Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Shinanigans: Living your life one flatbed at a time.

Fyi there may be somethinscrewy with our manual rack conversion. I get more angle turning left than right, and my passenger side tire hits the inner fender at lock but the left side doesnt. This is also after I eyeballed my **** straight. Joels doesnt, but he doenst have as wide a track as me.
    I am your 4ajesus

Quote Originally Posted by TTC
    Fyi there may be somethinscrewy with our manual rack conversion. I get more angle turning left than right, and my passenger side tire hits the inner fender at lock but the left side doesnt. This is also after I eyeballed my **** straight. Joels doesnt, but he doenst have as wide a track as me.

your rack isn't centered, that's all.

remove tires. turn steering full left. note the 'top' position of the steering wheel. turn steering full right. note 'top' position of steering wheel. count turns. exactly. divide by two, and put the steering in the center. note position of top of steering wheel, it's gonna be at around 11 o'clock (guessing). Remove steering wheel. Put it back on with the top at 12 o'clock.

redo the above checks. adjust your tierods until the car will drive straight, then check toe.
    - Brian

is the rack actually completely centered on the cradle? if its out even a 1/4in it can mess with your angles hugely.

The wierd thign is, i ran out of tierod adjustablity. I really havent played with it much yet, i spent alot of my day mucking about with fuel lines and the harness in the engine bay.

Started off with the drivers side wheel striaght, but the passenger wheel was turned way way way in. so i tighted up the tierod as much as i could. It stopped and it was still pointing in. So i pulled the drivers side wheel out i think, so that i could make the passenger side wheel striaght lol. I duno i was gettin annoyed with it so i left it. Ill take some measruments tommorow, i checked my car with joels car and we have the same lock to lock. It isnt even, i belive from centre and turning left, its more, and from centre to rigth its less. I forget.

Btw, the outer tierods are the same length on eithe rside right? And the inners are completely different sizes or are they teh same? Maybe i put a LH inner on the RH side or vice versa. Anyway im tired, ill get more info tomomorw. Long day today at the garage.
    Last edited by TTC; 02-19-2007 at 10:25 PM.
    I am your 4ajesus

It's because your ugly, get a new face and your car will like you more.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Everytime i hang out with u i die alil inside.
    I am your 4ajesus

Dude whatever, I stock mini eggs in my bar fridge for your ass.. Which one of your other friends do that for you?
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3

This is true.
    I am your 4ajesus

Quote Originally Posted by Boost
    The Cressi brakes will fit the strut casings, but you're going to have to run at least 15" wheels to clear the calipers.

What I did with my MKII supra brakes was run just the regular celica gt steering arms, stock corolla ball joints, and a buddy on here shortened the celica arms by an inch. Huge steering angle with my stock power steering rack still. I am going to buy some t3 celica supra rca's in the coming months. Supra brakes are really nice, but have a definate bias problem, with more of the proportioning in the front than the rear.
    RA6x Celica GTS steering arms are already an inch shorter then the celica GT ones btw. The whole setup would be bolt in with them. However, I'm pretty sure the corolla arms are still a touch shorter then the gts ones and I think the ball joint hole offset is different so it might change the position and camber of the struts a little. Welding cast iron steering arms is a little dangerous, its also illegal. Brians adapters are probably the best way to do this swap, but I thought I would mention that there are bolt in ways of doing it.

use the celi gt arms or whatever, cut off the tie rod end attachment hole, get a tapered bit to cut a new one in 1/4 thick steel, sandwich it in between your cut off arm and the strut tube... alot safer than welding.

yeah that probably won't work, theres alot of angles at play. The tie rod end surface is at a different angle then the strut tube mating surface. Remember that the strut tubes lean in, and the tie rod ends are twisted so the surface is perpendicular to the steering rack

I have seen what I have described on yahoojp auctions, They were shorter knuckes for more angle.

I like your Idea Pitobread, I have gone the Illegal way and cut my already short celica gts arms in half and overlapped them then welded them back together about 1.5" shorter!!! But the Illlegalness and the possible brakeage at terminal speeds is making me try new ways to get the same result.
    Do you have a pic of the yahoo JP auction? I would like a look, do you think say 1.5x.25" flat bat would be enough? I was thinking of drilling the hole on the sterring arm just closser to the ball joint and lopping off the old hole. What do you think?

Added pic
    my stubby little arms-- I should probably add that these are on my car but never driven, mostly just to see how much angle I could get, and quicker steering ratio too.

Last edited by paulcorolla; 02-26-2007 at 05:30 PM.

your not gonna break those unless u smack a curb real hard.

Thats what I thought, but ask a "welder" about it and they say whats it for. It is realy illegal to weld steering components aparently, they drill it into them at school. I have asked why whats the deal with welding cast? and they wont give me a strainght answer just that you cant weld steering parts.
    Stupid welders. Any one know what welding cast does that is sooo bad? If you can weld up a crack in a cast iron engine block and the worst thing that happens is that it is way harder to machine afterwards why not weld up some control arms?:cursing:

The stock TE27 steering arms are pretty short, but I had to shorten my AW11 steering rods. Now I got serious angle, any more and I would hit.
    "mmmango!"

Here's the angle:

(BTW TTC sick project! Sucks your losing the garage though.)
    "mmmango!"

Joey jo jo What flares did you weld onto your car?

Jebus Jojo... is the rack going to bind at all once it gets into locks from having the steering to straight across?

Omni flares!! FTW11
    That is some crazy angle, I dont think I have anywhere near that much. My cut down arms are about 1/2 inch shorter than the stock te27 ones.