PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Hatch Windows

Blade7
09-06-2011, 01:34 PM
So my hatch is too heavy to pop, the glass leaks, and the rear window defrost doesn't work... Why not go plastic? I found a place that will cut me one, and know that there is some interest in people who track and summer drive their cars. They are priced at $110-158 depending on 3/16 or 1/4 thick and plexi glass or lexan. So if anyone wants one, let me know, I will be taking my car to the guy at some point and getting a real price and everything, this is an estimate off my measurments but he says being out by an inch probably wont even change it that much (and I don't think I am that bad at measuring...)

If you are interested, let me know!

Also, anyone have any positives or negatives about the types of plastic or size or anything?

widebodystarlet
09-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Thicker is better, but the rubber that holds the glass in may dictate the thickness you go with. You can't go thicker than the original glass or the rubber will not properly contain it, and thinner will have the ability to pop out potentially. I had a lexan rear hatch window made and it only cost me $60, including mounting it in the window.

Blade7
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow, really? Where did you get that done? That is less then what I found... Are they really a lot lighter?

widebodystarlet
09-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Picking up the hatch before and after the window was put in I didn't even notice a difference in weight. Got it done at Syd's auto glass in elmira. Might cost more for yours because the glass is larger, but shouldn't be much more. I'm just worried about the police pulling me over if they follow me and see it wobbling in there.