PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy Feelie... 1 Piece Drive Shafts

SuprltvCnspircy
12-23-2005, 03:41 PM
well ive been in contact with a local shop and the guy said he would make em for about 250-300 buckaroos... the only thing is that you would have to supply a donor shaft... or if you dont wanna i could try and get one for a couple extra bucks... let me know how much interest there... i will probably be getting one regardless...

Chromedragon
12-23-2005, 11:23 PM
I may be interested as I'm going to have to replace my steady bearing otherwise. When would this be happening?

ae86boy
12-24-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm interested. I already have a donor shaft waiting.

Who's doing the build? What materials? Prototyping on your car, stock car...lowering a concern?

I've looked heavily into this but never found anyone who thought they could do it once they'd seen the actual car. Please tell me more!

SuprltvCnspircy
12-24-2005, 01:08 PM
well originally Max from 4ag sparked my interest... hes had many built and spinning well... the buyers say the vibration has gone up but thats a given... so we will use a T50 yoke and supra u joints... i will get them to mock it for a lowered car... probably mine... i think mine is a safe height for using as a template... i will get more info on wed... the guy can also build aluminum shafts and carbon fibre... but he said aluminum patrs for it would be hard to source and carbon would coat 1000-1200$... more info to come... just wanna see the amount of interest...

Rob Houck
12-24-2005, 03:31 PM
i have a one piece drice shaft on my corolla thats lowered and its great, but you cant dump it or the driveshaft will slightly hit the bottom of the car.

SuprltvCnspircy
12-24-2005, 08:25 PM
hey rob would you mind hooking me up with a measurement... im assuming your car is lowered... anything will help... thanks...

J268
12-24-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm interested as well. Thing is, I don't have a donor/spare one.
He's able to make them from scratch as well? (according to your post)

SuprltvCnspircy
12-24-2005, 11:29 PM
no no... he needs a donor shaft to use for parts... wont make from scratch...

ae86boy
12-25-2005, 12:09 PM
I don't want to be "Mr. Negative" here but if your driveshaft is hitting your car, something isn't right?

I'd like to recommend also, that anyone going for the one-piece shaft should also probably look into a driveshaft loop...just for paranoid safety's sake.

Rob Houck
12-25-2005, 01:27 PM
the driveshaft will only hit if the car is dumped, say 185/60r14's with half the sidewall tucked in the wheel well. i think that looks rediculous IMO anyways so it is no big deal to run a 1 piece. and why would you need a driveshaft loop for only a 1 piece, the 2 piece can blow apart just as easy or easier. myself personally ran the driveshaft 5/8" shorter than stock because I have the 7.5 inch supra rear end. stock length is fine on a lowered vehicle but you may have to get some adjustable trailing arms to adjust your pinion angle to reduce any vibrations.

ae86boy
12-25-2005, 07:45 PM
the driveshaft will only hit if the car is dumped, say 185/60r14's with half the sidewall tucked in the wheel well. i think that looks rediculous IMO anyways so it is no big deal to run a 1 piece. and why would you need a driveshaft loop for only a 1 piece, the 2 piece can blow apart just as easy or easier. myself personally ran the driveshaft 5/8" shorter than stock because I have the 7.5 inch supra rear end. stock length is fine on a lowered vehicle but you may have to get some adjustable trailing arms to adjust your pinion angle to reduce any vibrations.

You need a driveshaft loop for "for paranoid safety's sake" as per my last post.

If the OEM 2 piece shaft breaks, it has the center bearing as a locator and will really do minimal damage with the rear-end section flailing around. If you snap a 1 piece, its going to smash the hell out of the bottom of the car, in the passenger footwell.

Brian
12-25-2005, 08:49 PM
The first issue/problem that I see with a 1 piece shaft is that there will be a lot more load on the tail bushing on the transmission.

I woudn't think that the factory designed the tranny to be strong enough for a 1 piece shaft, hence the two piece one.

Chromedragon
01-07-2006, 07:47 AM
The first issue/problem that I see with a 1 piece shaft is that there will be a lot more load on the tail bushing on the transmission.

I woudn't think that the factory designed the tranny to be strong enough for a 1 piece shaft, hence the two piece one.
But if you're able to drop the weight in half, I don't see it being a huge issue.

Any more word on this? I'm now looking at swapping in a Mark 1 Supra third member with Mark 2 internals.:D

Boost
01-07-2006, 06:41 PM
But if you're able to drop the weight in half, I don't see it being a huge issue.

Any more word on this? I'm now looking at swapping in a Mark 1 Supra third member with Mark 2 internals.:D

Same with me. Rob ^^^^ has already done this.

SuprltvCnspircy
01-08-2006, 01:33 AM
well i talked to the guy and hes gunna build them providing that your ugys supply a donor shaft... now we can get aluminum shafts... dont quote me but im pretty sure he would make em for round $500... although he said the materials would be tough to source... let me know how many people are seriously interested...

ae86boy
01-08-2006, 10:16 AM
well i talked to the guy and hes gunna build them providing that your ugys supply a donor shaft... now we can get aluminum shafts... dont quote me but im pretty sure he would make em for round $500... although he said the materials would be tough to source... let me know how many people are seriously interested...

I'm interested, especially if its aluminium.

What materials is he having trouble sourcing? Aluminium tube shouldn't be that hard to find...all the universal joint parts are coming off the donor shaft....?

Any ideas?

Chromedragon
01-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Personally I would be fine with a lightweight steel, it will be lighter than the stock unit substantially no matter what. Was there not another group buy of these where the shafts were less than $300 with all new parts? Obviously not the aluminum ones though.

SuprltvCnspircy
01-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Chrome there was one on club4ag for round the same price but US... so i think its a pretty good price... and Mac im not sure what hes having trouble finding... ill call him back maybe tommorow... cause it doesnt make sense to me... but i would probably be getting an aluminum shaft... might aswell go all the way...

Chromedragon
01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
If the price is decent I would go for aluminum I suppose. I believe I'm going to have to run mine slightly shorter since I'm putting in a MKI Supra diff. I'll do measurements when I get the diff under the car I suppose.

SuprltvCnspircy
01-12-2006, 09:37 AM
ok ok... well im going today to drop off my driveshaft to Pat's and hes gunna chop it up and get working... he said the toughest part about doing the aluminum will be the tranny to drive shaft yoke... hes gunna need an adapter to make it work with the aluminum... so ill give him mine and he can get to work... when i talked to him he told me he would usually sell the aluminum shafts for around $550-600 but will give them to us for around $400 for the group buy... ill let you know how it goes...

Chromedragon
01-12-2006, 11:44 AM
$400 for aluminum? meowmeowmeowmeow yeah!:D

SuprltvCnspircy
01-12-2006, 01:53 PM
i know crazy price hey! so lets get as many as possible... the more the cheaper...

ae86boy
01-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Heh. I've talked to Pat's numerous times over the last 10 years looking for a lightweight shaft...all they ever told me was "no...can't be done" about 257 times.

SuprltvCnspircy
01-13-2006, 09:20 AM
yeah... thats what they told me yesterday... but theyre wrong... i believe... ive been talking with max missigagawas on club4ag and he has told me how they did their driveshafts... now im not sure whether they did only steel of aluminum too... but i will find out more info and post again...

Chromedragon
01-13-2006, 04:25 PM
So now he told you that they can't do it?:(

ae86boy
01-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Sorry...I don't want to rain on this parade...but I've talked to the owner of the company, the shop head and some regular worker guy...as well as numerous people on the phone who I was refered to by these people...and none of them thought it could be done.

They were all gung-ho at first..."oh yeah, easy as pie"...and once they found out it was a Corollla..."sorry, can't be done". I've heard this from several shops...most just looked under the car and told me to go home. :)

I really, really do hope that something good comes of this though, because I really really want one! :)

SuprltvCnspircy
01-15-2006, 12:27 PM
well im a fool... i guess they cant build aluminum ones... sorry i didnt listen you mac... haha... but what they can do is replace the u joints with removable ones and enable us to run a larger diameter shaft with a thinner side wall...

the same happened with me mac... i called they said they could do it... then they said it may be tough... then thay said no... but they did say yes to steel... so i may just end up with one of those... if your guys are still in i would like to get em made...

finally i have been talking with max from 4ag and realized that an aluminum drive shaft probably isnt very probable for street driving... they dent way easier than steel... and in edmonton thats a huge risk...

but please let me know guys...

ae86boy
01-15-2006, 01:13 PM
well im a fool... i guess they cant build aluminum ones... sorry i didnt listen you mac... haha... but what they can do is replace the u joints with removable ones and enable us to run a larger diameter shaft with a thinner side wall...

the same happened with me mac... i called they said they could do it... then they said it may be tough... then thay said no... but they did say yes to steel... so i may just end up with one of those... if your guys are still in i would like to get em made...

finally i have been talking with max from 4ag and realized that an aluminum drive shaft probably isnt very probable for street driving... they dent way easier than steel... and in edmonton thats a huge risk...

but please let me know guys...

