PDA

View Full Version : Update on GZE Problems

ericlee303
03-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey guys,

You probably remember my last thread about how my GZE started to suddenly ping loudly.

Here's what I've checked so far in trying to determine the problem:

- removed plugs, plugs pistons look good
- removed cam covers, everything looks in place (cams, springs, shims) and undamaged
- SC is fine
- cam sensor is fine (removed it and re-tested)

I'm 99% sure the noise is coming from the head. I've stethiscoped (sp) it with a screwdriver.

Here's the weird part : I started the car up yesterday and all of a sudden...the noise disappeared!! The car ran fine for about 10 minutes before the noise came back again!

Before the noise came back, the motor made some slight noises like something inside was catching or grinding.

I'm out of ideas now. The only thing to really do is to take it to Toyota and have them have a listen. Anybody have other suggestions? I'm also thinking of just grabbing another head and swapping it over. I think we can handle that (but where to get a smallport head??).

BTW the noise is something like if you clicked your toungue off the roof of your mouth...kind of a dok dok dok dok dok type noise.

Pentavalver
03-17-2004, 01:14 AM
OK,I'd suggest getting some opinions from mechanics around the place.
Have you checked your belts? If it starts 1ce its warmed up,its a good chance its a bigend as the cooler thicker oil can mask it until its thinned from heat.
Have you dropped the oil and checked it? its possible to have the oil analysed to tell you if there high amounts of certain metals,i.e zinc or tin from bearings.
Dont just pull the head off.Try to find some old school guys who know what engine knocks can sound like.I seriously doubt its the head if theres no COMP loss.

AE92Wagoon
03-17-2004, 10:12 PM
If its not coming from the top (your discribition of valve train) then it has to come from the bottom? And I agree with Pent check the oil in pan for additive's of larger metal piece's.

ericlee303
03-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the advice guys...I may end up towing it to Toyota to see what opinions they have. I'll also check the oil and see if there's anything peculiar about it's composition.

Kvylas
03-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Dude you should also be weary of dealer mechanics. Although sometimes you might luck out and an actual mechanic works there, these days they're all "re and re" guys doing warranty work. They honestly dont possess a lot of diagnostic knowledge, and not for the old stuff... not to mention the high hourly rates based on a flat rate system. Isnt there some private shop that specializes in Toyotas?

Sorry to hear about the troubles... frustrating huh? :(

do-boy
03-19-2004, 01:44 PM
i've heard a little on a mechanic the Mr2 guys love. his shop is in surrey i believe and he specializes on 4a's. goto BCMR2club or sumthin like that. does anyone kno who or what i'm talking about?

DBM
03-19-2004, 02:06 PM
i've heard a little on a mechanic the Mr2 guys love. his shop is in surrey i believe and he specializes on 4a's. goto BCMR2club or sumthin like that. does anyone kno who or what i'm talking about?

You are probably talking about Cam. But not all of us live in BC. Eric lives down east.

4Aaron GE
03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Just a thought: Does 5S-GTE Jason's dad still work for Lexus/Toyota?