Thread: Serendipity's comprehensive AE86 J160 swap

Serendipity's comprehensive AE86 J160 swap

My AE86 started as an automatic SR5. The first project my dad and I did together, aside from the basic maintenance stuff, was converting her to a five speed T50. Here's our project on that:

http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...6-5-speed-swap

So my current setup is:
    -OEM 20V Blacktop
    -OEM Redtop AE92 flywheel and clutch (6.9kg)
    -Weir Performance 4.778 Ring and Pinion
    -Zenki 2 Way TRD Limited Slip Transmission
    -T50 5 speed transmission
    -Team M factory taller 5th gear, second generation (.737)
    -TRD short shifter
    -Redline MT-90 gear oil
    -Fully rebuilt OEM driveshaft with serviceable ujoints

The T50 was a huge upgrade from the "3 speed" auto. I say "3 speed" because when I bought the car, the overdrive solenoid wasn't engaging. After spending some time with the T50, it seems that:

-it was originally a 70's 4 speed that TOYOTA simply added a 5th gear to. Poor engineering.
    -the gearing is completely mismatched to what a 4age with it's narrow torque band needs. Poor engineering
    -one of the two TRD close ratio kits that could fix this mismatched gearing is discontinued and the other, which in my humble opinion is inferior to the first, is far too expensive. Boo earns.
    -taller 5th gears are available, but are not under regular production. With a 4.78 ring & pinion, highway RPM is at around 4175RPM @110km/hr. Something to consider.
    -they don't handle torque well. I lost track of how many the local drift guys went trough each season. Sucks to be you.
    -finding a rebuild kit was near impossible until a fellow DK member put together a full rebuild kit including the discontinued caged needle bearings he had custom made to compete the set. Good on ya, mate.
    -although parts are getting harder to find, it's a relatively easy transmission to work on. Not bad at all.

So all in all, you'll keep your T50 if you want a period correct TOYOTA or if you're still saving up for the most logical upgrade, a J160 6 speed from an 98'-05' Altezza.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 12-31-2017 at 06:56 AM.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Project duration: October 2017 to present

Thanks Dad for your contribution, supervision and patience.

Thanks to those who helped me find information or parts:

Warren
    Oldeskewltoy
    666 (Derek)

Services & Parts Rendered:
    Bullfrog Transmission: Servicing the transmission
    Streeter Corporation: Overnight Parts from Japan
    SQ Engineering: Necessary swap parts
    PartSouq: OEM TOYOTA parts
    Regency TOYOTA: OEM TOYOTA parts

PARTS LISZT:

Transmission:
    J160S 6 speed from a 1998-2005 Toyota Altezza

Transmission Internals Needed:
    Input shaft seal, OEM: 90311-29001
    Shifter seal, OEM: 90311-18002
    Output shaft seal, OEM: 90311-38140

SQ Engineering parts:
    -J160S adapter kit
    -J160 shifter relocation kit
    -J160 transmission crossmember
    -J160 mechanical speedometer
    -SQ flywheel locking tool

Flywheel & clutch:
    TODA kits for 16V (3.7kg flywheel):
    http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...eel/4ag-1.html

TODA kits for 20V (4.4kg flywheel):
    http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...eel/4ag-2.html

Begin information quoted from SQ Engineering
    Friction disk options
    Clutch industries: R7895W

Heavy duty pressure plate options
    Clutch industries: RPM800 - 600N

Compatible clutch part numbers – 212 / 215mm
    Friction disk options

-Exedy: TYD034U
    -Pressure plate option 1- Heavy duty
    Exedy: TYC549HD - Rating: 490kg clamping force
    -Pressure plate option 2- Extra heavy duty
    Exedy: TYC613HD - Rating: 680kg clamping force
    End of quoted information

Starter
    -Rebuilt 4AG 16V GTS starter

Hydraulic System:

Mounting Parts & Hardware:

Shifter & Related:

Gear Oil:
    Redline MT-90 (1.95L)

Driveline:
    Last edited by Serendipity; 01-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.

I'm excited for this post. I dream of such a swap.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

I ran the j160 in my Levin for about a season and it did really well in certain aspects but also had its issues.

Good:

3rd to 4th was really close which kept me in the powerband for larger tracks

Gears felt realitively well spaced out with the stock 4.3 final drive of the corolla

6 speed, more gear selection, fun down shifts and heel toes.

Bad:

The 6th on the j160 was shorter than the stock 5th in the t50, ended up revving even more on the highways just to keep up with traffic.

The j160 felt like glass still and shifting would get notchy, I noticed this in the altezza as well.

2nd to 3rd was awkwardly tall for the ae86 and for certain tracks like mission raceway, I'd much prefer a t50 with a 4.3 or 4.7.

Fabrication of my j160 was done by AMT machine shop. Hope to see a well written and detailed write up as always! I would do this swap again, but with a 4.778 final drive and just crawl it to the track.

Comparison between the J160 and the T50

-Comparison between gear ratios of both (include TRD kit possibility)

You could also get a nearly bulletproof from Quaife, but it would cost you around 7000 British Pounds for the transmission without bell housing or crossmember.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 12-31-2017 at 06:05 AM.

I did a couple months of research, finding out what I would need to do the swap as painless as possible. The majority of the parts needed are made by SQ Engineering in Australia. Sam is super cool to deal with and always gets back to you promptly. I also think it's better to get the majority of parts from one place.

But before I got the SQ parts, I needed to find a J160. I contacted Jesse Streeter, and he helped me source one. It arrived in lighting fast time from Yahoo Japan for 37,000. THESE ARE THE BEFORE PICTURES:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	471.9 KB 
ID:	15590Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	15591Click image for larger version. 

Views:	7 
Size:	457.2 KB 
ID:	15592Click image for larger version. 

Views:	10 
Size:	443.6 KB 
ID:	15593

We sent it to Bullfrog Transmission, because they've been doing great work on my Transmission and Differential projects since I bought my Corolla in 2010. To my surprise, the internals were in perfect shape. All they recommended was a set of new seals and we could reassemble the Transmission. Derek told me to check out PartSouq.com and it proved a perfect choice. OEM catalogues and super quick shipping by FedEx. I got the seals in less than a week from when I placed my order.

With transmission in hand, I placed an order for the necessary items from SQ. They should arrive after Christmas:
    Last edited by Serendipity; 01-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.

if you had the transmission apart, you should have sourced out a taller 6th gear for the J160. One from the S15 Silvia comes to mind, as it appears to have the tallest 6th gear of the AZ6 transmission variants.
    Team おなに

Motor Village Crew unite!

Quote Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
    if you had the transmission apart, you should have sourced out a taller 6th gear for the J160. One from the S15 Silvia comes to mind, as it appears to have the tallest 6th gear of the AZ6 transmission variants.
    That's indeed a great idea, but I'm one step ahead of you. Oldeskewltoy from Club4AG helped me find the part numbers for the Nissan S15 6th gear and counter gear. I'm in touch with a couple companies who can source me with gears, http://jp-carparts.com/ being one of them for about 17,000. They are actually rediculously cheap brand new from Nissan and still currently available. I might go that way too.

Justin, the transmission is actually still apart, but before Bullfrog puts it back together, they've asked if I can find them an FSM for the SXE10. It's a reasonable request as the J160 never existed in North America. If anyone has diagrams from the FSM or one in its entirety, please let me know. It would help a great help.

I would grab the FSM from Lexus Europe TechDoc (or other source) from an IS200 (GXE10). It uses the J160 and the manual will be available in English.

Alternatively the 86/FR-S TL70 is very similar, but since the manual exists, might as well use the exact one.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Lange; 01-13-2018 at 06:50 PM.

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    That's indeed a great idea, but I'm one step ahead of you. Oldeskewltoy from Club4AG helped me find the part numbers for the Nissan S15 6th gear and counter gear. I'm in touch with a couple companies who can source me with gears, http://jp-carparts.com/ being one of them for about 17,000. They are actually rediculously cheap brand new from Nissan and still currently available. I might go that way too.

Justin, the transmission is actually still apart, but before Bullfrog puts it back together, they've asked if I can find them an FSM for the SXE10. It's a reasonable request as the J160 never existed in North America. If anyone has diagrams from the FSM or one in its entirety, please let me know. It would help a great help.
    so glad to hear you're already piecing together the "ultimate 6spd"! excited to hear your results when it all comes together.
    Team おなに

Motor Village Crew unite!

Love your build threads Adrian. Looking forward to how this one turns out. What do you think the end cost will be? or I guess a better question is what did you budget for this and have you stayed on budget so far?
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
    I would grab the FSM from Lexus Europe TechDoc (or other source) from an IS200 (GXE10). It uses the J160 and the manual will be available in English.

Alternatively the 86/FR-S TL70 is very similar, but since the manual exists, might as well use the exact one.

Jeff
    Thanks, Jeff. I've ordered a J160 manual from Japan. It'll probably be in Japanese, but at least all the torque specs and clearances will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by projectae86 View Post
    Love your build threads Adrian. Looking forward to how this one turns out. What do you think the end cost will be? or I guess a better question is what did you budget for this and have you stayed on budget so far?
    Thanks, Matt. Your question is hard to answer, but I'll try. I definitely have a monthly budget for car parts, but I've never had a budget for car projects. I have an idea in my mind of what I want the end result to be, and I think about each piece asking the question, "can this be refinished or upgraded?" If the answer is "yes", then I do what I have to. The more steps I need, the longer the project takes. If this sounds strange to you, ask yourself "how many cars do I have/have I had in the last decade?" I've had only this Corolla. I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Thanks, Jeff. I've ordered a J160 manual from Japan. It'll probably be in Japanese, but at least all the torque specs and clearances will be available.
    Okay, lol, but if you do want the manual in English, it's on that website.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged