Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AE86 SR5 Engine Swap to...?

AE86 SR5 Engine Swap to...?

Hello,

I'm currently based in the Toronto area and would like suggestions on how to go about upgrading this AE86 SR5 I have here, maybe to GTS spec or something. I'm also wondering if there are any garage shops nearby that might be able to do this job. Thanks.

It's a really big job.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

"It's cheaper to buy a GTS than it is to do a GTSR5 swap"
    - Brian

well with it being cheaper, can't that depend on a few things. Such as how you go about getting the parts. I was looking into it. Depending on how much you pay for the sr5, if you do the work yourself, and if your willing for it to take time. You don't exactly have to use the gts parts, for some you can upgrade then to better parts rather than look for hard to find ones.

I guess it can also depend on the area you live in. Around here most of the ones I find are in the GTA and people want 6 - 8 grand for an alright ae86 gts.

the benifit of the sr5's in ontario seem to be the clean bodies. Most of the sr5's I've seen, even the more "beaten up" ones are in better shape than alot of the gts' for the rust.

Get the GTS, strip it, seam weld it, fix all the rust, swap in a GZE OR a 3SGe
    Do a full JDM Kouki conversion, black on black on black (14" black watanabes)

and enjoy.

Seriously though, I had an SR5 and thought about doing the conversion. Too damn much money.

Wait for a GTS. Find another one from Canada, do what you gotta do. (unless you have deep pockets)

Well I've had the SR5 for about 20 years now (since I was born) and was looking into upgrading it but didn't want to be limited by the 70 hp that it has. That said, I think it'd be ass-hard to find a GTS anywhere anyway, let alone a running parts car. Which was why I was wondering where one could get parts...

freakinbox: Damn, didn't think people asked *THAT* much for GTS cars in GTA. Thanks for the heads up. And upgrading to better parts as opposed to using GTS? Will that be possible for the most part (while being able to run the car)? And will that ultimately let me be able to get a GTS engine?
    Last edited by velocity7; 09-21-2006 at 04:19 AM.

GEEROME is offline owner of the MONEY PIT *sad*
    do a carb'd 4ag motor ...... sure you gotta buy some expensive parts but if done right won't be too bad......
    1986 Toyota Corolla (90hp Track monster)SOLD
    2010 Mazda5 GT (wife's new daily and my winter beater)
    1990 CRX (160hp my daily)

I would have liked fuel injection though... ^^;

I went the gtsr5 route. it has been 1 year 9 months and the car still is not on the road but very close to being ready. =) I got a 84 sr5 coupe with a mint body and 85,000 km on it for 1000 cnd. I got a gts parts car for 150 off a friend that has been sitting for a while and i Had a rebuilt gts motor that i bought for 250. So it was worth it to do the swap for me. It does take alot of time though. it is alot easier to find a mint sr5 than a mint gts here in the toronto area. there are parts cars around you just have to look really hard for them.
    Current Garage:
    84 Toyota Corolla SR20
    71 Datsun 510
    73 BMW 2002

3tc

I see alot of guys in the US doing 3tc swap in the sr5s then putting good suspension and a GTS LSD rearend on the car ...not a bad way to go about it without having to go through all the wiring and EFI headaches that go along with the SR5/GTS conversion.

...but then again, 3tc donor cars in this part of the world are getting ridiculously hard to come by.

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

So say I do manage to get a GTS parts car. Is there a garage in Toronto that'd be willing to take the car and do the swap for me? And how long would it take and cost me to do it that way?

it takes forever to do a gtsr5 swap....
    or you can half-arse it and just swap the engine, ecu, gauge cluster,wire harness and throw in a fuel pump.
    thats how mines is (bought it like that)... still has the sr5 fuel lines, fuel tank, brake lines and (spooled)rear end.
    its not that bad at all. in fact, for some reason, its hella faster than my real gt-s (both have sock engines).

Wow, if it is really that simple I wouldn't mind doing that. But faster than a real GTS? What's the cause of that?

