Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fenco Calipers...

Fenco Calipers...

I've just recently replaced both my rear calipers with fenco ones + new rotors and brake pads. Thing is now, it makes this god-awful noise when i lightly apply the brakes. I literally have to mash down on the brakes and lock them up to make the sound go away. I've tried several things to get that noise gone but with no results (re-lubed everything, purchased a hardware kit [brake pad shims, etc.]). Could it be the pads? Are the calipers crap? Are the calipers even working? Anyone who's had problems with fenco calipers please tell me what went wrong with yours, maybe i have the same problem with mine. Also, it seems like my brakes are dragging, acceleration is poor, seems like i'm towing a car, thats kinda why i figure it might be the caliper, but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by cmx378
    I've just recently replaced both my rear calipers with fenco ones + new rotors and brake pads. Thing is now, it makes this god-awful noise when i lightly apply the brakes. I literally have to mash down on the brakes and lock them up to make the sound go away. I've tried several things to get that noise gone but with no results (re-lubed everything, purchased a hardware kit [brake pad shims, etc.]). Could it be the pads? Are the calipers crap? Are the calipers even working? Anyone who's had problems with fenco calipers please tell me what went wrong with yours, maybe i have the same problem with mine. Also, it seems like my brakes are dragging, acceleration is poor, seems like i'm towing a car, thats kinda why i figure it might be the caliper, but who knows...
    What kind of brake pads? Metallic?

My bet is that the brake pedal needs to be adjusted, to reduce the pressure its putting on the system. I had this problem when I put in my brakes, and I *believe* the mechanic I took it to fixed it by adjusting the pedal/master connection.

15psi + 200hp + 2400lbs = GOOD!

yeah i had metalic pads and they make alot of noise when not being used hard. so it was kinda gay for daily driving.
    Mat 83 corolla gts

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    fenco calipers are the absolute worst calipers in the world...
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Not too sure if I bought Fenco calipers, but I'm using KVR carbon kevlar pads and there's a constant dragging sound from the brakes. At first it was really bad but after about 1500km, it quiet down. I was thinking because 3 out of 4 calipers don't have any shims/clips on them. And I think my mileage really suffers from the dragging, I barely get 330KM/tank on the highway.

Do you know where I can buy the brake hardware kit? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Okay
    Do you know where I can buy the brake hardware kit? Thanks.
    Uh, how about the dealer?

FWIW, I hope you guys put rotors in when you did the pads. If not, I'd start with new rotors before going any further in diagnosing the brake noises.
    - Brian

How much did you pay? also, can you guys recommend some good brake pads? Im in the same boat, replacing my calipers.

Johnny
    AE86 BNR32
    When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman.
    After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in awhile he would eat one of us.
    It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by narfy
    fenco calipers are the absolute worst calipers in the world...
    Yup. What he said. I won't put them onto cars anymore. Too many bad experiences. 9/10 calipers from Fenco were junk. Leaked, no handbrake, no handbrake, leaked, no handbrake, etc.

I'd use a genuine overhaul kit instead. If you can't overhaul your own calipers, send them to me, I'll take care of it for you.

For street driving, I like genuine pads. Otherwise, PBR metalmasters are good. Brembo makes the best aftermarket rotors, they're pretty much the same quality as the genuine parts.
    - Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Yup. What he said. I won't put them onto cars anymore. Too many bad experiences. 9/10 calipers from Fenco were junk. Leaked, no handbrake, no handbrake, leaked, no handbrake, etc.

I'd use a genuine overhaul kit instead. If you can't overhaul your own calipers, send them to me, I'll take care of it for you.

For street driving, I like genuine pads. Otherwise, PBR metalmasters are good. Brembo makes the best aftermarket rotors, they're pretty much the same quality as the genuine parts.
    I have heard nothing but BAD things about these Fenco calipers. I have them in the front of my car and they seem to be fine. Its the rears I hear all the bad stories about so I dont think I will ever buy them.
    Thanks for all the information guys
    Greg

As for the hardware kit, i didn't have to pay for them. The guys who did my brakes said that if the kit didn't work, then he'd bite the bullet for them. BUT i think he said it was about $25 -$30 CAD. Don't know where he got it from though, but the dealership should carry them. So as for the noise, i'll try adjusting the pedal and if that doesn't work then i guess i have to try new pads...any recommendations? Keep in mind, i've already felt like i've spent a million dollars on the brakes alone, but am so frustrated about the noise that i'll pay for what i get.

