PDA

View Full Version : So I went to a lapping day at Dunville Autodrome...

Jay
09-09-2006, 04:07 PM
...And had a hella good time! First time on a racetrack in the Celi. I have to say it works a lot better on the track than it has any right to (being 3000 lbs heavy and automatic) but the 185/60 Yoko 32Rs I had leftover from my Corolla are just too narrow for it. Still it handled great and the "sport mode" automatic was tons more suited to life on the track than it is in a parking lot doing solo-II.

Anyway here are some pics a friend took:

http://www.glfx.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=11060

I hope he doesn't mind me linking them here but I have to show off. Note the very last pic on the first page (http://www.glfx.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=11697) and note that I was the only black car on black steelies at the event - yes, that is my right front rotor glowing like the reactors at Chernobyl! Obviously I have brakes issues to sort out but it was still cool as hell to see. Attracted quite a crowd when I pulled off the track. (I also blew a former pinhole in my rad up to the point where it steams out ALL its coolant in about twenty minutes, but life is tough all over.)

Anyway that was fun! The Celi made it back to London under its own power and a new rad is going in tomorrow so all is well. I'll post my vides when I digitise them off the camera.

- J

Jay
09-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Before:
http://publish.uwo.ca/~jmhoeber/rotor-hot.jpg

After:
http://publish.uwo.ca/~jmhoeber/rotor.jpg
:eek:

I guess that brake WAS dragging after all.

So the final toll on brake parts is going to be at least one rotor (probably both fronts), pads all around, a complete fluid flush and I have to rebuild that caliper because obviously there's SOMETHING wrong with it that just doesn't show up on the street. Nobody ever said lapping was cheap.

On the plus side my brand new rad is in and it wasn't that expensive at all. On the minus side again I corded the front two undersize Yokos, and crunched a questionable drip rail at the rear when jacking the car up. :mad: Oh well, **** happens.

- J

celica-fiend
09-11-2006, 10:10 AM
holleee crap.

that is.. stunning.. I had about 6 guys around my desk here at work screaming Photoshop! Photoshop!

geezus man.. how long did it take to cool down again?

Brett

Jay
09-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Hah, no chop! That pic was actually taken a few minutes after I'd parked the car in the pit area - we had to scramble to find a camera 'coz everyone was packing up to go by then. It took about six or seven minutes to stop glowing and maybe half an hour before I had enough brake pedal to leave the venue.

After stopping for some food in town it had cooled enough that I had about 60% of my brakes back - which is about all I'm going to get until I replace everything. Fun fun.

- J

greenie
09-11-2006, 05:28 PM
thats CRAZY

shoulda bought some hotdogs, gathered round and roasted some weenies

max attack
09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Thats wild Jay,I've seen or heard of a rotor staying that hot for that long:eek:

Kinda surprised something didn't melt or catch on fire before it cooled down.

Jay
09-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering if I should pull the wheel bearing and have a REALLY good look at it. I don't feel or hear anything abnormal from that side but I'm sure it wouldn't have been very happy operating in that much heat. Opinions?

BTW since I bought the car from a licensed dealer it still falls under Ontario's mandatory 90-day safety warrantee, which means that I should be able to get the caliper rebuilt and rotor replaced on that side at least. Should take a bite out of my costs.

I have noticed the engine has developed a bit of a misfire when taking take off from a stop that wasn't there before. Now I'm wondering if I overheated it driving home with the massive rad leak. I'm not seeing any coolant in the oil or exhaust smoke, so I don't think I've warped the head or blown the HG - what else would cause this? Burnt plugs?

(Let this be a lession folks! Replace all those dodgy parts BEFORE you go lapping, not after! Doh.)

- J

LongLiveJDM
09-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Looks like it was fun....

Holy body roll on that celica though :o