I've just completed the engine swap on my car, at last check i'm up to about 50-60Hrs of my time. I still haven't put the interior back together. There are a lot of stupid small things to do. You can expect to remove the whole interior including the dash, hood, fenders, grille, bumper extensions, fuel tank, fuel lines, wiring harness.
    To the point its a BIG project, you need a COMPLETE parts car, and a place (your own garage) to do it. Unless you are mechanically inclined don't do it on your own, geting a shop to do it would be prohibitively expensive. Buy a GTS unless you enjoy spending lots of time working on your car.
    Was it worth it??? First wide open pull, put a huge smile on my face so yes it was. Would I Do the swap again? Maybe, It was an educational experience.
    I still have lots of stuff left to do, reinstall the interior, change the differential and brake system. It is going to be a while till the car is fully done, Ive put a lot of hours in and many are still needed.

DC:odd:
    Too many ideas never enough $$$, 8000RPM is pure bliss!
    88 GTS coupe
    84 Cali GTS coupe
    Coupes Rule!!

ooook.. and here comes the dissenting voice... at least partly.

you would have to be insane or rich to PAY for a GTSR5 swap.. its not that anything is particularly difficult.. its just a lot of little stuff to move over..

The actual job itself is easy..

With the prices of AE86's still hovering around the "are you serious??" level, I think its perfectly worth doing yourself.. if you have the space and a decent set of basic tools (socket set, breaker bar etc..)

GTS parts cars can be had for cheap.. strip it to a bare shell, get it towed away, sell all the extra parts you don't need to help defray costs, strip your SR5 and move it over.

Only thing working against you is you're back east.. your parts cars arent as nice as ours.. so getting some of those parts OFF the parts car may be interesting..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by neil85ae86
    I see alot of guys in the US doing 3tc swap in the sr5s then putting good suspension and a GTS LSD rearend on the car ...not a bad way to go about it without having to go through all the wiring and EFI headaches that go along with the SR5/GTS conversion.
    That would be pimp.
    ?Spencer M
    ?Member Since :: November 6, 2002

I know when i was considering doing it someone told me of a guy who had 3 gts parts cars he was getting rid of, not sure on the price but the guy told me they were going for cheap as they were going to be heading to the wrecker.
    It depends on how much time you have a week or month to spend on it on how long it will take you to complete the project.
    I figured as long as the car ended up under $6000 for a grand total in the swap then I won.

But if you are willing to spend that much time you can spend it looking for a gts. Met a guy a month ago that bought his gts for $800! thing is pretty amazing for it's age.

not a bad way to go about it without having to go through all the wiring and EFI headaches that go along with the SR5/GTS conversion.
    Well if you have a parts car that has the tank, lines, and full harness is it really a headache. I have to do that stuff to put a 4age bigport into my ae92 sr5.
    the gts and sr5 tanks on the ae86, are they different? on the ae92's I was told they don't have baffles in the sr5 tank to stop the fuel from sloshing around as with a carb thats not a huge deal.
    Last edited by freakinbox; 09-21-2006 at 02:03 PM.

for the 3tc, all the info is in this forum

nice example in the link to the forum;

http://www.toyota3tc.com/forum/viewt...6+3tc&start=15

took a whole 6 days to sell, I'm surprised it took that long!

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

...but then again, 3tc donor cars in this part of the world are getting ridiculously hard to come by.

Neil
    How much power does a 3tc generate?

You could just install the power pack from Paradise Racing which comes with new vavle springs, cams, and carb. Supposed to give 40hp and an rpm of 8000 and costs about $650 us. Making it generate close to the same power as a stock 4age. Not bad really, a lot cheaper than a swap. Probably what i will do to mine eventually.

nice example in the link to the forum;

http://www.toyota3tc.com/forum/viewt...6+3tc&start=15

took a whole 6 days to sell, I'm surprised it took that long!

Neil
    Wow $2000 is a steal for a ride that clean. The 3T-C almost looks like it belongs there!
    ?Spencer M
    ?Member Since :: November 6, 2002

Quote Originally Posted by velocity7
    Wow, if it is really that simple I wouldn't mind doing that. But faster than a real GTS? What's the cause of that?
    i was told that the timing might be hella advanced or something