PDA

View Full Version : Drifting in the wet

joshmanalo
11-17-2006, 05:50 PM
heres a video of my 86' driftng in some industrial area.. i messed up a few times heheh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAViWvevUE

koolmoe
11-17-2006, 06:31 PM
can't even tell what's going on... mount the camera lower and do it again....:D

nusneak
11-17-2006, 10:21 PM
your not sideways nearly enough, I closed the video vearly. instead of coming out right away turn the wheel away from the rear end and go sideways back and fourth again after the corner.. but becareful, in the words of devin its really easy to get away from you doing that

I hope that makes sense, I'm really high.. :roll I usually just describe staying sideways without power as doing something stupid with the steering wheel

santorty
11-17-2006, 11:35 PM
it looked more like power sliding than drifting to me, but the camera angle kinda sucked so it's hard to tell at all.

zero_one
11-17-2006, 11:57 PM
open diff drifting?

joshmanalo
11-18-2006, 10:47 AM
haha yea open wheel drifting and i got lazy with the camera and just mounted it on roof alongside the dome light with a zap strap... ill do it properly next time

1Xuan1
11-20-2006, 02:14 AM
I believe he is that he doesn't have a lsd... so open diff? correct me if i'm wronge
yah it would be more intresting if we could actually see where your going hahah

bodaciousbob
11-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Keep your eyes on the road!

lgman
11-21-2006, 02:29 PM
LOL "360, its not hard or anything...."

Perfect ending would be a cop tossing u on the hood of your car j/k

got_ae86
11-21-2006, 02:38 PM
I remember the days of the Inital D soundtrack with an open-diff. Boy, I'm glad those are over for me. Fast and Furious sndtrk and LSD FTW.

joshmanalo
11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
ugh... with an open diff it drifts alright when i turn left but when i turn right my right rear just spins like hell, unless i throw the car around or use the e-brake to get it started. Time to save up for an LSD now that im gettin a better job, workin for JIM PATTISSON toyota wont get me anything.

nusneak
11-21-2006, 08:13 PM
wtf are you talking about? I could drift stock car with no diff fine both ways.
shift the weight, you dont need power or a clutch to go sideways it helps you stay there. :roll

1985trueno
11-22-2006, 11:11 AM
i think I saw the fuel light come on after a turn.....or is it check engine light?

starve engine mid drift = not so good. put in some more gas. :) The camera mount certainly lets you "feel" the G hahaha.

joshmanalo
11-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Its the fuel light, it comes on even if i have 100km left. my guage is way off so i just go by kilometers.

Trust me, there is a huge difference drifting to the left vs. drifting to the right, atleast in my car. I can drift both ways but its harder drifting to the right with an open diff. In the wet from a stop, if i try to get her moving quick its my right tire that ALWAYS spins, never the left. Its a real bi+ch when im goin up the hill on Cumberland hanging a right on 8th ave in new west specially when its wet, it unloads the right rear and im barely movin while my right rear is spinning at 200mph

TurboII
11-22-2006, 06:05 PM
You need to be nicer to your car. It looks like it dosent like to go sideways at all. Dial in some camber there and dont rely on power over to get your slide going.
I dont ever drift in the dry with my car, its one of the hardest things on your car to be doing. Wet is another story. Talk to Kevin, hes freakin amazing in his coupe!!

koolmoe
11-22-2006, 07:17 PM
power over is the safest way to get the feel of getting sideways through a turn, IMO. Getting sideways at entry is another story altogether and something i'm only just beginning to do. Some people use the E-brake to initiate, others use the feint with some clutch kicking (my preference), and i'm sure there are many other techniques. Just learn at your own pace and keep the car on the road and above all else, DON'T NEEDLESSLY ENDANGER OTHERS! that means try to stay on your side of the road! On that note, i'm off for a drive...

FiveOneOh
11-22-2006, 07:24 PM
I have to agree on the right hand drift thing.. my 86 just light up that inside tire. even once the drift is going the inside tire takes over and the car just starts to plow.

think I'ma just weld the damn thing.

joshmanalo
11-23-2006, 09:57 PM
lol ive thought about welding it but thats too ghetto! ill just save up for the lsd, i heard that welding the diff creates crazy understeer too

FiveOneOh
11-26-2006, 03:40 PM
meh, my cars beater.. I couldnt; care less.

trigger
11-26-2006, 03:53 PM
if you do a weight shift maybe u can drift on the otherside with the open diff on my 89 240sx its an open diff but i've only tried downshifting and clutching it a couple times for right corners

My AE86 drifted both ways tho thats because i have bald tires lol ..oh and it looks like your roof has fungi lol

joshmanalo
11-26-2006, 09:03 PM
lol its a gts but the previous owner welded the sunroof shut thats why the roof is like that