Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AE86 SR5 Engine Swap to...?

Quote Originally Posted by thumper
    I went the gtsr5 route. it has been 1 year 9 months and the car still is not on the road but very close to being ready. =) I got a 84 sr5 coupe with a mint body and 85,000 km on it for 1000 cnd. I got a gts parts car for 150 off a friend that has been sitting for a while and i Had a rebuilt gts motor that i bought for 250. So it was worth it to do the swap for me. It does take alot of time though. it is alot easier to find a mint sr5 than a mint gts here in the toronto area. there are parts cars around you just have to look really hard for them.

this is all truth and i am very in the same boat. i love my gtsr5.

well another cost factor would be are you willing to wait to find parts for a cheaper price is do you want them all RIGHT now

Quote Originally Posted by stock_ra22
    i was told that the timing might be hella advanced or something

advancing timing doesn't really net you any extra power.. just makes the car rev more aggressively..

all he wanted to know was what engine to swap into his sr5, id go with a 4age 20 valve with itb's 165 hpblack top if you have the money and want to make more power later, silvertop is a better bang for the buck, you dont need to change all the bumpers and stuff i like my sr5 bumpers and interrior jsut fine, all you need to do for a complete mechanical gts swap is a gas tank fuel pump return line 4age, same trany, and the gts rear end with lsd and disk brakes, and buy a decent aftermarket suspension and thats it other then that its all esthetics, if you go with the 20 valve just anull the dash tach and put a autometer tach and your good to go, easy fast alternatives unless you want an exact gts which is just a waste of time and money in my opinion

that also depends, does he want to run premium. We were talking on msn and I recomended a manual tranny put into it and just a 4age bigport. You can still run regular.

Plus the wiring and such isn't an issue with the big port as you can get a complete harness, ecu, and so fourth from another stock gts.

Well, if I don't have to convert all the way to a complete GTS to get a new engine swapped in there then I don't really care too much. Just what engine and parts I need is most important.

By the way, when it comes to aftermarket parts, does Auto Parts Warehouse sell okay?

Here's a question with regards to a GTSR5 conversion. If one already has a GT-S and SR5 (MT), other than the time involved in swapping every necessary part, what other "costs" might one incur?

The biggest problem that you run into while doing a GTSR5 swap is that you are basically taking everything apart. Be ready to spend money replacing countless gaskets and replace semi-worn out parts because it's 10 times easier to replace it while it's out than replacing it later.

Just don't expect that if you have a SR5 chassis and a GTS parts car you're done, you will need $ to get it all back together.

- Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Noir
    The biggest problem that you run into while doing a GTSR5 swap is that you are basically taking everything apart. Be ready to spend money replacing countless gaskets and replace semi-worn out parts because it's 10 times easier to replace it while it's out than replacing it later.

Just don't expect that if you have a SR5 chassis and a GTS parts car you're done, you will need $ to get it all back together.

- Zack
    Ahh... Got it! Fix it now instead of fixing it later. Great, thanks tor the expeditious reply.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    It's cheaper to buy a GTS than it is to do a GTSR5 swap

Quote Originally Posted by velocity7
    Well I've had the SR5 for about 20 years now (since I was born)

If you've had the car in your family for such a long time, then that changes things a little bit. I'd strip the car to the shell (including removing all the glass) and send to a quality bodyshop for bodywork, rust repairs, gussets, stitch welding, and paint. After that, tow it home and start your conversion.

Last time we did a project like this, it took around 80-100 hours (of skilled labour) and BOTH the donor car and the new shell, side-by-side, in a fully equipped garage to do the swap. And both the donor and recipient cars were GTS's. Paint and bodywork came to around $5k. New windshield. Misc trim clips, new seals for everything, etc etc. New sound deadening, new bushings, la-de-da.

However, the finished product makes the undertaking worthwhile.

It's definately easier/faster/cheaper to buy a GTS, but if you're doing it for reasons other than financial, then go for it. But it takes a LOOOONG time to do it "just right."

YMMV,

- Brian
    - Brian

I doubt anyone sells an RWD GTS Hatchback though.