That so totally sucks.

Did they manage to explain to you why? The reasoning they gave me never made any sense. Any idea what a steel one will weigh? Do you have or need an OE piece to compare to?

SuprltvCnspircy
01-15-2006, 05:26 PM
yeah we need an oem one to mock it up i think... ive got one i can take over... i guess i can ask em to weigh the material and see what it is... i will probably stop by again tommorow...

Boost
01-15-2006, 05:28 PM
What about a chromoly steel driveshaft? Arn't they lighter and stronger than steel?

Chromedragon
01-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Maybe find out what sort of options their are for weights/strengths of steel. The one piece should be significantly lighter regardless of it being made from steel.

Oooh, and prices too.

ae86boy
01-15-2006, 09:40 PM
If you need another one let me know...I have an extra.

SuprltvCnspircy
01-16-2006, 12:49 PM
ok well i just got off the phone with them... jeff said we could got with the larger diameter and thinner wall and save about 10 pounds... now to me that sounds pretty good... not as great as aluminum but i think im still gunna get one... so ill probably drop by tonight and drop the drive shaft off... his prices seem to keep shifting around though... he just quoted me $325 balanced for the shaft im talking about... so let me know...

mac ive also got a spare so i should be good... but should we look into getting it shorter than stock for a lowered car? also it seems only you matt and i are interested... so may not be that much of a group buy...

kolumbo69
01-16-2006, 06:02 PM
I think your real problem with making this one peice shaft is your not bringing it to the right people dont bring a somethin that needs to made out of alumminum to a mechanic bring it to a proper machine shop. With the machine shop and a experinced machinist he should be able to make anything up as long as your willing to put the money out for it and you may need to give him your car to spec off of. just my .02 being an aprentice

SuprltvCnspircy
01-16-2006, 07:28 PM
dont worry... im not going through a mechanic nor have considered it... im dealing with a driveling specialty shop... this is what they do... i trust them...

ae86boy
01-16-2006, 07:37 PM
The company he's dealing with specializes in transmission, driveshaft and rear-end work for both automotive, light truck, heavy truck and industrial machinery. They are the largest driveline company in the city, possibly in Alberta.

Basically, if they can't do it, nobody can.

Chromedragon
01-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Well I hope we can have minor changes made for our driveshafts. Since I'll be running the MKI supra rear end I'll want mine a wee bit shorter. The car will also be getting lowered as well.

How much larger does he want to go on the tubing? Hopefully not large enough that it will have clearance issue with the body?

SuprltvCnspircy
01-16-2006, 09:14 PM
yeah... i was thinking that... but ill let him take a look at my car... take some measurements and i guess build the shaft based on mine... i think mines fairly genericly lowered... but matt i think that yours shouldnt be a problem... but maybe if you could supply measurements?

SuprltvCnspircy
01-17-2006, 10:28 AM
well this isnt really a further update just thought id throw this out there... a stock shaft weighs 21 lbs 4 ounces... and ourw will probably be about 10-11 lbs... lets get some more people in on this... on club 4ag the group buy cost them $325 US...

SuprltvCnspircy
01-19-2006, 05:11 PM
ok well the drive shaft is done and i have taken pics... now i just need someone to host them... would someone be so kind?

Chromedragon
01-19-2006, 10:44 PM
You can use imageshack.us to host them.

Have you test fit the shaft in your car yet?

SuprltvCnspircy
01-20-2006, 06:15 PM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5990/driveshaft15oh.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1376/driveshaft26kw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7590/driveshaft36ms.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9372/driveshaft43hd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
the drive shaft according to Pat's weighed in at 11lbs... same on my scale... both u-joints were replaced with removable u-joints and have grease nipples... the shaft is balanced and painted all for $320... killer deal... i havent gotten to test fit it and dont see it happening soon... i dont really have a car i can do it on right now...

Chromedragon
01-21-2006, 03:08 AM
11 lbs, nice. That should help acceleration out a wee bit.

I assume it wouldn't really cost any more to have it built a tiny bit shorter with all the same ujoints and what not?

SuprltvCnspircy
01-21-2006, 11:49 AM
yeah i asked him and he said it would be no problem at all... are you wanting in soon? and mac?

