PDA

View Full Version : GB: Gemini Carbon / Fiberglass hood group buy

Panda86
03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Great news! I have confirmation that the group buy will be happening! Here's the details:

Gemini Composites will be producing OEM style hoods for the AE86 Corolla (GTS, hatch, coupe and SR5's are all the same to my knowledge) for a Dori-Kaze exclusive group buy. If you have ever seen Gemini products, you know that quality, fitment and high quality finish are very important. Their hoods retail for more than what we are paying. This is an exclusive group buy for DK members.

If you do not have all the funds right now, you can leave a security deposit. The mold will take a couple weeks to make, and then the hoods themselves will take approx 4 weeks. These are the hood specs:

- the hood will be carbon, and have a fiberglass reinforced skeleton
- it will have rolled edges
- there is a plated steel plate / latch for an OEM fit
- squirter holes can be drilled by Gemini
- beautiful weave patterns with rolled, not cut edges
- smooth high gloss finish
- full factory-style under frame
- aluminum reinforcement in all hinge and latch areas
- plated steel latch mounted with flat head machine screw for a clean, smooth look
- all holes for hinges and latches drilled and tapped for perfect fit / washer holes drilled by request/
- frames are fiberglassed to the carbon skin for maximum safety / our hoods have been track tested to 250 km/hr or 155 miles/hr with-out hood pins

*** THESE PICTURES ARE EXAMPLES OF CONSTRUCTION / QUALITY ONLY! THE HOOD WILL LOOK AND BE SHAPED JUST LIKE AN OEM AE86 HOOD ***

http://www.geminicomposites.com/index.html
http://www.geminicomposites.com/products/images/hoods/celica13.jpg
http://www.geminicomposites.com/products/images/hoods/celica18.jpg
http://www.geminicomposites.com/products/images/hoods/celica3.jpg
http://www.geminicomposites.com/products/images/hoods/celica12.jpg
http://www.geminicomposites.com/gallery/images/imp13.jpg (underside to show skeleton, the yellow color is due to this hood being carbon kevlar)

Here's the prices (they will change after this group buy!):

Gemini carbon AE86 OEM style hood = Dori-Kaze group buy price $650
Gemini Fiberglass AE86 OEM style hood = Dori-Kaze group buy price $550
add $100 for a V pattern or colored carbon hood (see Gemini site for deets)

If you want one, here's what you do:

1. Post up your user name, and full name (so that we know we have enough people, we need 8 or more for them to move ahead) and what kind of hood you want (carbon or fiberglass)
2. Contact Marc at Gemini by e-mail at info@geminicomposites.com Please put "Dori Kaze Corolla hood group buy" in the title, and give them your contact info. Marc will give you detailed info on deposits and payment. You must leave a deposit with Gemini for your hood to be made.
3. You must complete the payment of the balance of your order before you will receive your hood.
4. we can make arrangements for pick up at a later date

The Gemini products are great, and they usually retail in the $900- $1000 range. The prices we are getting are exclusive for this DK group buy only. We are getting a killer deal, so let's support local businesses. Thanks Panda86.

*ps: I am not affiliated with Gemini, I am just trying to get this GB arranged. Thanks.

JungleMatic
03-30-2004, 09:00 AM
dropvent? maybe...

Panda86
03-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Sorry, but for now there seems to be more demand for the OEM style for now. Plus most cars are street driven, the drop vent makes sense for racing but it's not great for rain / snow.

As an alternative, J-Blood makes a drop vent for about $1000. Check Cannonball-R in Vancouver. There's probably some copies in the states too.

Soulibrium
03-30-2004, 10:18 AM
will these hoods come complete with warranty? im afraid of bubbling from the heat. i had a CF hood before, and it bubbled from just over the engine due to the heat.

oldschool
03-30-2004, 07:21 PM
levin hood?

:D

Gemini should make some....

AccentAE86
03-30-2004, 09:21 PM
How much is shipping for a hood to most major centers? I assume they will be in vancouver.

projectae86
03-30-2004, 11:43 PM
hey they dont have a pic of a "v hood" anywhere on the site that i can see. could you post one so i know what they are? well i have an idea but im not sure.

mat

Panda86
03-31-2004, 03:17 AM
I have been told that shipping will be $150 or less, depending on the area. You can e-mail info@geminicomposites.com for more detailed info on shipping to your location.

The V pattern hood has the weave meeting in the center of the hood, in a V shape like this picture on the left:

http://www.geminicomposites.com/products/products.html

Oldschool: there's currently more demand for the OEM GTS hood for now. Maybe they will make the Levin one if this batch is successful.

