Thread: 3TC N/A street monster

3TC N/A street monster

I guys I'm new to this forum. I'm 16 years old and have a 1981 Toyota corolla te72 with a 3TC engine and a 3 speed automatic transmission that I'm currently restoring. Right now I'm doing the body work and some structural repairs. I want to make this corolla into a N/A street monster. I was wondering if you guys can help me out by telling me what type of upgrades I need in order to increase my Hp and Torque. This corolla is going to be a daily since I will be driving to school and work. I just want to beat some Hondas and Integras since they think corollas are slow.

All the information is appreciated.

Keep going with the repairs, then put money into suspension, brakes and tires. Honestly a 3tc and automatic IS a slow car and impossible to blow the doors off a newer car because it has half the power. Make it handle well and enjoy the slowness, and save your money for later. Swap a manual transmission into it if you do anything, that'll increase the fun factor.

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    Keep going with the repairs, then put money into suspension, brakes and tires. Honestly a 3tc and automatic IS a slow car and impossible to blow the doors off a newer car because it has half the power. Make it handle well and enjoy the slowness, and save your money for later. Swap a manual transmission into it if you do anything, that'll increase the fun factor.
    Thanks

I've had 4 of them and currently have 2.

I wouldn't advise trying to beat any car in a Corolla lol. But I mean hey, if you wanna go faster than stock, I'd first suggest ditching the auto trans. From there, get a better carb, bigger cam, maybe an upgraded ignition system? and most of all, better ring gear and smaller wheels. You probably have slim pickings with the stock 6.3" rear end, but if you are lucky enough to find a 6.7" from a GTS and go with say a 4.77 or higher, you'll find that it livens up the acceleration ability of the car quite substantially.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

3TC isn't the greatest option for power. In general Corollas are not performance cars, not even the AE86. Rather they're fun cars to attempt performance at. lol If high power is your goal, major modifications are in order, either changing to a different engine, or heavily reworking the internals and induction of your currently 3TC.

A good goal, is to just get the car well maintained and repair the 40+ years of damage to the vehicle. Find some direction on what you wish to achieve with the vehicle and focus any future upgrades on that.
    SpeedHero

penis.

Thanks for the information guys. I was wondering if a W transmission would fit a 3TC.

Not without an adapter from somewhere such as BRD or whoever else makes them. The W series will fit in the tunnel though.

whats a good transmission to put in a 3TC

Not without an adapter from somewhere such as BRD or whoever else makes them. The W series will fit in the tunnel though.
    whats is a good transmission for a 3TC

T50 will be fine and fit your budget best until you're ready to slay some dragons.

T50 will be fine and fit your budget best until you're ready to slay some dragons.
    Thanks for the help and information

Just keep working on it at your own pace, there are a ton of guys here who started out with a car like yours who eventually get their car to where they want it, biggest thing is have fun with it.