Chromedragon
01-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Well I haven't had a chance to put this diff in place yet. I'll try to get some measurements done tomorrow to see how much shorter it will need to be.

ae86boy
01-22-2006, 11:43 AM
I definitely won't be able to take advantage of this until well into march. Sorry, something's come up...Ill announce it soon enough. I won't lose touch with you over this though.

Supra_devil
01-23-2006, 07:49 PM
i'm interested in a one piece driveshaft, but for a mk2 Supra, i can get a driveshaft (same center carrier bull**** you guys have) but i will want some beefier u-joints and want a flange after the front slip joint to ease removal as the driveshaft feeds through the rear x-member on the mk2, and i don't feel like dripping gear oil all over my garage, again.

Was told about this by Chromie today when we were doing some measureing on his car.

Only one pieces made for my car are 475usd iirc for a 12lb Alu and 375usd for a steel shaft. So if i can get in on this i would certainly be happier, lol.

SuprltvCnspircy
01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
for sure... all you need is the donor shaft they can hack up and we can go from there...

Chromedragon
01-24-2006, 11:49 PM
for sure... all you need is the donor shaft they can hack up and we can go from there...
They don't require a donor shaft for our cars do they? I thought you said they used all new materials.

After doing the measurements yesterday I figure that 1" shorter should give me some free play with the MKI diff installed.

SuprltvCnspircy
01-25-2006, 07:34 PM
no they do require a donor shaft... or at least the T50 yoke and plate that bolts to the diff... he needs both ends...

Chromedragon
01-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Ok, but they provide new ujoints and bearings and what not correct?

SuprltvCnspircy
01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
just new u joints... no bearings in the set-up... but yes...

Chromedragon
01-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Hmmm, I'm going to have to keep an eye on the wreckers as I can't really afford to have my car out of commision. Since I'm doing the diff as well it will all have to be done at the same time and I need to line up more parts for the differential swap (brake calipers, rotors, etc.

SuprltvCnspircy
01-28-2006, 12:25 AM
ok... well i guess its your call... it only took them two days to make the drive shaft... they worked very quick... let me know...

dogstar
02-05-2006, 10:49 AM
I think your real problem with making this one peice shaft is your not bringing it to the right people dont bring a somethin that needs to made out of alumminum to a mechanic bring it to a proper machine shop. With the machine shop and a experinced machinist he should be able to make anything up as long as your willing to put the money out for it and you may need to give him your car to spec off of. just my .02 being an aprentice

I know this is kind of beating a dead horse, but it can be done.
Pats or whatever the place is called says it cant, but doesnt give a reason, in the fabrication language that means "i dont feel like it"

not trying to start an arguement, but plain and simple, it can be done.
anyone interested in an aluminum driveshaft needs to talk to the right fabricator, someone specializing in aluminum and/or heavy duty driveline.

anyways, back on topic, the one piece looks nice, and 10 pounds of weight savings is a LOT.
combined with a lightweight flywheel i bet a 4ag would be nice and responsive, although maybe a bit jerky in bumper to bumper traffic.

SuprltvCnspircy
02-05-2006, 10:30 PM
they did give an answer... he said that they couldnt source a u joint to work with the aluminum... for the size we need we would need an aluminum parts so he could weld the aluminum... cant weld steel to aluminum... there simply was no parts available to them through several companies...

Supra_devil
02-06-2006, 06:22 PM
they did give an answer... he said that they couldnt source a u joint to work with the aluminum... for the size we need we would need an aluminum parts so he could weld the aluminum... cant weld steel to aluminum... there simply was no parts available to them through several companies...

they are available, they just don't want to, or there prefered supplier doesn't supply them. But they are available easily enough.

But other than that, i have now gotten a supra DS and would like to get a quote and ask about payment, any chance they do layaway or payment plans? home shoppings cutting into the car fund.

SuprltvCnspircy
02-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Personally i dont know why you would think this... thay have said the same thing to two of us from Dk at two seperate times... im not sure why they would refuse buisness when they could make a larger sale... a little unsure...

Supra_devil
02-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Is there a time limit for this 'deal' at all? or is a continuing deal between the shop and the DK guys or what? as i previously mentioned home buying isn't cheap and is taking time and money from me as i look and do finances to see what i got.

SuprltvCnspircy
02-14-2006, 01:24 AM
nah... take your time... they werent concerned about time when i got mine done...