PDA

View Full Version : VMSC autocross 9 may 09

sunray
05-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Anyone have any vids or pictures from today? Here's another bumper vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okmvkzYhTCE

Cbergerud
05-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Nice! The motor is sounding a lot meaner on those 44s.

sunray
05-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Nice! The motor is sounding a lot meaner on those 44s.

Yeah and it seems to pull much harder too. No drop in pressure showing on the map sensor anymore. But it took 4 hours friday night to get the throttle shafts twisted just so. I think if I had a better vacuum signal at idle then it would have been a non-issue but that cam has so much overlap.

J-Min
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
^ you need to get a LSD, you were spending a lot of time spinning there boy. also noticed some understeer from the front. what were your times like?

had any thoughts about getting a lower and wider stance for the car?

i have tonns of pics, and 1 crappy vid- ill edit some stuff and bang of some photos here..

sunray
05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
The incident which resulted in a red flag being thrown and re-runs for both me and the bmw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFgR--KHV8

Yeah J-min way ahead of you there. The lsd for the car is somewhere floating over the pacific right now from Japan. The car can be lowered at will but I am waiting due to the new rear diff case being 2 inches wider in track and I am not interested in flaring at all. In fact, its sitting as high as it can right now and can go a maximum of 4 inches lower.

When I get understeer it is simply from the leafs lifting up too much in corners. With a slightly lower rear stance combined with an lsd and some v710's it will be fine. I mean I'm running cheap all-seasons!

Times were okay at 76 seconds but it was like a wall that I could never pass without traction. Its the same every event, just a little faster each time. I still think it fairs well when you consider I only have 85hp.

J-Min
05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
true true, i figured you already had a handle on what was going on.

i was a bit mystified when i saw what tires you were running....was hoping that wasnt your specific race choice haha. you seemed very consistent, and kept about the same speed through out the corners i was working. 76 is pretty respectable.

my friend adrien, in the black Mr2, was hovering around 72. he also has dunlop summer tires, carbotech pads, toms coilovers, and over 2.5x the BHP ;)

sunray
05-10-2009, 08:57 PM
That was a very nice car he has there.

Its shiddy with mine because there is not much available anymore. Like I can't really flare the fibre fenders. They took 2 years just to get so I could replace the rusted ones. And even if I could, flaring the rear of a 4 door poses a whole new problem. You should see a photo of the first autocross with it. It was so hopeless that it was sick. All I had back then was 34 year old leafs on 34 year old shocks. They don't have anything else, no panhard, no links, nothing. I figure 1.5 to 2 inches lower in the rear should make a big difference with squatting and I'm considering limiter straps.

J-Min
05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
no rear links eh, sounds like my old pickup. probably handles just as well too ;) youve got a pretty respectable time though, like i said- smooth driving, and good recoveries those few times you lost it on the second straight.

visean
05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
NICE! that looked like a fun track. Your car is really coming together. Sounding good!

DBM
06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for posting the vids! I hope to get the chance to autocross there again someday. The concrete walls were a bit unnerving for me when I autocrossed there. Super friendly folks though!
Your driving looked really smooth! Vid quality was good too. What are you using to capture your video?

sunray
06-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks for posting the vids! I hope to get the chance to autocross there again someday. The concrete walls were a bit unnerving for me when I autocrossed there. Super friendly folks though!
Your driving looked really smooth! Vid quality was good too. What are you using to capture your video?

Hey thanks! I was using a silly little canon point and shoot for the vids. Not sure when I'll be out again as the car was flipped over by hand by some hooligans two nights ago.

DBM
06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
oh no! Someone (err, multiple someones) flipped your car over?!?! I'm speechless! Thats terrible! I hope that it isn't damaged too badly!

I know what it is like to have people screw with your stuff. Kids burned my garage down a month ago. I lost thousands of dollars in stuff that isn't covered by insurance.

I hope you can get it all sorted out! Maybe someone will offer you a car to codrive at future autocross events until you get your rolla repaired?