oh yea, for got mention what kind of pads...well they're semi-metallic, i think the brand were "Bendix", and brian i did replace the rotors.

if i were u i wouldve had my rear brake/front brake caliper rebuilt with toyota rebuild kits, put in stock pads and the anti-squeal shims.... thats what i got done and now my brakes are awesome... anyhooz im kinda drunk right now yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by cmx378
    oh yea, for got mention what kind of pads...well they're semi-metallic, i think the brand were "Bendix", and brian i did replace the rotors.

uh-oh. you got one of those hard to find noises. I don't have a sure-shot solution here, cuz it sounds like you've done everything "by the book" other than the reman caliper and aftermarket pads.

here's the scoop: rear brakes can be noisy sometimes, making that squeeeak noise, even with all new parts. When you got a noise like that, sometimes the shape of the pad can be modified to reduce the noise. Your brake technician can try slotting the pad's friction surface with a 2mm wide slot down the middle of each pad, so that you end up with "4 mini-pads" per side of the car. If it's done properly, all 4 "mini-pads" will be slightly different size and shape. Another trick is to file the leading or trailing edge of the pad at a 45 degree angle.

This will change the size and shape of one of the noise generators in your brake system, and hopefully will reduce your noise, or change the frequency of the noise generation so that it doesn't resonate as loudly.

hope that helps. happy holidays.
    - Brian

To say that OEM are good and Fenco are bad is contradictory.

Fenco ARE OEM calipers, just rebuilt.

It's the quality or lack of quality that the monkeys at Fenco are rebuilding their calipers.

Agreed, I have had problems with their rebuilt calipers, but the majority of them work fine. (if 100% of their rebuilt calipers had problems, don't you think they'd be out of business ?)

Fenco, and other caliper suppliers, purchase used calipers from auto wreckers around the world. They "occasionally" diassemble them, slap new piston seals and dust boots on them, and then spray paint them.

The problem is that since they are mass produced, since they are used to begin with, often small clips, pins, springs are missing, and the monkey's don't spot it/don't care.
    Also I've often found sand from the blasters inside the piston bores behind the pistons, which indicates pretty poor quality control. Lesson when using rebuild calipers ? Pull them apart and clean them up first to ensure they are assembled correctly.

The other option - just rebuild your caliper yourself. Most front slider calipers are bone-simple, and have a single seal, and a dust boot.

However, for the price of some domestic front calipers, it's not worth my labour to rebuild them. (when a caliper can cost less than $20, it's far more economical to slap in rebuilt calipers and send the core back)

It's rear calipers which have more complicated e-brake assemblies within, that are harder to rebuild, and sometimes not worth attempting.

I will however NEVER sell a rebuilt aluminum caliper. There is way too many risks with selling a used solid mount aluminum caliper that was likely in an accident. (fatigue, cracks) not to mention stripped threads. We have found that by the time we strip them apart, degrease them, bead blast and re paint/powder coat them with an OEM rebuild kit.... you're 75% of the way to a brand new made in Japan factory caliper with full warranty.

PDM

extremely informative don...

i've had just plain bad and worse luck with fenco crap... i'd buy other brands of re-man calipers but not fenco...
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Lotek Racing Guest
    When I had my '76 Corona the only pads that wouldn't squeal were dealer pads.

One thing I have found is that a lot of these "long-life" brake pads are actually too hard and will wear the rotor out faster than OEM pads because the compound tends to be more aggressive.

The OEM stuff is matched and designed to work together, I use genuine parts in my brake systems now no matter what.

My wife's 1996 Ford F-150 XLT went 120,000 km's on its original pads and rotors and the factory battery is still in there.

I would try going back to the Toyota pads to see if the noise goes away, pads are cheap enough and at worst you will just end up with an extra set of pads.

The Carbon Kevlar pads are high-performance and will be more prone to brake noise.

Good luck.

Shawn

Just out of morbid curiosity Narfy, how much would new OEM rear Toyota calipers be?

expensive enough to make you sh!t yourself...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Alright, pony up and make me my pants... How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Panda86
    Alright, pony up and make me my pants... How much?
    $573.30 each
    fng@regencyauto.com