Question though, will doing this sort of engine swap (if I can even find the parts let alone a garage) have any legal ramifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes
    Here's a question with regards to a GTSR5 conversion. If one already has a GT-S and SR5 (MT), other than the time involved in swapping every necessary part, what other "costs" might one incur?
    Off the top of my head, I'm sure I spent at least $500 (more for sure) on flex-a-lite electric fan, tuneup parts, gaskets (intake, valve covers, exhaust etc), heater hoses, ss brakelines, k&n filter & afm adapter...etc. I bought a clean rust free SR5 for approx. $500, a GTS parts car (was a daily driver before I got it) for $1000. Whatever I didn't need from the parts car (pretty much everything except drivetrain) was sold. This pretty much paid for the parts car in the end. I spent a couple of hours after work each day stripping both cars in my driveway over the summer. With the help of two uber good AE enthusiasts, the complete swap was done in about three months. Overall, this was a great learning experience for me cuz now I know a lot more about my AE.

As for legality, swaps have been done a long time (since the hot rod days) so I doubt there are any legal ramifications.

besides if you badge it as a gts or even leave it sr5 alot of people don't know enough about these cars, unless they have had them at some point or wanted one, to know the difference between a 4ac or 4age

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.K View Post
    How much power does a 3tc generate?

You could just install the power pack from Paradise Racing which comes with new vavle springs, cams, and carb. Supposed to give 40hp and an rpm of 8000 and costs about $650 us. Making it generate close to the same power as a stock 4age. Not bad really, a lot cheaper than a swap. Probably what i will do to mine eventually.
    I know this is digging up an oldass thread.. but do you have a link for that power pack? I'm looking on their site right now cause I'm looking at a cleanass SR5

www.paradiseracing.com look their, they just redid the website but be weary. Make sure Luis has the things in stock, ive delt with him a few times and their was much ****ery each and every time.
    I am your 4ajesus

Crazy much,

if your gonna pay someone to put an engine in a car that's 21-27 years old than pick a fun one... 3s-ge, 1zz (if anyone has done this I'd like to see it) or something nutty like a 1uz (a la Steve G) or even 4age with some sport bike carbs. As for everything else... if you're going to trade to a GT-S rear-end and have some cash, than Fcuk the GT-S and get and old supra one or even one from a pill box van. Go buy aftermarket springs and get some Isuzu Trooper rear struts, find something for the front (Camaro?). You have to decide what the car is for; racing, drifting, killing small children in your nieghbourhood... yes this is directed to chronic speeders and guys that drive like arseholes on city streets, cause if you want that... just get some sportmax rims and peel off the sr5 decals... maybe a tofu decal to round it out, if you want a real car and don't have time or knowledge or inclination to take your car off the road for a couple months (and that's if a shop does it) to do the swap, than buy another car. Otherwise, for what you're going to pay a shop to do the swap you could buy all the tools and books (all of which can be found on-line for free {most can be found here in the tech section}) and still have some beer money. Either jump into it yourself or find a creative swap and pay for a mechanic's kid to go to college. If I owned a car for 20+ years, I would've turned every single fastener on that bitch... Ive owned mine for just under a year, and I can say that I've come close to changing or turning every fastener. Sorry to preach... but isn't this site for people that want to fool around with their ride and get some help where they need it.

Final note... engine and power is LAST on the list; upgrade everything else FIRST. Start with shell, then suspension, then brakes, then diff/rearend, tranny, mounts etc, then DRIVER SKILL, then paint, then maybe... just maybe engine, I'm sure I missed something.

Bry
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rock View Post
    -1 for mean spiritedness.

I'm assuming your comment was directed at the starter of the thread.. but I agree that paying someone to do the swap would be pointless, but I disagree that power is last.. I live in ontario.. GTS are a dying breed out here and to find any ae86 this clean is worth the extra effort.. power might be last on the list but 4ac is a joke, hence asking about the power pack to work until something else is worked into the budget. Making a car handle is a must but thats just common sense.