Thread: OEM Lug Nuts vs McGard Lug Nuts

OEM Lug Nuts vs McGard Lug Nuts

When I got my T1R tires, I also purchased some McGard lug nuts + McGard wheel locks.

Now, upon mounting one tire with the McGard lug nuts to replace my old worn out OEM (I'm thinking they're OEM since they're old and all banged up and are what came with the car), I noticed the way they sit against the rim.

The OEM ones have a washer that sits against the rim to hold it in place.

The McGard lug nuts only have the tapered end of it pressing up against the rim.

So, as you see, the OEM washer lugnut has more surface area pressing up against the rim to hold it in place, not to mention at least two more revolutions (meaning more thread) to hold it in place, whilest the aftermarket McGard lugnut has such a small surface are (corner of rim against tapered part of lugnut) holding the rim in place.

Was I given the wrong McGard lugnuts? Should they be going in further and perhaps pressing up against the inside of the rim, because I've seen really LONG McGard lug nuts that look like they could go INTO the rim and sit on the inside bottom ( see pic ).

I'm no lugnut expert, so I'm just wondering if I got the right ones. These are Supra rims.

I'll take some pics of the actual lug nuts if you need to see what they actually look like.

Drawing below NOT to scale.

TIA.
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

the mk2 supra rims require shank style lugnuts, which is what u have. the mcgard lugnuts u have appear to be cone seat. check this out http://www.mcgard.com/custserv/tech_support.asp there are a few pics of diff kinds of lugnuts.
    hth
    1992 lexus ls400
    1987 toyota corolla gt-s
    yesguy!

Quote Originally Posted by VickersGTS View Post
    Dont even think about swapping if you cant diagnose a bluetop and make it run half-decent. Stock 4A's are like lego.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    If you were a real enthusiast you wouldn't care if you got a coupe or hatch if the chassis was clean. Coupes are better in every way except space.

mcguard lug nuts were designed for "tuner wheels" ie tapered lug nut holes. they will work on stock rims but they might damage the lug nuts if you ove tighten since they wont properly seat.

In order to properly fit and center the wheels to the car you need to use the correct type of lug nuts. Right now it looks like you're not doing that

Save those McGuards until you find yourself a set of wheels that needs them. I'm sure that will be fairly soon!

Migs

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

^^ wrong nuts for your wheels. Get the OE Toyota nuts and OE locks from the dealer. Or I can mail you a set of new wheelnuts, just buy the OE locks from the dealer.

- B
    - Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    ^^ wrong nuts for your wheels. Get the OE Toyota nuts and OE locks from the dealer. Or I can mail you a set of new wheelnuts, just buy the OE locks from the dealer.

- B
    toyota quoted me 13 dollars EACH for lug nuts.

200 bucks + for lug nuts is a little retarded, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dansmith11

Whatever dealership you're going to sure sounds pretty pathetic. We GIVE OEM lug nuts away to people on a routine basis. Every Toyota dealership has more leftover OEM lugs than they know to do with and as such there's no reason to charge people for them.

A little FYI for everyone, a lug nut for a 1986 Corolla GT-S is no different in terms of fit and function from a 2007 Toyota vehicle. Alloy Toyota lug nuts are alloy Toyota lug nuts.

OEM Toyota lug locks (I think they're made by McGuard) go for around $35 for a set too!

Migs

Quote Originally Posted by Migs
    Whatever dealership you're going to sure sounds pretty pathetic. We GIVE OEM lug nuts away to people on a routine basis. Every Toyota dealership has more leftover OEM lugs than they know to do with and as such there's no reason to charge people for them.

A little FYI for everyone, a lug nut for a 1986 Corolla GT-S is no different in terms of fit and function from a 2007 Toyota vehicle. Alloy Toyota lug nuts are alloy Toyota lug nuts.

OEM Toyota lug locks (I think they're made by McGuard) go for around $35 for a set too!

Migs
    Not true...the OEM Toyota wheel locks from a 1999 Solara did not fit my Supras properly. They were too long.
    THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
    N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

AE86, S2000, E46M3

I can't see why or how they would be different. What was too long? The shank? Did they actually not work, or did they just look goofy?

Generic Toyota lug locks will work with the AE86 just fine by the way.

Migs

Some OEM Toyota lugnuts are longer than others. The Tacoma and the Cressida lugnuts are longer since the wheel hub is thicker than most Toyota wheels. Poor GTSWanker, I mean GTSJeff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Mcguard makes a shank style wheel lock, I have a couple sets on my cars. They even come with the washer and fit fine in say a supra wheel.
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Werd as above, I have a set on my supras awell.

http://www.mcgard.com/search/default...D=9&GroupID=39

I think I have the one with the part # 21156. FYI it comes with a washer.

Good Luck.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Migs
    I can't see why or how they would be different. What was too long? The shank? Did they actually not work, or did they just look goofy?

Generic Toyota lug locks will work with the AE86 just fine by the way.

Migs
    The whole locking nut stuck out a good half an inch longer than the other ones. Where it snugged up to the wheel was fine though.

Brian explained to me that I shouldn't use them though, cuz it throws off the wheel balance a bit.

AE86, S2000, E46M3

Quote Originally Posted by dansmith11

Pick them up from Migsy, or I'll mail you a set of 12 and you can buy nuts from migsy...

There are a few variations of lugnuts for toyota alloy wheels. Here's the most common:

1. short style, used on ae86 and all corollas with alloy wheels, up to present.
    2. long style, used on current 4Runners and some Camry/Solara, RX300, etc.
    3. extra long style, used on some turbo MR2 and others
    4. open end short style, used on any mag wheel with a centercap that hides the lugs (many Lexus, some older Sienna, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Jeff
    The whole locking nut stuck out a good half an inch longer than the other ones. Where it snugged up to the wheel was fine though.

Brian explained to me that I shouldn't use them though, cuz it throws off the wheel balance a bit.
    Jeff, there are shorter versions available. Plus, if you have aftermarket mags on your corolla, you can still use OE wheel locks, just ask for the ones for a 2005+ corolla with steel wheels... Narfy found some that fit, with a regular cone seat instead of the flat seat with washers.

Edit (June 2008)
    Some of the newer Toyotas and Lexus cars use a larger diameter wheel lug that obviously isn't compatible with the older cars. The new Tundra/LX470/LX570 uses the larger style.
    Last edited by Brian; 06-08-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    - Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Pick them up from Migsy, or I'll mail you a set of 12 and you can buy nuts from migsy...

There are a few variations of lugnuts for toyota alloy wheels. Here's the most common:

1. short style, used on ae86 and all corollas with alloy wheels, up to 2006.
    2. long style, used on current 4Runners and some Camry/Solara
    3. extra long style, used on some turbo MR2 and others
    4. open end short style, used on any mag wheel with a centercap that hides the lugs (many Lexus, some older Sienna, etc)

Jeff, there are shorter versions available. Plus, if you have aftermarket mags on your corolla, you can still use OE wheel locks, just ask for the ones for a 2005+ corolla with steel wheels... Narfy found some that fit, with a regular cone seat instead of the flat seat with washers.
    This is going in the reference section! Thanks Brian.

AE86, S2000, E46M3