PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 supra brakes to fit your ae86

Brian
06-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Mk2 supra brakes to fit your ae86.

Includes coilover conversion on the struts and 30mm roll-center adjuster. Short stroke conversion at no extra charge, if desired.

I've figured out how to do it, and the cost is around $350-400 to make it work. The catch is you have to supply the two mk2 supra front struts, complete, and also the coilover sleeves.

Lemme know if you're interested, if I can get a few guys together, the price will go down a bit.

01. Brian
02. Narfy

76RA24
06-28-2005, 09:55 PM
already got the brakes and coilovers and shortened casings........

however I need some RCA's..........bad

let me know if you will do them seperate.
Pete

speed_ricer
06-28-2005, 10:13 PM
is this all four courners? could i get some more info on this

Brian
06-28-2005, 11:38 PM
is this all four courners? could i get some more info on this

Oops, my bad.

FRONT short-stroke coilover conversion, RCA and big brake package for the ae86. Step up to 10" front brakes. Bigger wheel bearings, stronger front spindle. Stock supra replacement parts when the rotors or pads wear out. No need for custom-ordered wear items. Stock supra wheel bearings, etc.

Catch: you have to find/supply front mk2 supra strut casings, and you won't be able to fit 13" wheels on the front ever again. Supra mags will fit tho :)

I figure a small production run would make it worthwhile for the machine shop.

Old 'Rollas
06-29-2005, 07:44 AM
So do you make it work with a custom RCA with different bolt spacing for the Supra Strut and the AE86 control arm?? :D

I have a set of Supra Struts complete and I also have a Set of AE86 Strut (without any brakes/hubs). I was planning on doing the SS conversion on the AE86 and then seeing if the Supra Brakes would fit with some custom breaings.

For the SS conversion on the Supra Struts, what kind of Strut insert would you use??

I am interested in this very much so, only stuf I have read about this on the internet was somebody using another model control arm and knuckle to get the right bolt spacing and they did not use any RCA or SS.

narfy
06-29-2005, 08:21 AM
So do you make it work with a custom RCA with different bolt spacing for the Supra Strut and the AE86 control arm?? :D
the AE86 control arms, and ball joints are used...

I have a set of Supra Struts complete and I also have a Set of AE86 Strut (without any brakes/hubs). I was planning on doing the SS conversion on the AE86 and then seeing if the Supra Brakes would fit with some custom breaings.
feel like getting some work done to make them work on your car??

For the SS conversion on the Supra Struts, what kind of Strut insert would you use??
you can use the SW20 rear inserts for short strokes... or HTS's... according to tokico, the fullstroke direct replacement insert is the same between the AE86 and the MA60

I am interested in this very much so, only stuf I have read about this on the internet was somebody using another model control arm and knuckle to get the right bolt spacing and they did not use any RCA or SS.
i think the supra control arms are longer, and would give you faaaar too much negative camber to make your car drivable... using factory AE86 suspension geometry (or close to) would be the way to make this work, and not mess with it tooo much...

Brian
06-29-2005, 09:23 AM

Yes. If we do a small production run, it's possible to send you parts to do the conversion yourself. A machinist would have no problems doing the conversion :) I'm guessing the adapter parts themselves will run around $200. The rest of the cost is modifying the struts, welding, painting, etc.

For the local peeps, this is a way to get big brakes for about 1/3 the cost of custom "kits" where spare parts are a bit problematic.

I'm already running supra brakes on my ae86 coupe, it works awesome. Need to adjust brake bias a bit soon, but that's small potatoes. Good for track use too.

Fun part is finding the undamaged front strut/brake assemblies.

01. Brian
02. Narfy
03. 76RA24
04. Old 'Rollas

speed_ricer
06-29-2005, 02:06 PM
sorry i would so love to have pair but i love the 13's that are currently on my car. altho i have a nice set of 14's i just finshed painting

Old 'Rollas
06-29-2005, 06:05 PM
i think the supra control arms are longer, and would give you faaaar too much negative camber to make your car drivable... using factory AE86 suspension geometry (or close to) would be the way to make this work, and not mess with it tooo much...

No, I beleive it was from a Corona Sedan or something equally as rare. The arm was shorter and the Ball joint fit into the Supra knuckle. The author noted how difficult it was to find the arms.