PDM
03-31-2004, 08:55 AM
Terry, I'll be up for a hood.

PDM

SupraFiend
03-31-2004, 11:33 AM
will these hoods come complete with warranty? im afraid of bubbling from the heat. i had a CF hood before, and it bubbled from just over the engine due to the heat.

No they won't bubble

Panda86
03-31-2004, 10:26 PM
Awesome PDM! Make sure to contact Marc at Gemini with ur contact info!

1. Panda86 (Terry) carbon hood
2. PDM (Don) carbon hood

Panda86
04-01-2004, 10:48 AM
I just got off the phone with Marc from Gemini. Here's some more details.

Their hoods have been tested on multiple cars, and they haven't had problems with latches popping open at high speeds, etc.. Rest assured that safety and strength is their main concern. A lot of time has been invested in this. The edges are rolled and you can use your OEM latch (on the chassis)

The hoop (U shaped part on the underside of the OEM hood) is welded on, it's not removable so they have to use their own hoops. They have made their own strong plated steel hoops for use on the carbon hoods. These have been used for some time and are tested and work very well. These will work with the OEM latch (part on the chassis). *You DO NOT need to modify anything.* The hoop part also has a second smaller hoop as a safety catch. This will be implemented as well. The hoop / bracket is bolted to the underside of the hood skeleton, and is backed with a thick aluminum plate. The skeleton is not just "glued" to the hood skin like some cheap hoods, it's bonded and fiberglass is added to ensure that it won't come apart.

Marc also weighed the OEM GTS hood, it clocks in at about 35lbs. He said the carbon hood will weigh approx 13-14lbs, which is a huge savings.

So to all those that were interested, you can be assured that this is a quality piece and no details are being skimped on. If price is an issue, I would compare the details above to a cheaper hood which usually has a carbon skin (sometimes they're not even carbon, they are colored black fiberglass), plastic skelton, and hoop latches that are "screwed" into the skeleton with no backing plate. This is the typical $350-400 hood you would see. Also compared to a $950 J-Blood hood, the Gemini hood is a great deal.

** For those that can't afford this right away, Gemini will send you payment details for this group buy. You can leave them a deposit, and pay for the hood 3 months later if you want. You need to sign up and leave a deposit for the special DK group buy pricing. Likely the prices will return to full retail after this group buy, so best to get in on it while you can.

Thanks T. If you have any other Q's let me know.

C-Jo
04-01-2004, 01:03 PM
I want a hood, I just didn't realise it would only take a few weeks to produce. There's not really anyway I could get the money by then. Do I just email Gemini for details on payment plans?

PS: Gemini hoods are awesome quality. Friends in the Honda scene have nothing but good things to say about them. :)

do-boy
04-01-2004, 01:16 PM
aww damn soo tempting!!! if it was $500 i'd be in pretty sure. i'm trying to bargain or anything, jus saying i dont have the money :( gotta save up for LSD anyways.

hey terry, now you can cover up your empty e-bay with CF! are you still looking into laying some CF yourself?

Panda86
04-01-2004, 01:50 PM
C-jo / Matt. Email Gemini and find out what the minimum deposit is (I'm not sure, I don't have the info yet). They will set up a payment plan for you, so that even if you leave a deposit now, you can pay off the rest later. They will hold the hood for you until you pay the balance off. The important thing is to get in on the group buy before it ends and they put the prices back to retail. At that point, they will likely be $900 - $1000 judging by the other hoods.

I have friends that have the Honda ones too, and they look amazing! They are pretty much JDM quality / attention to detail.

The mold will take a couple weeks and the hoods will be about 4 weeks. So it's looking like they'll having a finished product in about 6 weeks, give or take. Make take a bit more to produce additional units.

Matt: I am still planning to lay some flat sheets. I'll have some leftovers you can use for the deck face thing. Just busy with work right now! T.

oldschool
04-01-2004, 07:43 PM
why dont they make a hood for levin?

;)

do-boy
04-02-2004, 08:28 AM
hey sweet terry, thanks. jus lemme kno and i'll chip in some

Jedi_Pimp
04-03-2004, 05:09 AM
im in.. when are the hoods readily availiable? :D

Panda86
04-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Cool! Contact Marc at Gemini at info@geminicomposites.com to arrange the deposit info. He is shooting for about 6 weeks or so when the first one is done.

C-jo and 604Trueno: come on guys! Let's get hooked up with some sweet hoods!

Hood GB so far:

1. Panda86 (Terry)
2. PDM (Don)
3. Jedipimp (please add name)

Panda86
04-05-2004, 10:43 PM
TTT

Anyone else interested?

