PDA

View Full Version : Not-Quite-New In Box Xbox 360 Elite Console (x2)

azrael
07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Located in Calgary!

I bought this big heap of RROD 360s from a guy. That's right, I know a guy. He might even be a guy who knows a guy. I digress, though - none of these are stolen, and this is confirmed by the fact that they are registered on my Microsoft Passport account.

Still, they were supposed to be under warranty, and after Microsoft's examination, it was revealed that they were, in fact, not. So, with nothing left to lose, I taught myself how to fix this crap.

All right, that's a lie, I already knew how to fix this crap. Long story short, I just got around to doing it, and all of them work. I have two left, the other one I'm keeping. The two that are left are both elites, one of which is the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 console, so it's got all these ridiculous camouflage designs on it. It actually looks okay, but it's not my cup of tea.

Both work perfectly now. No hard drives, no controllers, but they both come with a power brick and standard definition AV cables. Both consoles have HDMI out, so just buy yourself a cheap HDMI cable and go to town.

$100 each.

CoD MW2 Console:
http://images.digital-angel.net/360s/26.jpg

Regular Elite:
http://images.digital-angel.net/360s/27.jpg

Both Elites sold

One more for sale!

Xbox 360 Console, White. June 2008 build date.
- Console, Component HD A/V cables, power brick. (203W)
- No HDMI output, just A/V.
- No Hard Drive or controllers

Console was giving intermittent RRODs, usually fine. I hit it with the heat gun to reflow the solder anyways, then cleaned off the GPU/CPU, applied new (better) thermal grease, tightened the heatsink clamps, and cleaned out the heatsinks, console, and fans. Console should be good to go as long as you don't block ventilation. I will warranty the work for 30 days, as with the last ones.

$100.

http://images.digital-angel.net/images/360s/core/Set.jpg
http://images.digital-angel.net/images/360s/core/On.jpg
http://images.digital-angel.net/images/360s/core/Running.jpg

If you want the write-up with some photos of how I'm fixing these things, hit this (http://wildgunmen.com/blog/2010/07/07/k-star-pros-guide-to-fixing-the-360s-red-ring-of-death/) post.

carthik2
07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
thats a damn good price. But just FYI and everyone else, I'm sure you already know, red rings are ticking time bombs, even when repaired they will only last so long. How I know? I have repaired over a hundred myself back in the day.

Still, this is a stupid good price, you can sell the power bricks alone on ebay for over 50 US bucks.

azrael
07-07-2010, 04:43 PM
The nice thing about the red ring, of course, is that it's repairable the same way every time!

I used good thermal grease, made sure the surfaces were cleaned and well-prepped, and the reflow job should have been more than adequate in terms of the heat used and where it was concentrated. I can't guarantee it won't do it again, of course, but if you take proper care of the console, it SHOULD be good.

At least, as good as any 360 ever was. Quite the design flaw.

mr e
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Willing to ship to L6P 0A1 ? AKA random postal code in Brampton?

I will paypal...

Will Garrick
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
wouldnt you think microsoft would have fixed this problem by now :s

AhBra
07-08-2010, 01:13 AM
wouldnt you think microsoft would have fixed this problem by now :s

And you would think they would fix Vista but that isn't the case is it.

They just make something "better"

roblee
07-08-2010, 04:26 AM
if mr e gets one i will get the other one. i have the red ring of death.

Hollister
07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
willing to give 1 month rrod warranty?

azrael
07-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Mr E and Roblee have expressed an interest in a package deal for the two of them shipped to Ontario, but failing that if I end up with one left, Hollister, yes. If one of these RRODs again within a reasonable period of time (let's say 30 days for now) then I will repair it free of charge.

Actually, Roblee and Mr E, this applies to you, too, we just might have to sort something regarding shipping in that case. I'm pretty convinced that they're solid, but a little extra assurance never hurt.

Also, if anyone has a RROD console that's out of warranty and they would like it fixed, I'll perform the operation for $40 with the same guarantee.

black pumpkin
07-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Ive had rrod a few times before , and suddenly it just disappeared and i haven't had it since and its been a while.
anyways good price wish this was the price when i paid for it back in the day,( when it first came out).

mr e
07-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Sold!

roblee
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
time to buy some xbox gold membership.

azrael
07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Thank you to Roblee and Mr E.

If anyone needs some RROD repaired, let me know! I've got 90g of thermal paste and a heat gun I need to get my money's worth out of.

clay72
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
My laptop did the rrod thing. Had to take it apart and fix the GPU. Turned out to be super easy. I used a little butane torch which was a bit sketch, but it worked like a charm. I wish i had seen this posting earlier, i want to grab a 360

azrael
07-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah. Butane torch is a little too scary for me. I actually only put two and two together about the method of RROD repair I used after I had to do exactly the same thing to an HP tablet laptop.

HP laptops are garbage by the way - they all do the same thing with the GPU.

FiveOneOh
07-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Ive had rrod a few times before , and suddenly it just disappeared and i haven't had it since and its been a while.
anyways good price wish this was the price when i paid for it back in the day,( when it first came out).

then you didn;t have RROD. theres alot of different red rings, yoru error code could have just been dirty disk or lose connection.

