Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '84 Supra 6M-GE turbo project

Sweet. Let me know when you are going to dyno. I want to come and do my car. Maybe we can strike a deal with them. Hopefully before we go I'll have my carbs installed.

G

Quote Originally Posted by got_ae86
    Sweet. Let me know when you are going to dyno. I want to come and do my car. Maybe we can strike a deal with them. Hopefully before we go I'll have my carbs installed.

G
    the edmonton supra club is having a dyno day on Aug 26. starts at 10 at APEX Modified. the more people we get to come to that, the better deal everyone gets.

gives you more time if you need it.

Looking good Dave! Can't wait to see it at the Suprafest Nationals.

What are the wheels from? Specs?

I see a Dean there (Slip). Glad to see he's getting a chance to get his hands dirty working on a supra while he's in exile lol.

very nice

I love checking out a nicely done DIY project, thanks for the great pics. I'd like to know how your ebay bosch replacement valve works out, I need an upgrade, I'm still running a stock bosch valve.

I wish I'd thought to use a holesaw for my one hole that I cut! ...I did, but not til after ..doh.

Question: can you recall what the input shaft play was like on your W58 transmission, the Mk3 W58 I have right now has about 1mm on both input and output. Thursday I'm going to swap it for a MK2 W58, just wondering what might be a typical amount to expect.

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend
    Looking good Dave! Can't wait to see it at the Suprafest Nationals.

What are the wheels from? Specs?

I see a Dean there (Slip). Glad to see he's getting a chance to get his hands dirty working on a supra while he's in exile lol.
    thanks Seamus

the wheels are ARE AR-205s, 16x8 rear and 16x7 front, 0 offset. I got them from Jimi (Supraman) on celicasupra.

Neil - I'll let you know how the ebay bosch valve works out, for anybody looking for one this is the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

As for shaft play on the w58 I'll have to wait for somebody more knowledgable than myself to answer that, as I'm really not sure what is normal.

well good news today, as of a few minutes ago I was finally able to get the car running a very nice way to end to a weekend of watching the grand prix..
    '89 Honda CBR600F Hurricane
    '84 Red Celica Supra P-type
    Alberta Supra Club
    www.supraclub.ca

the last couple days were fun, it was pulling hard to 6psi, got a few things figured out, but it was running hot and then suddenly last night it overheated, fortunately just as I was rolling to a stop in front of home, so I was able to shut it down and let it cool off quickly, so gave the whole cooling system a good flush this evening. At the same time there was a rattling sound, which I'm hoping was the water pump, I'll replace it tomorrow and see if that was the problem.
    I was worrying about BHG when I overheated, but I drained the old oil this evening and no traces of coolant there, so I got off lucky this time I think.

here are a few more pics I took today:

intercooler piping, and you can see the end of the exhaust pipe behind there. driving around with a 3" open downpipe is amusing, I get a lot of stares.

hood liner, which decided to spontaneously combust on sunday evening

engine bay shots:

running very, very rich

Alberta Supra Club
    www.supraclub.ca

retorque head gasket?

don't go too crazy before you re-torque the headgasket

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

Quote Originally Posted by neil85ae86
    don't go too crazy before you re-torque the headgasket

Neil
    done, its torqued to the ARP specs.

cool, now crank up the boost! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Supra_devil
    done, its torqued to the ARP specs.
    cool, now crank up the boost! haha, kidding

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

50mm f/1.8
    - Jerry

85 Cressida | 5M-GE | RIP 11/2003
    95 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi | 3800 SC | SOLD 01/2011
    04 Pontiac Bonneville GXP | 4.6L Northstar V8
    temptingf8.com | Flickr

Hey, have you tried Water Wetter, You can get it at your local Crappy Tire, works good to make a slightly hot cooling system much cooler. Worth a try if you can. Not too expensive either. = my $0.02

And rich is better than the alternative.... right??
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Dave, whats the motor doing right now? YOu got access to a spare if its not recoverable?

Quote Originally Posted by Old 'Rollas
    Hey, have you tried Water Wetter, You can get it at your local Crappy Tire, works good to make a slightly hot cooling system much cooler. Worth a try if you can. Not too expensive either. = my $0.02

And rich is better than the alternative.... right??
    I had actually just filled the system with distilled water and a bottle of the Redline stuff.. what happened wasn't related to what I filled the cooling system with.

Yes, running rich is better than running lean, but only to a point. If you run too rich you risk having your cylinder walls washed down, and other ill effects, which is on possibility as to what has caused my current problems.

I'm still working on tracking down what exactly happened, I'm trying to get my hands on a compression tester, cause that should tell me a lot.

I've pretty much ruled out water pump, the last one I had die on me made very different noise, and it was completely seized, this one spun fine by hand when took the belt off.

I'm not sure what exactly happend, as there are a lot of possibles.. could have been caused by overly rich running, or by going lean in the top end and detonating, could be a blown headgasket, could be that the rings are meowmeowmeowmeowed, there are a lot of possibilities.

Another 5M won't be hard to find around here, but that won't happen in time to make suprafest, I'm just going to have to try to figure out what exactly went wrong and see if theres anything that can be done about it.

:ashamed:
    Alberta Supra Club
    www.supraclub.ca

Yeah, I hope it is nothing serious. Are you able to dial in your injector pulse width with the setup you are running?

And I have a 5M too, it is in Calgary though... if you need a good one. No blow by, new HG and head all redone with new cams, valves (+1mm), springs etc etc.
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

That sounds like a great motor if you do need one! You could get it in in time

Defintly compression test it, that should tell you alot. Spinning it over with a rachet is a safer way to listen to it then cranking on it. Like I said to dean, get a good look in every cylinder too. If its bhg you should have some water in one of them by now.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 07-27-2006 at 12:10 AM.

as far as daves motor being from gas washing the cylinders. No way in hell, i was running richer than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by repinS
    50mm f/1.8
    Haha, it's a $130 lens dude. Pretty much the best deal in Canon lenses available.
    Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraDave

that looks like perfect bait for teh pothole monsturrrr

Update as of a few minutes ago:

compression tested at 105-110.

put plugs back in, started up, turned off quickly. sound was identifiable as rods.. bottom end is meowmeowmeowmeowed. caused by oil filter relocation kit line that was fine at first, but got crimped because it was so close against the turbo outlet/ IC pipe.

SupraFest is off :ashamed:

I'll post more details later
    Alberta Supra Club
    www.supraclub.ca

egh! Oil Starvation... :cursing:

I also have a set up +010" M series (5, 6, or 7) main and rod bearings by Toga... brand new. Still bagged in the box... if you need them when you pull your bottom end apart.
    Bryan
    DK Moderator