Backonthewagonsan
04-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Hood GB so far:

1. Panda86 (Terry)
2. PDM (Don)
3. Jedipimp (please add name)
4. Truenosan (Jonny)

Panda86
04-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Truenosan and Jedipimp. Please make sure to contact Marc at Gemini by e-mail at info@geminicomposites.com Please put "Dori Kaze Corolla hood group buy" in the title, and give them your contact info. Marc will give you detailed info on deposits and payment. You must leave a deposit for them to start your hood.

Backonthewagonsan
04-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Truenosan and Jedipimp. Please make sure to contact Marc at Gemini by e-mail at info@geminicomposites.com Please put "Dori Kaze Corolla hood group buy" in the title, and give them your contact info. Marc will give you detailed info on deposits and payment. You must leave a deposit for them to start your hood.

yep no worries. i just sent marc an e-mail.

do-boy
04-06-2004, 08:17 AM
hey, i got a nice tax return!! yay!. so i MAY be in on this. or i can use that money to pay my mom back for the loan on my car LOL. we'll see...

Panda86
04-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Matt, you need to get a hood, it's going to go great with your bodywork, etc.. What's a little more debt, right? :D

do-boy
04-06-2004, 01:00 PM
haha, yea i'm seriously considering it, but there are sooo many things i need! plus i am making a DV hood rite now...if it turns out hardcore ugly, i'll getta hood

Jedi_Pimp
04-06-2004, 02:14 PM
1. Panda86 (Terry)
2. PDM (Don)
3. Jedipimp (Jack)
4. Truenosan (Jonny)

contacted them, thanks :D

Soulibrium
04-06-2004, 03:56 PM
i would love to jump in on the buy. but i have ZERO cash ...so maybe ill wait till next time..if there is a next time.

twotone_ae86
04-06-2004, 06:01 PM
i would love to jump in on the buy. but i have ZERO cash ...so maybe ill wait till next time..if there is a next time.

ditto on that... id be in on another group buy in a couple of moths, hopefully thsi is not a one time deal

Backonthewagonsan
04-06-2004, 07:12 PM
just had an unexpected problem and am now too short of cash.
pls remove my name from the list.

Expo86
04-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Please add my name to the list for a Carbon Fiber hood.
Expo86 (Dave)

I will contact Marc according to the posted instructions.

It would be nice if this went through but it's not looking too likely right now.

Dave.

Panda86
04-06-2004, 10:42 PM
1. Panda86 (Terry)
2. PDM (Don)
3. Jedipimp (Jack)
4. Expo86 (Dave)

No prob Truenosan. Please contact Marc at Gemini to confirm removal from the GB.

Expo86: not sure what you mean by "It would be nice if this went through but it's not looking too likely right now."? Do you mean not enough people?

Expo86
04-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Expo86: not sure what you mean by "It would be nice if this went through but it's not looking too likely right now."? Do you mean not enough people?

yes, we need 8 for it to make it worth Gemini's while right? I thought I'd bring it to 5 but with me we're still at 4. Hopefully another 4 will join in.

Dave.

C-Jo
04-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Sorry guys, as much as I'd like to I can't justify spending that much money for a carbon hood on a car that's completely stock. :(

Nevermind the fact that I can't afford it anyway.

I really am sorry, I feel like a dick because I was one of the most interested to begin with. Hopefully 4 more buyers will emerge from DK, Club4AG or the ad on the Gemini site.

Good luck

Panda86
04-07-2004, 01:26 AM
That's OK C-jo, no worries. I hope a few more people will join in, and there's some interest from a couple people if the offer stands in the future too.

Panda86

PDM
04-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Don't worry Dave.... the hoods ARE being made ;)

PDM

Jedi_Pimp
04-07-2004, 11:26 AM
hehehe thats good stuff.. :D

Panda86
05-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Pics are here! The first hood is completed and has been test fitted!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286983525

Group buy is still available for those interested. Please e-mail info@geminicomposites.com for details. Thanks, Panda86.

Solid Soup
05-03-2004, 05:37 AM
I'm interested. I just have to see if I can get the overtime to pay for it first........where is Gemini located anyways?

Panda86
05-03-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm interested. I just have to see if I can get the overtime to pay for it first........where is Gemini located anyways?

=================

E-mail Gemini at info@geminicomposites.com for payment details. All you need to do is leave a deposit, you can pay off the rest when your hood is completed. They are located in Surrey BC Canada. If you're not near Vancouver, they can ship it to you. They are a very professional operation. E-mail them for deets.