooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucch bondooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Hi DiscoQuinn. I don't recall every meeting you in person to show you the car. Therefore, how could you be "Sooooooooooo" confident there's any bondo?

Quote Originally Posted by cmx378 View Post
    Hi DiscoQuinn. I don't recall every meeting you in person to show you the car. Therefore, how could you be "Sooooooooooo" confident there's any bondo?
    That's no problem. It's just extremely visible in the photos you've posted. Appears to be a few pounds on each quarter panel.

SpeedHero

penis.

That's no problem. It's just extremely visible in the photos you've posted. Appears to be a few pounds on each quarter panel.

Thanks for the picture comparison. Judging from the similar picture angles, the top picture is of your AE86?

Could you please point out what we're supposed to be looking at exactly? I see two black AE86 rear quarter panels. Both have obviously been repainted. It is extremely difficult to know--for a fact--which has "pounds" of bondo on them and which does not. Does a new paint job = pounds of bondo? In my opinion, both quarter panels do not exhibit any visible signs of bondo.

Additionally, the original mileage for the car is 182,610 KMs and it's never been winter driven since I've owned it (2003). Logically, we could infer there was very little rust to take care of in the first place, which then leads to the inference that it's not unreasonable to believe the car doesn't exhibit the amount of bondo you claim it has.

When I had my car repainted, I instructed Sumaru's (when Reggie owned it) to cut out any rusted holes and weld new metal in because I didn't want bondo, I wanted it done "the right way." Therefore, if you can provide what's seemingly an expert opinion on what I should be looking out for, that would be appreciated. I'm not a mechanic, nor an autobody technician. I have faith that Sumaru's carried out my instructions regarding what I wanted done, but it will be interesting to know whether I was swindled or not. On that note, has anyone here ever been swindled by Sumaru's (Reggie)? Or can attest to their good and honest work?
    Last edited by cmx378; 06-29-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmx378 View Post
    Thanks for the picture comparison. Judging from the similar picture angles, the top picture is of your AE86?

Could you please point out what we're supposed to be looking at exactly? I see two black AE86 rear quarter panels. Both have obviously been repainted. It is extremely difficult to know--for a fact--which has "pounds" of bondo on them and which does not. Does a new paint job = pounds of bondo? In my opinion, both quarter panels do not exhibit any visible signs of bondo.

Additionally, the original mileage for the car is 182,610 KMs and it's never been winter driven since I've owned it (2003). Logically, we could infer there was very little rust to take care of in the first place, which then leads to the inference that it's not unreasonable to believe the car doesn't exhibit the amount of bondo you claim it has.

When I had my car repainted, I instructed Sumaru's (when Reggie owned it) to cut out any rusted holes and weld new metal in because I didn't want bondo, I wanted it done "the right way." Therefore, if you can provide what's seemingly an expert opinion on what I should be looking out for, that would be appreciated. I'm not a mechanic, nor an autobody technician. I have faith that Sumaru's carried out my instructions regarding what I wanted done, but it will be interesting to know whether I was swindled or not. On that note, has anyone here ever been swindled by Sumaru's (Reggie)? Or can attest to their good and honest work?

It's a pretty obvious difference. Look at the sharpness of the edges on the flare of the top picture.

Now look at the same part on the bottom picture. See how it's bubbly and rounded on yours? That's body filler. Take a magnet and run it over that spot. It would probably have troubles sticking to the metal.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon G View Post
    It's a pretty obvious difference. Look at the sharpness of the edges on the flare of the top picture.

Now look at the same part on the bottom picture. See how it's bubbly and rounded on yours? That's body filler. Take a magnet and run it over that spot. It would probably have troubles sticking to the metal.
    Hi Brandon. Thanks for pointing out what I should look out for in the comparison picture, as well as for the suggested "magnet test." Following your advice, I placed magnets all along the fender flares and I had no issues with them sticking to any of the areas. Also, now that you've mentioned the fender flares seeming as though they're "bubbly and rounded," there's actually a reason for that--I had them all rolled in order to fit my 15x8 WORK Meister S1 Wheels--they would rub and scrape the fenders because they were quite wide. The following is a picture of the exact type/model of wheels I have (which are being sold separately with Falken Azenis tires, so if anyone is interested in purchasing them, please PM me):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WORK Meister 1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	768.6 KB 
ID:	15523

If anyone is interested in reading/viewing the article where I obtained this image from or to see how these WORK Meisters look on a black AE86, here is the link:

http://www.stancenation.com/2010/12/...e-island-life/

Having provided this additional information, are there any further scepticisms regarding the "pounds of bondo" on my car?

Please don't compare an aftermarket, widebody fiberglass front fender to the OEM stamped steel quarter panel.

The points of reference that are most obvious, beyond a simple fender rolling, is the filler reaches out to the natural dimple in the body line. For reference purposes, starting at the bottom of the taillight, follow your eyes along the body line, that runs along the side of the car. Draw your eye from the bottom section of the taillight, along the body line, towards the wheel arch. You'll notice on the upper reference photo, the body line stops for a moment, then the wheel arch begins. On your car the two are blended together, with no visible break between the two. This blend is not OEM. Additionally, the inner fender metal, would prevent the body shop from rolling that deep into the fender. That is all body filler.