I am interested in the adapter, the rest of the SS conversion I can do here. I have access to complete machining facilities and a welder too. Perhaps I can help you guys manufacture them.... :D BTW, I beileive the Cressida struts should work too as they are basically the same chasis, only stretched a bit.

Sounds like it it time to clean up those struts I have had for the past 3+ years.... :rolleyes:

Brian
06-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Anyone else interested in BIG BRAKES for the front of your ae86? This will be a bolt-in conversion, which can be restored to stock at any time, because you'll still have your complete old strut assemblies.

I'm not doing this to make $$, I'm just trying to do a small production run to keep everyone's costs down. ie, group buy on the conversion parts.

Lemme know if you're interested.

01. Brian
02. Narfy
03. 76RA24
04. Old 'Rollas

Boost
06-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Brian, can you please describe the improvement in braking? I assume it has better stopping distance, stiffer brake pedal, and less brake fade under race conditions? What do you provide exactly? Just the strut conversion and the 30mm RCA's? If so, I would like to just buy a set of the RCA's. I can do the ss conversion and coilover conversion myself as well. Arn't you using stock OEM supra brake pads on the car?

Brian
06-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Brian, can you please describe the improvement in braking? I assume it has better stopping distance, stiffer brake pedal, and less brake fade under race conditions? What do you provide exactly? Just the strut conversion and the 30mm RCA's? If so, I would like to just buy a set of the RCA's. I can do the ss conversion and coilover conversion myself as well. Arn't you using stock OEM supra brake pads on the car?

Yup yup yup. The ma60 struts are not a direct fit into the ae86. The special RCAs will be weld-in, not bolt-on. They will adapt the ma60 struts to fit the ae86.

Stock pads, no fade at 140kph into "turn 1" on the short track at Mission. Basically, ma60 brakes are an inch bigger in diameter, and the rotors are quite a bit thicker. More heat capacity. More leverage on the front tires. Less chance of overheating and glazing the brakes. Softer pedal due to larger front caliper pistons. Brake bias or proportioning is affected somewhat, the rear brakes don't bite hard enough with the stock setup.

I'm trying to figure out if I should have 5 sets or 10 sets of the RCAs made up. They should likely sell in the $200 range, but will need careful fitment and welding onto the bottom of the ma60 strut. This area of the strut is much more highly stressed than the popular SS 40mm cut near the top of the strut.

SupraFiend
07-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Well guess I should pipe up on this one.

Supra control arms aren't any huge length difference then corolla ones. However the swaybar and strut rod holes are quite off.

You can get really good front stainless brake lines for supras from Technafit. Theres a pretty good pad selection too, green stuff, kvr, and my favourite so far that I've tried, PBR deluxes. Awesome on the street, good stick, low to none squeak and same for dust.

Celica Supra strut casings are pretty easy to find. Ralphs Abby, Surrey and Pick a Part all have at least 3 ma60s right now, and Als has a couple too. However RA65 Celica GT and Celica GTSs use the same front brakes and hubs. The strut casings are pretty much the same as supra ones, but the axel is at a different angle, gives a couple more degrees of negative camber over the supra ones ;)

Heres another way to do this swap, use RA6x Celica GTS steering arms. They are about the same length as ae86 ones, they bolt onto supra strut casings and they use the same ball joints as ae86s. The catch is the balljoint is offset differently in relation to the strut casing bolts. It will push your strut casings in a bit and introduce some positive camber. Camber plates will not be enough to compensate for this, but using Celica strut casings should. You should also gain a bit of wheel clearance if you go this route. The only downside is you change the king pin angle a little and should thus run a slightly higher offset wheel to avoid adding scrub. Realisticlly the difference shouldn't be noticable.

I'm about to bolt in my new front suspension which includes celica GT strut casings (same as GTS ones), celica GTS steering arms that I had a custom steering arm machine shop drill out to fit the supra ball joints (the taper is the same as on a ford f150 btw, OTT on Mitchel Island can do this), Tom Motorsport coil overs for a prelude (they have a 240sx application as well which should be the exact correct diameter for our old toys and comes with 350 and 450lb springs), cusco camber plates, JK RCAs and KYB gas adjusts for a celica. I'll probably order the exact springs I want from Ground Control for 60 bucks us once I figure out the exact rates and length I want (probably 275lbs, 7 inchs). Anyways, it should all be in in a couple weeks. Took alot of research and trial and error but should be a pretty sweet setup and it cost me very little, got great deals on everything.