Hollister
07-09-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm on my 3rd console and I got the 3 red rings playing red dead redemption. the game froze and the 3 red rings. I turned the system off and just left it there for 2 days and its been running great now for a month.

azrael
07-09-2010, 10:02 AM
The one that looks really suspiciously like the RROD is the error for a poor A/V cable connection. I've had that happen a few times to my other consoles.

mr e
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Sooo now that I've paid, and you've shipped it.. everyone is talking about how much the Xbox360 sucks? lol!

carthik2
07-09-2010, 12:39 PM
See what happens when the Americans try to build a gaming console? Can they do anything right? lol.
Now we all gotta get some GTA games going, no excuse.

azrael
07-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Hah, GTA in the GTA.

I'm hilarious.

Sorry, Nitin - I should probably be singing the 360's praises, the conversation just sort of seems to have gravitated towards when **** hits the fan.

I own three 360s, not including the two that are on their way to you. One of them is an RROD repair, the other two are originals that have never given me any problems at all. If you don't shove the AV cable connector all the way into the socket, though, when you start it up, it gets really grumpy and flashes a bunch of red lights. That's all we're talking about.

I use one of mine quite heavily for gaming, and the other two are basically just glorified wireless Media Players. In all applications, they work great.

mr e
07-09-2010, 01:43 PM
explain this media center... and how I could do that...

azrael
07-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Media Center:

1) A host device on the network acts as a media source, using UPnP or DLNA standards. A good example is a Windows Media Center PC (XP Media Center Edition, Vista Home Premium and upwards, Windows 7 Home Premium and Upwards), or to a large degree, any PC with Windows Media Player (9 and up, I believe - current version works best, of course) with Windows Media Player Sharing service enabled.

2) A host device on the network acts as a UPnP or DLNA client - in this case, the Xbox 360. Using the UPnP or DLNA standard, it requests media from the server; Media is streamed in real-time (buffered) over the network from server to client, which decodes the video/audio stream and displays it.

Personally, I have a computer in a rack with a 1TB hard drive running Scientific Linux 5.3 and a software package called uShare, which is a DLNA media server. It works on both my 360s and my PS3. You could likely replace this with any Windows box running Windows Media Player with sharing enabled. If you go the WMP route, you will need to allow the specific 360 to access content on the server using the access controls built-in to WMP. It auto-detects devices that query it, and gives you the option to allow or deny devices for which a decision has not yet been made. uShare is a bitch to set up.

In a nutshell:

1) Stick your media on one computer running WMP. Add it to the WMP library, and in options, enable sharing.

2) Connect your 360 to the network and search for media servers.

3) In the dialog that will undoubtedly pop up in WMP, select the 360 and click 'allow' when asked if you would like to allow the device to access your shared media.

4) Select 'video library' on the 360 dashboard and select your PC from the list.

5) Browse available video for the video you would like to play and select it with 'A'.

6) Hit play and enjoy.

The 360's options for video and audio codecs is somewhat limited. You will want your video to be in DivX, XviD, MPEG-4, or uncompressed AVI format, and your audio is best off in MP3 format. (Within the video file.) If you download weird **** with something like an AC-3 audio codec, the 360 will give you an 'Unplayable Content' error. I recommend a program like MediaCoder to convert your media between formats.

If you need more specific information, send me a PM. =)

black pumpkin
07-10-2010, 11:48 PM
no mine was when the console was over heating i had it in a tv unit case and when the door would close it would get to hot a give me rrod . the av cable was pushed in all the way.

azrael
07-11-2010, 08:13 PM
One more for sale, updated original post as well.

Xbox 360 Console, White. June 2008 build date.
- Console, Component HD A/V cables, power brick. (203W)
- No HDMI output, just A/V.
- No Hard Drive or controllers

Console was giving intermittent RRODs, usually fine. I hit it with the heat gun to reflow the solder anyways, then cleaned off the GPU/CPU, applied new (better) thermal grease, tightened the heatsink clamps, and cleaned out the heatsinks, console, and fans. Console should be good to go as long as you don't block ventilation. I will warranty the work for 30 days, as with the last ones.

$100.

mr e
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
got them this morning...

SOOO Sick!

I can't wait to play with it...

How easy is the wifi setup? I have an external linksys usb card lying around...

azrael
07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
WiFi on the 360 is balls. You either need a Wireless Bridge (a WRT54g running DD-WRT works great) or the official 360 wireless adapter. Fortunately, you can get a used one for around $50, at least around here. Unfortunately, you can't just plug in a USB wireless adapter and hope for the best.

Glad they arrived safe and sound! Which one did you end up keeping, Nitin?

mr e
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
CoD MW2 Console:
http://images.digital-angel.net/360s/26.jpg

This one... it was the first box I opened. I might take the other one since I kinda want to use it as a full media center... apparently you can convert these to play full HD blueray discs.

azrael
07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Le bump.

Still have the third, white console available. $100, includes HD cable + power brick. Somebody has to want a 360. This is probably the last time I'll bump this here.