Thread: Sunroof/Power Windows Rewire

Sunroof/Power Windows Rewire

Ever turn off your car with the sunroof still open? How about with the windows still down? Well most of you chumps have manual windows , so you just crank them up, but what if (per chance) you have power windows.

Well, you rewire it all of course! My original idea was to do it like European cars do (even Japanese cars sold in Europe sometimes ) and have something like a 90-second timer after turning the car off during which the power windows would keep working, but taking the advice of a few people and doing some thinking, I decided that it would be even nicer if I had it door triggered.

At that point I decided that the headlight retainer relay was the way to go (it's what controls the "Headlight Auto-Off System"). So I stole the one out of my 87 GT-S coupe and bypassed it, and drew up some wiring diagrams, it all worked out pretty good (except I busted the upper plastic tab on the driver's side fuse box ).

After all that I figured it'd be a good idea to have the sunroof do the same thing! So I wired it in as well. Since most people only have the sunroof, I figured why not post how to do this in case you guys want to.

Here's the diagram I used:

For comparison, the original diagrams can be found on my website.

I'll do one up for just the sunroof in a bit.

I figured a single 30A fuse would be enough for the power windows and the sunroof, (which normally each have a 30A fuse), since each power window/sunroof uses approx 2A normally, and peaks at about 10A each when attempting to move at the end of it's travel. What are the chances you'll be attempting to move all 3 at the end of their travel at once, plus I still think it would be ok, but if I do end up blowing the fuse I'll just add another relay and fuse.

Here is the diagram for just the sunroof:
    Last edited by Jeff Lange; 04-18-2006 at 09:31 AM.

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

:roll Your ae86 is going to be the pimpest daily driver application EVAR!!

subscribed, will be moved to the ref section in a bit.

thanks for the diagrams Jeff.. will do this to Cheap SOB for the sunroof..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Just remember the power going into the relay ("PWR" Fuse) will have to be added, if you run it from the existing fuse, that won't work (since power to both the power window and sunroof fuses is switched). Ask me how I figured that one out... (Or see my previous thread about it, haha. )

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged