Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket steering wheel

Aftermarket steering wheel

Anything to look for in particular when buying an aftermarket steering wheel? Any brands people recommend, so that I can do some research on?

Thanks,

Crzy Joe
    A thief broke into my house last night...He started searching for money so I woke up and searched with him

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    find a size you want
    find the style you want

go to a store, put your hands on all the wheels in that approximate size, and see how they feel
    feel one you like, put it infront of yoru current steering wheel to make sure you can still see your gauges, etc... see how it feels...

buy it... and the appropriate hub and hardware (QR, etc)
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Well, don't buy the $7.99 "Bride" eBay special. I could easily break one in half if it were attached to a hub. When it comes to decent wheels (Nardi, Sparco, etc) it really boils down to aesthetic preference and hub adapter choice, IMO.

brands you'll have no problems at all with

momo
    sparco
    omp
    nardi
    personal
    bride

any major manufacturer...
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    fng@regencyauto.com

What about in terms of used steering wheels? I see some on ebay (not the ebay specials) but the brands you've listed. Some of them don't have horn buttons, other seem to have horn buttons but no screws etc.... what should I be looking for on there?

Thx,

Crzy Joe
    A thief broke into my house last night...He started searching for money so I woke up and searched with him

no screws = no big deal
    no horn button = no big deal
    no horn ring = can be a big deal but i'm sure i got a spare
    fng@regencyauto.com

If you're used to the stock wheel, get a 350mm. A 330 is a big jump for you. Plus you'll have to deal with the dish. Being an older car the AE86 has a very dished wheel, most modern wheels are not this dished except for a few specific models. If you're getting a flatter wheel, you'll likely need a small spacer to get the space you need to be close to stock and so that you can reach the signal lever properly.

I would recommend a Sparco Chronos, OMP WRC or Momo Cors, Race or Tuner. They are all available in 350mm.

I have had a Sparco Flash 3 (flat) Sparco Lap 3 (flat) Sparco Chronos (dished) and Nardi Sport (slight dish). The Nardi is my favourite so far, but it's a bit thin in the grip. Great with gloves though.

Also, the Nardi wheels require a Nardi hub or an adapter. Momo, Sparco and OMP all use the same bolt pattern.
    ***TEAM BLUEtop***

By careful ebaying you can save a mint.. I got a Nardi classic in eh shape (perfectly useable, but would need to be rewrapped to be pretty) for $12.. and a MOMO for like 18.. and the MOMO's in nice shape..

best of all.. both came with hubs that i can sell.. muahaha. (non toyota hubs.. anyone need a Miata hub?)

I love incompetent ebay sellers.

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

i really like doug's wheel. dunno what it is on the top of my head...nice size and dish

oh and another big decision you need to make is fabric. basically Leather or suede. leather is alot more durable and low maintanence. gloves are not required to protect the leather. black leather can get hot though on those sunny days. i dont mind the feel of leather, its nice but much prefer suede even though its a bitch putting gloves on when you drive everytime. but my momo wheel i ssuper worn out, yet i still prefer the suede feel and i dont even care how it looks anymore so i jsut drive barehand most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda86
    Also, the Nardi wheels require a Nardi hub or an adapter. Momo, Sparco and OMP all use the same bolt pattern.
    The tekniq QR kit has adapters to allow you to use any combination of Nardi or Momo patterns. So you can use a nardi wheel on a momo hub etc etc. The QR is around 1" - 1.5" depending on what combination you run. If you have a deep dish steering wheel, and a tall hub, you may not be able to reach your turnsignal.

Buy your steering wheel off ebay if you like, and after you get it, get the Tekniq QR, and then we'll figure out which hub you need to make the "reach" where you want it.
    - Brian

BTW, the Tekniq branded hubs and wheels (the ones they make and sell) are actually the same bolt pattern as Nardi. My Tekniq QR top plate has 2 sets of holes, one for Momo / Sparco / OMP and one for Tekniq. It just happens to fit Nardi too.
    ***TEAM BLUEtop***

Quote Originally Posted by narfy
    no screws = no big deal
    no horn button = no big deal
    no horn ring = can be a big deal but i'm sure i got a spare

Ha Ha...I bought a used momo wheel and it didn't have a horn ring.

I was at 86tunning to make one out of some sheet metal...it worked well but took a while plus I cut my finger deep while making the ring.

It's also good to check other forums, I've found some good prices.

i got a spare horn ring...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Any opions on grant wheels, lorco specials, price seems good, styles aren't bad either.

Tim

Very Clean - 85' Corolla GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Panda86
    BTW, the Tekniq branded hubs and wheels (the ones they make and sell) are actually the same bolt pattern as Nardi. My Tekniq QR top plate has 2 sets of holes, one for Momo / Sparco / OMP and one for Tekniq. It just happens to fit Nardi too.
    So, how much shorter would the column be using a Nardi wheel with the Tekniq hub, compared to having to use a Momo wheel + nardi adapter to fit on the Tekniq hub?
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

Quote Originally Posted by The VidKid
    So, how much shorter would the column be using a Nardi wheel with the Tekniq hub, compared to having to use a Momo wheel + nardi adapter to fit on the Tekniq hub?

momo/nardi adapter rings are about 1/4" thick.
    - Brian

Don't forget that Tom's has wheels. Some of them are quite stylish while others are, umm.. well, not so stylish but totally old school. I don't know if they use the Momo or Nardi bolt pattern though.

I have a Momo Course in my MA61. It's much smaller than the factory wheel and the adaptor sticks out a good bit but over-all, it has a nice driving feel. I'll eventually replace it with an older wheel that better fits with the car's style.

Oh, and not having a horn button sucks, but I'd rather do that than put in a new button with the modern Toyota logo or something.
    '85 Celica Supra P-type 6M-GE

Quote Originally Posted by TKiza
    Any opions on grant wheels, lorco specials, price seems good, styles aren't bad either.
    if you like the feel of arcade plastic steering wheels, knock yourself out

Quote Originally Posted by narfy
    find a size you want
    find the style you want

go to a store, put your hands on all the wheels in that approximate size, and see how they feel
    feel one you like, put it infront of yoru current steering wheel to make sure you can still see your gauges, etc... see how it feels...

buy it... and the appropriate hub and hardware (QR, etc)
    And where do you go to buy momo/nardi aftermarket steering wheels?
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

Last time I was at Canadian Tire they had Grant wheels for like $70 :o I want something more decent though.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!