Boost
07-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the information Suprafiend. I'll be gathering most of the parts over the next couple of months. I just found out that Z32 300ZX and S13 240sx calipers are spaced right to fit onto the supra brakeshield/caliper bracket. Very interesting. :D I'm not sure what rotor would fit on there, but I'll measure sometime soon.

SupraFiend
07-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Search around on the forum off of www.celicasupra.com. There are plenty of big brake possibilities for mk2 supras, and yes, the Z32 turbo front calipers bolt right on. There are several rotor options, including WRX STi, PT Cruiser and Ford Falcon rotors redrilled to fit the mk2 hub. Do some research on that board and you can find plenty of different ways to go to get some serious overkill brakes for a corolla :D Hell if your interested, theres a couple easy ways to convert to 5bolt lugs too. Easiest being using 89-91 Cressida (MX83?) strut casings as they're 5 bolt to start with and not much different from supra ones..

Boost
07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks again. Sorry for the threadjack, Brian. I just happened to have some Z32 calipers laying in my garage. My roomate is swapping them onto his S13.

Brian
07-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks again. Sorry for the threadjack, Brian. I just happened to have some Z32 calipers laying in my garage. My roomate is swapping them onto his S13.

The more info the merrier. I wouldn't consider that a threadjack.

As soon as I find a set of straight RA6x spindles, I'm gonna get going on this project.

SupraFiend
07-12-2005, 09:45 AM
the vehicle list at pickapart seems pretty accurate....

http://www.pickapart.ca

says they have 3 of them right now

76RA24
07-20-2005, 06:40 PM
The more info the merrier. I wouldn't consider that a threadjack.

As soon as I find a set of straight RA6x spindles, I'm gonna get going on this project.

so how we doing........ :D

Pete

Brian
07-20-2005, 11:06 PM
so how we doing........ :D

Pete

Been busy organizing a big birfday bash for my grandma. Haven't got the RA6x spindles yet. I gotta call all the wrecking yards on friday or monday, need some other supra stuff too for another project.

anima
07-25-2005, 05:55 PM
brian, can i see a picture of the adapters? this may have popped up at the right time as i will need to change out the front rotors and pads in the near future...

Supra_devil
07-25-2005, 07:42 PM
No, I beleive it was from a Corona Sedan or something equally as rare. The arm was shorter and the Ball joint fit into the Supra knuckle. The author noted how difficult it was to find the arms.

I am interested in the adapter, the rest of the SS conversion I can do here. I have access to complete machining facilities and a welder too. Perhaps I can help you guys manufacture them.... :D BTW, I beileive the Cressida struts should work too as they are basically the same chasis, only stretched a bit.

Sounds like it it time to clean up those struts I have had for the past 3+ years.... :rolleyes:

the cressida struts are similar but like the other cars that are similar they are slightly different.

a new brake upgrade has been discovered for the mk2 supra using cressida parts, it requires 15" rims though. so any guys doing this could have even better brakes. however i don't know that they would be needed as the corrola is so much lighter than a supra and that prevents the fade that supras do tend to get after a couple hard stops.

http://www.celicasupra.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=15097

all the required info on it, and i know i saw at least 2 cressidas at kar-bashers yesterday for and edmonton guys interested, don't know if its the right year. i would be doing this if i didn't have brembos and kvr carbon fibers already.

also anyopne wanting supora struts for this but have no time i would be ok getting them for you as long as i am payed in advance.

TTC
07-25-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure i quite understand the body codes, can u tell me which year the cars parts are, so i know which cars i can pull off of.

Boost
07-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the useful info supra devil. It's a good read.

Brian
07-25-2005, 11:17 PM
brian, can i see a picture of the adapters? this may have popped up at the right time as i will need to change out the front rotors and pads in the near future...

They're still in the R&D phase right now. Vaporware until I find some RA65 struts for cheep. I haven't made this my priority yet, I'm still trying to line up w57/w58 transmission stuff to go with my engine, etc etc. Sorry.