Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '84 Supra 6M-GE turbo project

Ugh. Anyway you could get Old Rollas motor in in time? Get some locals to help, its only half a days work to pull a 5m and half to get it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend
    Ugh. Anyway you could get Old Rollas motor in in time? Get some locals to help, its only half a days work to pull a 5m and half to get it back in.
    I've already located an '85 5M to put in, but it still needs to be pulled from the parts car, transported to my place and swapped in. I'm out of town this weekend, and I'm working up until wednesday, and since I can't go I'll be working the rest of the week. I really wanted to go, but its just not workable. Even if I spend every spare minute I have over the week getting the engine swapped in, I don't want to drive 1000kms away on an engine in unknown condition, I can't afford to get stranded somewhere..

I'm bummed out that I can't make it, and that I was Dean's only way there, it is going to be an amazing event, I'm sorry that I have to miss out.
    Last edited by SupraDave; 07-28-2006 at 04:37 PM.
    '89 Honda CBR600F Hurricane
    '84 Red Celica Supra P-type
    Alberta Supra Club
    www.supraclub.ca

It boosts again

I ended up deciding to take the good head off the 6M, and put it on my old 5M bottom end, and finally got it running again yesterday. got a small oil leak to sort out, but besides that its hauling ass.

if anybody wants to see the car I'll be at sun toyota today for our supra clubs show and shine.
    Alberta Supra Club
    www.supraclub.ca

cool. You get it tuned better this time?

6mge

Good job under the circumstances on axle stands and in a laneway its very tough i know.I have the same car with the same engine in it already been swapped but i must ask i didnt read anywhere that you replaced any internals whats the deal with that! get back.

Speaking of which, where the hell did Dave disappear to? My brother hasn't seen any progress on Gen[M]ay either, I don't think.
    - Jerry

85 Cressida | 5M-GE | RIP 11/2003
    95 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi | 3800 SC | SOLD 01/2011
    04 Pontiac Bonneville GXP | 4.6L Northstar V8
    temptingf8.com | Flickr

Genmay? ahhah 2k, :cran:

The above is a inside joke for old old skewl genmayers.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

holy thread bump.

well I guess I should update.. long story short, I managed to kill the second engine also, this time due to detonation (blown head gasket). moral of the story: don't half ass your tuning, an RRFPR is not a good solution. At that point I decided I didn't want to keep dumping money into the car, and threw in the towel on the project.
    Got rid of one engine to somebody who will use it as a core, the other engine is still on my driveway, and I swapped a stock 5M out of an '85 parts car into my supra in -15c weather, and got it running again so I could sell it. It's now living with its new owner in Calgary.

I bought a CBR600 as a replacement "fun vehicle", I came to realize that bikes are a lot faster, and cheaper than project cars :crazy:
    I'm currently driving an '84 22-RE pickup, its slow but reliable. Despite the fact I no longer have to deal with the problems my supra had, I find myself really missing it, it was a lot of fun to drive :ashamed:
    Alberta Supra Club
    www.supraclub.ca

Say it ain't so
    - Jerry

85 Cressida | 5M-GE | RIP 11/2003
    95 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi | 3800 SC | SOLD 01/2011
    04 Pontiac Bonneville GXP | 4.6L Northstar V8
    temptingf8.com | Flickr

Dave posted on celicasupra about the cars death a long time ago, some people on there still think hes doing a build up and is running turboed, even though it has been posted otherwise a few times, lol.

as far as the tuning, i seriously doubt it detonated and BHG, it should have been running way rich with that setup and had premium, so detonation shouldn't have been a problem.

I put some words into the new owners ears about my rebuilt 5m that has MHG, ARP's (a huge list of other work/parts) and less than 10,000kms. as well as my turbo kit thats FS, he's interested and said maybe in spring.

methodman: from what i've heard the stock internals are supposed to hold up to 400 or so rwhp as far as the stress goes. but they would get destroyed from bad detonation very easily at even half that power level. they are more than strong enough for most GTE'ers. forged internals are close to 800USD and don't include rods.. as far as bearings, seals, etc goes the original 6m was supposed to have been rebuilt shortly before he got it.

Dave, don't worry about supra fun, i should have you well covered in that area, i might even let you drive it at a track day or something.