Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap 6.7" Torsen -- Better than OBX

Cheap 6.7" Torsen -- Better than OBX

I've done some research into this, and I've discovered that the ST185, ST205, and SXA10 all use a 6.7" rear differential, and all have optional Torsens.

Now, the ST205 didn't come here, so that's a bit harder to find, the ST185 is still pretty rare, but might be able to find one from it. The SXA10 is of course the 1st generation RAV4.

So we'll see how it goes, but right now I'm thinking that I may try and get one for my black car. My plan had been for a long time to wait for the 4A-GZE when I put in a Supra rear end and get a Truetrac diff, but I might as well try to find one of these Torsens in the mean time IMO.

Just thought I'd share that.

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Jeff Lange is the man
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Mr, Lange,
    I for one am very interested in your findings on this! pretty cool indeed, same modifications required as the supra rear end I would assume?
    I will be watching this thread for progress, great idea BTW
    Cheers,

Nah, I'm just talking about the diff case. Using it in the AE86 GT-S rear end.

It would only work with kouki axles, and I'm not sure if they'd have to be shortened.

ah-ha, so I will still have to find myself an 86-up rear end...(I have only the zenki rearend) drat, even still this is a very cool find.

I actually got a quote of $840 for a True Trac for the MKI Supra rear end from the Gear Centre. If they are actually that much there is no way in hell I would buy one.
    Matt H.

$840? Cdn I hope at least.

They're usually about $350 USD.

Either way, I don't see why $840 is so outrageous considering what all the other LSDs sell for.

I think perhaps he is blown away buy the price because they are suposed to be the "dirt cheap" Domestic alternative to "very high" priced imported units.
    At least thats why I am, $840.00? WTH? they are supposed to be cheap:o
    yikes...

Yeah, that's my issue. I have seen them a LOT cheaper in the states. I don't think I'll be going through the gear centre if I decide to go that route. I'm going to give the stock Supra clutch LSD a good try first to see how it performs.
    Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
    $840? Cdn I hope at least.

They're usually about $350 USD.

Either way, I don't see why $840 is so outrageous considering what all the other LSDs sell for.
    I was quoted $1000 cad from a local intown jdm supplier for a new cusco unit, unless maybe its just because I am so cool.

Well the thing is that I know what I'll be getting with a Cusco, KAAZ or TRD unit. With this I'm not so sure it will work well for drifting, or even for Autox.

Regardless, I'd be going to the states if I decide to try one out.
    Matt H.

It's an extremely tough helical gear LSD that you'll never break.

I don't know how well it would work for drifting... but for grip...

Quote Originally Posted by newtoy
    I think perhaps he is blown away buy the price because they are suposed to be the "dirt cheap" Domestic alternative to "very high" priced imported units.
    At least thats why I am, $840.00? WTH? they are supposed to be cheap:o
    yikes...

Why does it seems people always think domestic stuff is cheap or low quality. At least that's what it seems like to me. True-trac diffs are just as good as the imported ones.

Does anyone ever consider all the non-Japanese engines and parts the Japanese companies based their parts on originally? I have to say that they did improve some of it, but they also had the advantage of seeing problems they developed once they were in service.

Quote Originally Posted by icegs
    Why does it seems people always think domestic stuff is cheap or low quality. At least that's what it seems like to me. True-trac diffs are just as good as the imported ones.

Does anyone ever consider all the non-Japanese engines and parts the Japanese companies based their parts on originally? I have to say that they did improve some of it, but they also had the advantage of seeing problems they developed once they were in service.
    I think he was talking about the fact the 'imports' here are from another country, and we probably have more 'domestic' cars here then imports so they are more money and parts usually are too (because they have to be brought in)

and $1000 for professional race type equipment, I think its a heck of a good deal.
    Espically when I've been quoted $1200usd plus shipping from other sellers.

Check out the Chimp for a true trac...

http://www.rabidchimp.com/mk2sup_truetraclsdkit.htm

That price is including the bearings you'll need. He's just in Washington too so shipping would be cheap or you could go down and get it in person if you wanted. He's an awesome guy to deal with.

This diff has gotten extensive autox use. There's a mk2 supra that has finished 5th overall in DSP at Topeka, he runs a true trac. There's tons of people using this diff on the CS forum, many claim it drifts fine and there hasn't been a single case yet of anyone managing to break one. Many people are putting 400 to 500rwhp through them too.

Jeff, the rav4s were awd weren't they? I'm guessing that would be the rear diff on them then? We should dig up the option plate codes on these and find out what to look for. Hmmmm I think I know a wrecker that has some of these too.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 04-25-2006 at 09:39 AM.

RAV4's are FWD or Full-Time 4WD.

Here's the tricky part:
    96-97 5-speed 4WD models had an optional rear torsen.
    98-2000 5-speed and Auto 4WD models had an optional rear torsen.

Makes it somewhat harder.

(I think the rear axle code would be T469 for the torsen, T462 or T464 for non-LSD)

In all of Canada, Car-Part.com lists there as being a 1997 unit in MTL. That's all it lists though.

Quote Originally Posted by icegs

Icegs,

You got me wrong man, "Dirt cheap" is ONLY refering to dollars my freind, I know full well no one knows how to build an LSD like the american manufacterers that have been putting them behind V8 monsters since the beginning of time (not to say that the imports arent great too ) I mean, the torque from many of the big threes muscle cars was crazy, and most guys never considered the LSD as the weak link in their setup, this says to me domestic limited slips are great parts, and as a bonus, waaaaaaayyy cheap (usually) compared to the import stuff.
    Thats all price only comparison

so what's left is to find out if the flange has the right number of holes on it..
    if not then if the ring gear will mesh with the pinion gear already exist in the 86
    if not then if the pinion gear and shaft will fit on the 86 rear end

my guess is no to all questions, since they are more than 10 years apart in design and Celica is a T series chassis and 86 is a E series chassis there is no obligation for the higher classed chassis to match parts with the inferior series.

Toyota makes diffs, then they make the car use that diff, they don't make the diff for that car.

PS: Yes, the RAV4 diff has the same number of bolts. (8).

It's a Toyota 6.7" diff.

Generally speaking, a Toyota 6.7" diff will fit any Toyota with a 6.7" diff.

May need some mix/match parts, but it's the right size.