Thread: heater core headache... help..

heater core headache... help..

Hi All,

so i have a few problems hoping someone can help with..

1. like what has been described in the FAQ's... i have little to no heat.. i've stripped away half my dash to get a good look at the cuplit (heater core).. i'll be trying flush method described in Mig's heat story http://www.dreamsofdrifting.com/ae86/heater/index.htm
    any tips or alternate methods would be appreciated

2. in the attached picture i noticed something weird.. in the red area that i've circled i looks like i'm missing a connection. the white circled item is a wire with a spring at the end just dangling. the black circle is connected to a flap inside the heater unit and has a little gold clip on the end that you can't see. i know it sounds simple but i don't know if they should be connected.. if so, can i just superglue these together?

thanks

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    from the black cable on the heater control, it loops down and around and actuated an arm in the upper box (behind the heater control unit itself) and then there's a spring from that arm that reaches diagonally down to the arm you have pictured there, where the spring clips into the arm...

hope that helps... you NEED that for heat
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

so the spring pushes into the gold clip at the end of the lower arm?

yup
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    fng@regencyauto.com

In on this thread..

replacing my heater core soon because the hardlines at the firewall are.. well, gone. New assemblies come with new hardlines right? is it very hard to get the assembly out? (I've already done a complete dash job before, just not the heater core)

cool.. thanks for the info narfy :beer:

Quote Originally Posted by JohAE86
    In on this thread..

replacing my heater core soon because the hardlines at the firewall are.. well, gone. New assemblies come with new hardlines right? is it very hard to get the assembly out? (I've already done a complete dash job before, just not the heater core)
    once u get the dash out, there's a bunch of 10mm nuts (4 i believe) that hold the heater box into the car... remove that box and then one tab holds the heatere core in it's box...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohAE86
    In on this thread..

hardlines.. you mean the two 90 degree pipes that come out of the core, one pointing up, the other down?

then yeah, heater cores will come with those inlet/outlet pipes..

or do ya mean the control cabling?

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend
    hardlines.. you mean the two 90 degree pipes that come out of the core, one pointing up, the other down?

then yeah, heater cores will come with those inlet/outlet pipes..

or do ya mean the control cabling?

Brett

Brett, I meant the former. Glad to hear that I'm not permanantly deprived of heat then! Is it a pretty easy exchange, install wise?

Welp... I watched Brian and PeterH install a core in about 2 hours.. personally.. I take my time and it make a day of it..

Its not particularly difficult.. I just hate screwing with the cooling system.. freakin messy.. and cramped.. while you've got the heaterbox out, lube up the 4 control cables (slowly drip spray lube (SuperLube is my choice..) down the wires until it makes it inside the cabling..

do a search or three on here.. Im sure theres a few threads about heater core replacement..

if the core seems stuck in the heaterbox.. just take the box apart.. its .. 4? screws and 4 or so little clip things.. can have it apart in 1 minute.. then open the flaps on either side of the core and it'll basically fall out..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD