Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: I present to you my new project: the racecoupe or superfunhappytime car.

what happened with the por 15 ?

Nice buildup pito..

I must have missed this post.

Almost all of the POR15 I have used hasn't lived up to the hype.. the exception being a few things that were completely rust free when I painted them and even some of those the finish just plain sucked

It doesn't stop panels from rusting after being painted, even after following the instructions... You have to prep the panels anyways to get 99 percent of the rust off.. so at that point you can paint it with a regular paint.

It does leave a quite nice finish, almost powdercoat esque even with a brush, that is one of the pluses of it.. it self levels quite nice.. I was impressed by that fact. I think the 200 dollars though could be spent on a nice epoxy primer and a decent enamel paint and you could get the same results

it is a PITA to get anything to stick to the POR15 once you paint it, it is supposed to be directly on metal, so if you have an area you have to do bodywork on, it's hard to get the bondo to stick to the por15 after you have painted it.

It takes forever to dry, and if you get any contaiminants in it it looses it's gloss and drys very flat and dull.. also the sun makes it extremely hazy

Overall just a very finicky product, although I do like the metal prep, you can get the same thing from dupont though, it's a etching acid, to clean and prepare the metal for paint.. the only difference between the POR15 stuff and dupont stuff is the POR15 stuff supposedly puts a zinc coating on the metal.

Yep.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

this thread is awesome! i should be sleeping but i just had to read the whole thing

POR 15 has no UV protection in it, you have to top coat it with something if its on an exposed area. I have always been super skeptical of POR 15. Everyone raves about it. Any wonder product that encourages you to leave the rust on the vehicle and just treat it goes against everything I've learned working in autobody, which is cut/grind every last spec of the **** off first. Still, I decided to try it out on my beater because I don't have any interest in restoring it, I just want it to not rust away so fast. So far I've run into similar results as yourself but I havn't had it on the car long enough to see how effective at stopping rust it is. No matter what method you choose to attack rust, its never going to completely stop it unless you can access all of the rusted area and effectively coat all bare metal. There are just to many areas on our cars where theres folded metal with rust or bare metal on the inside and no amount of sanding or rust treatment is going to fix that unless you open up the metal and expose all of the rusted areas.

I found a rust converter in the states that seemed like a decent alternitive to POR. Came in a big white clyindrical bottle, it works very similar to POR15. Its milky colored and you can brush it on too and it turns purple once it starts working. It didn't require the metal prep prewash but it doesn't like solvent based degreasers like por and it takes 12 hours to dry! This kind of stuff is for attacking rust you either can't get at with a grinder, or you just don't want to fix properly. I'll keep using it on my beaters and maybe suspension parts, but my nice cars will be fixed properly.

POR15 vs Ontario Winter = POR15 loses

After letting my Tercel dry for a couple weeks in the garage, I removed all the loose rust, even hit the bad spots with a grinder, properly prepped with Metal Ready etc. , applied two coats of POR15 and top coated with primer and enamel. I haven't had problems with the top coat bonding, I think I've got the technique down for that ...but, all the spots I POR15 are bleeding rust ...I definitely say stick to traditional methods, remove as much rust as possible, weld in new steel if their are holes, and use a good metal etch/prep (Metal Ready smells right) and a a good 2 part epoxy primer ......unless it's just a beater and you want a winter or two out of it, then save yourself some money on POR15 and just use good ole cheapy rust paint.

If you have some old rust on a car that doesn't see winter anymore POR15 will work fine (my 86 isn't rusting), but so would probably anything.

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

oh yeah.....

the build-up looks awesome man, I am envious, I wish I had your time and energy.

Suprised you can afford the good stuff being a full time student and hobbyist )

(I'd definitely be scraping for some 24 for $24 honey)

lol

Calabogie this summer?

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

I've given up on drinking, I don't have enough money in my bank account to make it to summer when I can get a job. I've started selling things to try and make some money and I still dont have enough cash to buy like the last 3-4 things I need for my car... like urethane for the windshield.

Thats how I got good stuff. That and I patiently waited for deals on everything. I have been stockpiling parts for a while.

My way of living is affected by my corolla addiction.

Hell yes Calaboogie this summer.

I also use birthdays and christmas presents on car parts, for my b-day my GF got me Front AGX's. I spent yesterday putting them together yesterday so my car has 4 wheels now.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3

your GF rules.....i cant afford AGX's either, or else id have me a pair of coilovers right now

one of my tricks

I always ask for crappy tire gift cards from non-car folk for gifts, that way I can use them to order stuff from keystone at the parts counter

mandrels bends, Act clutches, turbo silicone couplings, DEI heat coatings to name just a few things I have ordered, also good for fab stuff like cutting disks etc, I think they carry tokico and agx's, addco sways, prothane bushings, falken tires etc.

just surf the driverfx website then use the part numbers to order the stuff at the parts counter, and they should come up about 5% cheaper than driverfx too

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

Is that a dent I see in the door??

PS I want to hump those flares.... :love:

It sure is.

604Pmei is offline I help ppl find work / careers
    Hey Pito Bread friend

like your project car "I still dont have enough cash to buy like the last 3-4 things I need for my car... like urethane for the windshield. "

I do work with film and glass.. I will donate 2 tubes of urethane to your project if you will cover cost of shipping~

Paul

I may take you up on your offer... I need some butyl tape for side windows too, I'll gladly accept open and half used tubes/rolls and make them work.

Sadly though I don't think I can call it the n2 coupe anymore.. I'm selling the flares to make enough money to buy some parts it needs to actually run, and get a set of smaller rear flares/skirts so I can run supras with spacers on it and not have it look like bagged ass because I can't afford wheels.

Being broke sucks ass.

use urethane on side window too...

Quote Originally Posted by Answ3r
    use urethane on side window too...
    QFT. i cheaped out in teh first place and im considering redoing them

absolutely amazing dude
    FD3S, FC3S, S13, AE86, AE86, EK9, CD9A, HP10, ROVER MINI

Well, the flares are gone.. Going to go get them and box them up tonight. I have already found some stock fenders for the front that I'm going to lip out and have located some ae92 sideskirts at a local junkyard... I'm gonna have to get some rear flare ness and some wheels spacers.

Some mod needs to change the thread title to the racecoupe or superfunhappytime car.

I also got a pretty "rad" rad off a honda, and a sard air filter off the guy I got the fenders from.. thats my bling to replace the bling I lost.

blingin.

:o the death of a saint!
    nooooo, poor coupe =(
    its been emasculated.
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread
    Well, the flares are gone..

:odd:

:crybaby:

Made this today... well modified it.

sans PS pulley lighweight and 100% JDM