This blend, exists both on the fore and aft meeting with this body line on either side of the flare. Neither side of the flare should blend into the body line, both should have a small separation, or pause before the body line starts.

Here's a few more examples, if you're having trouble seeing the black. I'm hoping your body guy and optometrist are not one in the same. After owning 13 AE86's in both Ontario and BC, I feel I can make a good judgement when I see massively bondo'd quarter panels. I'm even more worried what's hidden under the skirts. I can't tell from the photos, but an amazing sign you got hussled at the body shop, is if the skirts were painted while installed on the car.

Good luck, with your sale.

SpeedHero

penis.

Also, 1987 originally had moulding there, so there is some amount somewhere there that has bondo on it one way or another. The lines don't look right at the edges to me either, just saying. Not saying it looks horrible, but something does look a little off.

Please don't compare an aftermarket, widebody fiberglass front fender to the OEM stamped steel quarter panel.

The points of reference that are most obvious, beyond a simple fender rolling, is the filler reaches out to the natural dimple in the body line. For reference purposes, starting at the bottom of the taillight, follow your eyes along the body line, that runs along the side of the car. Draw your eye from the bottom section of the taillight, along the body line, towards the wheel arch. You'll notice on the upper reference photo, the body line stops for a moment, then the wheel arch begins. On your car the two are blended together, with no visible break between the two. This blend is not OEM. Additionally, the inner fender metal, would prevent the body shop from rolling that deep into the fender. That is all body filler.

This blend, exists both on the fore and aft meeting with this body line on either side of the flare. Neither side of the flare should blend into the body line, both should have a small separation, or pause before the body line starts.

Here's a few more examples, if you're having trouble seeing the black. I'm hoping your body guy and optometrist are not one in the same. After owning 13 AE86's in both Ontario and BC, I feel I can make a good judgement when I see massively bondo'd quarter panels. I'm even more worried what's hidden under the skirts. I can't tell from the photos, but an amazing sign you got hussled at the body shop, is if the skirts were painted while installed on the car.

Good luck, with your sale.
    First, I hope everyone enjoyed their Canada Day long weekend and celebrations.

Second, no comparison was made between an aftermarket, widebody fiberglass front fender to the OEM stamped steel quarter panel.

Third, with the additional context and pictures, I can now see what you’re referring to and I agree there doesn’t seem to be a pause or separation in the rear quarters as mentioned, thus the rear quarters seem to have been altered. As I have only owned two AE86s compared to your 13 AE86s, this subtle difference was not noticeable to me until it was pointed out. Although I have owed the car since 2003, I have not driven it much to warrant calling it my “daily driver.” It was not a “pretty obvious difference” due to the color of the black cars and the quality of the initial comparison pictures. Also, the “magnet test” is not a reliable test.

Fourth, whether you’re an autobody specialist or not (or an experienced AE86 owner), you’re entitled to your opinion and beliefs—as am I—and so, I have reservations about your judgement regarding the amount of bondo which may or may not have been used, “massively” or not. You may probably be correct, but until you’re able to physically examine the car, you cannot be certain. To analogize, doctors physically examine their patients as a prerequisite to properly conclude upon a diagnosis. Although they may even be able to make good judgements from simply viewing a patient (or picture), they ought to confirm their suspicions through further testing or inspection before reaching a conclusion.

Fifth, I placed great effort in providing as much information and detail into my sale listing. If I were attempting to pass off a “massively bondo’d” car to an unsuspecting DK member, I would not have exerted this much effort. Furthermore, for the price I’m asking, I do not expect to sell this car to an individual who would not take the time, effort, or money, to inspect it thoroughly. If there are any issues that arise, which I have not mentioned, during such an inspection then I am willing to negotiate on pricing if they are still interested in purchasing.

Last, although I appreciate the “education” regarding the AE86’s rear quarter panel body lines, I did not appreciate the blindside comment of:

“Sooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucch bondooooooooooooooooooooooooo.”

This comment served no clear purpose other than to damage the integrity of my listing. I am more than willing to discuss the details of my vehicle to the best of my knowledge—as I have demonstrated—you need only ask. Even if your opinion remains unchanged, if you would have begun your comments in the reverse order (premise before conclusion), it would have made all the difference. If you sincerely do wish me luck on my sale, then I sincerely appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Also, 1987 originally had moulding there, so there is some amount somewhere there that has bondo on it one way or another. The lines don't look right at the edges to me either, just saying. Not saying it looks horrible, but something does look a little off.
    Yes, I believe you're correct. However, I also believe the moulding was removed in order to roll the fenders and after rolling the fenders, the moulding was no longer used.

Yes, but if there are no bolt holes, it means they were filled in somewhat as the moulding is bolted on.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Yes, but if there are no bolt holes, it means they were filled in somewhat as the moulding is bolted on.
    Hmm...perhaps. But, just to clarify, where on the rear quarters are you referencing that the bolt holes should be for this moulding?