Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Indepedant Conversion

Rear Indepedant Conversion

Hi I have a 1981 toyota corolla 4 door with a 3tc. I wanted to know what type of rear axles can you swap into so you get better acceleration and gearing. I was wondering if anyone has put a lexus is300 rear axle into a te72.

Thanks- Ifraz

There is a guy in the Portland area who has a ?Carina? maybe...? It might be a corolla... with IRS. Honestly though, it's a lot of work, and there is probably plenty of other modifications that can be done to get the car handling and accelerating the way you want it without going irs.

Look into GTS rear ends with a 4.3, or a rear end out of an automatic e7 with the 4.1 (manuals came with a 3.9)

There is lots that can be done to a 3tc to make better power too. The suspension on these cars is very similar to ae86, so lots of aftermarket support there to make the car handle. I have an '81 Hardtop with lots of work put into it. I love the way it drives.
    ---------------------------------
    End.

Just trade your car for a Celica GT-S (RA64/5) they came independent in the rear. In Japan these models were equipped with a 4AGE. So it's not far off owning an IRS Corolla, but far less work.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

This takes a significant amount of work.

http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...ion-Conversion
    Josh Danish is a Scammer

Thanks for the information guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    Just trade your car for a Celica GT-S (RA64/5) they came independent in the rear. In Japan these models were equipped with a 4AGE. So it's not far off owning an IRS Corolla, but far less work.
    A61, 63 and 65 are IRS.
    A60, 62 and 64 are Solid Axle.

RA64 is the ST/GT Celica, RA65 is the Celica GT-S with IRS.

In Japan the AA63 is the Celica with the 4A-GE and IRS. Cool stuff.

In Hatchback:

or Coupe form:

Of course, one would maybe consider a TA61, RA63 if going that direction....

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Lange; 11-21-2017 at 09:17 PM.

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Thanks very much. I really ant to put a 2001 lexus is300 rear end. Since it is independent and you can can turn the traction off in it.

Lol wut?

I think you need to do some research on how traction control works. And take a good hard look at your general car knowledge to think about your chances of success. Your welding and fabrication skills have to be quite high for an operation like this. Have you compared track widths of these rear ends? It will not fit under the car.

Not trying to be a dick, just don't want to see another car get maimed, and a disappointed owner.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Thanks for the info I figured it out yesterday when i was doing my research.

If you take your time and read up on some of the articles on DK, you'll learn a lot and ultimately learn how make your car better. First thing you need to do is have a plan...what's your objective? Do you want it to look pretty and be gutless / look like a turd but go fast / break down every weekend and be the slowest car in town / look good and handle properly...you need to decide what you want the car to do, and take into account how much money and skill you have.

I want to make the car look good and go fast. Thats why I'm planning on building a 2jz gte vvti engine with a single turbo conversion using a nice borgwarner turbo. I want the car to handle really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrazali1 View Post
    I want to make the car look good and go fast. Thats why I'm planning on building a 2jz gte vvti engine with a single turbo conversion using a nice borgwarner turbo. I want the car to handle really well.
    Well if you want it to handle really well, you are off to a bad start with that plan.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

So your plan so far is going to cost uoward of $25K.

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    So your plan so far is going to cost uoward of $25K.
    Yes. I already have it planned out. But for know I just want to drive the car stock. I still have to choose a rear end for the car.

Alrighty then.

Enjoy the car for what it is, do some handling mods, put some good tires on it and LEARN what the machine can do. Then start worrying about making it ridiculous.

ummmm.... no . to everything, just leave the e7 alone....there's no need to cross breed it with a supra.
    My Blog CarJunkies

Haven't been on here a while, had a good laugh I'm glad I checked what was going on
    Half the things you say contradict themselves almost immediately its pretty funny
    Trac control has nothing to do with your IRS swap unless you plan to pull the whole ABS system from the is300 too for whatever possible reason.
    The 2jz is going to make your weight ratio about 60% front so I hope you have some plans to shift a ton of that weight to the back otherwise you are building a drag car.
    I hope you have either lots money or lots of experience doing your own engine swaps, wiring, suspension geometry, fabricating, welding and performance driving because you are jumping into the deep end and nobody here thinks you can swim.

I can tell you that there aren't any write ups that will help walk you through this as I am doing a similar build to your pipe dream (1jz vvti, cd009, 7.5" solid rear)
    This is after years of experience in all of the fields I have listed and the resources to do it properly.

I recommend starting with a different base than the e7 for a fast car but if you're committed to it id recommend doing your basics like make sure all of your suspension parts are good and tight, maybe change some of your components to 86 ones for better aftermarket support.
    Then getting some good shocks and springs, koni and swift if you want to go custom fronts or something like fortune auto if you want full coilovers
    Then some good tires like re-11, rs3, z2, rivals, re72r etc. don't overkill the tire size and end up cutting at the sidewall with your fenders as they are plenty sticky
    Brakes, idk if the calipers are the same as the ae86 but some HP+ pads all around will give you a good bang for buck, big brake kits aren't really necessary
    You will be amazed at the difference that will make and it's a good start in building your skill, familiarity with the car and getting ready for some seat time and then finally you can start looking at more power

Lastly the solid rear axle is quite grippy when the geometry isn't all screwed up and you aren't running on old greasy tires and blown suspension. Do the mods I listed, tune in your suspension and I guarantee you won't feel the need to go IRS
    "I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better and continue to do so."

I agree with slippy

step one: fabricate a really nice 6 point roll cage, if that turns out and seems very easy then continue.

it's hard work, it's very skilled work, and it's expensive (even just for the tools required).

go for it if you're up for it, but don't make your first move cutting up the corolla.
    My Blog CarJunkies

He already has the best motor Toyota has ever made from a cost to performance standpoint. Nobody ever sees it though because its so underwhelming stock. Hell even just straight performance they are an extremely stout motor.

3TC can do 200HP NA and rev to 8-9k and they sound like the world is coming apart at the seams due to all the mechanical noise. It't about as sweet a sound as you can hear, and the parts are dirt cheap compared to ANY other Toyota motor.

Or you can do 400HP turbo without breaking a sweat with $1500ishCAD Eagle rods and whatever cheap forged pistons you can find. Cobble together a turbo kit. Again, stupid cheap comparatively.

Neither of those options will adversely mess up the chassis or have you make compromises with suspension to make a 1j fit.

And the best part is its all done with tractor clearances, it's a motor that is so easy to work on.

Leave the chassis alone, put good tires on it and Koni's with good 6/4 springs and ****ing drive it till you wrap it around a pole. If you wanna shorten a ford 8.8 and jam it under there I can't blame you for that.. 6.7 stuff is so expensive now its probably cheaper to do, but its a ton of unsprung weight that will have some negative effect on handling.

But judging solely by the questions and lack of understanding this car will be massacred and for sale soon at an outrageous price we can all have a chuckle at.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?