Thread: WTB: Stuff for ae86 manual steering conversion (U-joint, supra shaft etc)

WTB: Stuff for ae86 manual steering conversion (U-joint, supra shaft etc)

Hi, I have sourced a AW11 manual rack (thanks Josiah if you're reading this) and want to put it in my GT-S to replace the (looped) PS rack i currently have.

I believe this is what I need for the swap, but PLEASE correct me if I am wrong:

1. Mk3 intermediate shaft
    2. Manual rack/AW11 U-joint... or one from one of the many other old toyotas that also have this joint, apparently.
    3. T3 manual conversion rack bushing
    4. Whatever else I may need, if anything?

I'm fully aware that items 1 and 3 are readily available from T3 but i am hoping to avoid getting gouged by USD conversion/shipping!

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

Hey Adrian, your going to have to buy the T3 stuff. Not many peeps will have stuff laying around, but it never hurts to check that's for sure. The shaft is super tough to find in the "Wild" and also, when you do find it, without a bench vice its near impossible to get out of the steering column.
    Id buy yourself new tie rods while you have everything out, and while you're at it might as well add new ball joints too.
    For the u-joint, contact this ebay seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-M...kAAOSw1blZoTiW
    He doesn't seem to have one listed right now, but I'm sure he has one in his garage. I think he will want $40 for them. He ships super fast and is a great guy to deal with.

If you do end up replacing your tie rods, let me know. I have some new ones I could sell you and save you a few bucks! Depending on if you need the short ones or the long ones.
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Quote Originally Posted by projectae86 View Post
    Hey Adrian, your going to have to buy the T3 stuff. Not many peeps will have stuff laying around, but it never hurts to check that's for sure. The shaft is super tough to find in the "Wild" and also, when you do find it, without a bench vice its near impossible to get out of the steering column.
    Id buy yourself new tie rods while you have everything out, and while you're at it might as well add new ball joints too.
    For the u-joint, contact this ebay seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-M...kAAOSw1blZoTiW
    He doesn't seem to have one listed right now, but I'm sure he has one in his garage. I think he will want $40 for them. He ships super fast and is a great guy to deal with.

If you do end up replacing your tie rods, let me know. I have some new ones I could sell you and save you a few bucks! Depending on if you need the short ones or the long ones.
    thanks for the tip(s) matt! i will definitely contact that guy about the u-joint. from what i'm reading, that part is 150+ USD from toyota, that is if it's still even available. nuts!

i need to buy some other stuff from t3 in the near future as well so i'll probably end up just biting the bullet but i figured i'd ask anyway...

also, i'll let ya know about the tie rods

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

There is someone in BC that makes them. I'm so sorry, I forget your name on here... But his name is Brock. It's a lot better than shipping it from the US and it helps locals out. I know he had a thread on here somewhere, but if you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you his email.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    There is someone in BC that makes them. I'm so sorry, I forget your name on here... But his name is Brock. It's a lot better than shipping it from the US and it helps locals out. I know he had a thread on here somewhere, but if you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you his email.
    Dang! I already took Matt's advice and ordered the U-joint as well as the mr2 manual rack intermediate shaft off the guy in the UK... thanks
    anyways though!

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

Brock R from the island? I don't recall him ever making anything but brass T50 shifter bushings.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Ya, I think that is him. He has a post on here and it fit awesome in my car. I think after shipping it was less in CAD than the shipping alone was going to be in USD. And this is the bushing, not the U joint or shaft, so the part you were going to order from T3.

Ya, I think that is him. He has a post on here and it fit awesome in my car. I think after shipping it was less in CAD than the shipping alone was going to be in USD. And this is the bushing, not the U joint or shaft, so the part you were going to order from T3.
    Good to know, thanks. I just messaged him.

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR